I need some help I am so scared

Posted , 23 users are following.

I feel like being that my consult appt is Oct 12 and they are sending me paperwork and labs to do, I feel like it is really going to come to be and I feel so anxious thinking about it.  I keep thinking about how I'm going to feel the morning of and getting to the hospital without a complete panic attack.  I know I'm thinking ahead but I can't help it.  I want this done because I want to be able to walk again without so much pain.  I want to enjoy my family and do things I love to do.  Thank you in advance...Mary  Also I hope I am replying to the comments correctly do I go to start a discussion or just press the reply button.  I'm asking because I do reply but they never show up!

5 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am only one week out, and yes M1954, I was nervous.......not TERRIFIED mind you but nervous.  The waiting is worse than the surgery, and once that is over, they will have you recouping at home and with therapy.  I think I worried more about the possible side effects etc, than the actual surgery!  When I got home I was then REALLY nervous for a few days, but settled down pretty quickly upon seeing everything was going smoothly.  Yep, it's 'uncomfortable' at the beginning.....finding the right position to get to sleep, even sitting, etc, etc.  Surprisingly, there is not a TREMENDOUS amount of pain with this surgery, for me anyway, I would say it's an 'achiness', but YOU WILL BE JUST FINE!  I was scheduled for an 11:15 am surgery and was in my room out of recovery at 1:15, so it's not a long one.  You will be pretty 'spacy' due to the anesthesia for at least the rest of the day, and I also had what they call a 'block' so that I wouldn't wake up in pain.  Brain fog and all, the physical therapist had me up and walking at about 7:00pm, for just a short walk down the hall with a walker, and it went well!  It will be one day at a time, and you will see a very slight improvement every day.  You will be just fine, and it will all be so totally worth it!  I'll say a prayer for you!

God Bless!  Terri

• Posted

I am only one week out, and yes M1954, I was nervous.......not TERRIFIED mind you but nervous.  The waiting is worse than the surgery, and once that is over, they will have you recouping at home and with therapy.  I think I worried more about the possible side effects etc, than the actual surgery!  When I got home I was then REALLY nervous for a few days, but settled down pretty quickly upon seeing everything was going smoothly.  Yep, it's 'uncomfortable' at the beginning.....finding the right position to get to sleep, even sitting, etc, etc.  Surprisingly, there is not a TREMENDOUS amount of pain with this surgery, for me anyway, I would say it's an 'achiness', but YOU WILL BE JUST FINE!  I was scheduled for an 11:15 am surgery and was in my room out of recovery at 1:15, so it's not a long one.  You will be pretty 'spacy' due to the anesthesia for at least the rest of the day, and I also had what they call a 'block' so that I wouldn't wake up in pain.  Brain fog and all, the physical therapist had me up and walking at about 7:00pm, for just a short walk down the hall with a walker, and it went well!  It will be one day at a time, and you will see a very slight improvement every day.  You will be just fine, and it will all be so totally worth it!  I'll say a prayer for you!

God Bless!  Terri

• Posted

Ooops.....sorry for the double post!  Did something wrong, but I forgot, they will give you something at the hospital to relax you once you're prepping for surgery.  I forget exactly what they gave me, but it took all the nervousness away. 

• Posted

Yes I think I'll definetly need that.  I have had propothol for colonoscopies and I had eyelid surgery and had that.  I wonder if they use that for major surgery.  I felt really good when I woke up.  I'll have to ask  Thanks again

• Posted

Hi there don't be frightened I was terrible I

cancelled my op dates three times ,but i realised

I couldn't carry on in such pain o/a and bone on

bone,walking like ape woman,every thing such

an effort ,no sleep need I go on.Now 11weeks

on all that pre op pain has GONE unbelievable

just discomfort from op which after the other

pain you'll cope .It will be the best thing you

can do really it will,on the day you go in you

just go into auto and get on with it once in

hospital they just take over carding for you

and before you no it ,it's all over you can't

carry on as you are you'll onlyget worse

you no that .I'll be thinking of you big hugs be

bravexxx😰 😅 😄

• Posted

thank you so much Anna I appreciate it so much  Hugs right back to you!!
  • Posted

hi mary, 

chiming in with previous responses, darling -

this is a very challenging time - it was for me - 

try not to worry too much about October 12 ... it'll come - 

you can expect to feel anxious or maybe calm and at peace ... who knows .. you will find out once you cross that bridge -

Big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thanks Renee I always enjoy your posts!  Big warm hug right back❤️
  • Posted

You go in for the op for it a week before me mine is on the 18th i know the feeling well but i just think of the pain on a bad day and how it wont be half as bad after 😉 hope it all goes well

• Posted

Thanks dominic!  I will pray that all goes well with you😊😊

• Posted

My surgery is next Tuesday, Oct 4th.  Never thought I could be so scared about anything.  But I get so much comfort in reading the posts here.  We will get through this.  Best of luck.  You're in my thoughts.confused

• Posted

Be thinking of you Patricia.  I agree, this forum is fantastic.  It's warming that so many people want to encourage & assure others.  Ray

• Posted

I'll be thinking of you. I'll be there before long. I'm so happy we can be there for each other??

• Posted

Good luck Patricia. Keep focused on how good it is going to be without the OA pain in your hip, when you can stand tall again and you reclaim life''s ordinary and not so ordinary activities!

Big hugs,

L

• Posted

Oh Patricia I'll be thinking of you.  From everything I read it will be the best thing you can do.  I'll be there before long.  I'm tired of not be able to walk without pain.  You can do this it will be worth it an I just know you'll be fine.  I have to realize the nurses at the hospital know how nervous we are about this and I'm sure they will know just what you do to make us feel at ease.  Best of luck to you and YES we can get through this. Sending hugs😊😊😊

• Posted

I know that you're exactly right.  I can't go on with this pain for the rest of my life.  Just the slightest bit of trying to shop or visit the next door neighbor leaves me with more and more pain.  As someone once said:  I'm just going to show up at the hospital on Tuesday and let them do what they do best.  It just can't be as bad as it has been the last few days.  My last step would be a wheelchair and we just can't go there.

I'm hoping to be home by Friday or Saturday and I'll check to see how you're doing.  You're right.  We can get this done.  Take care.

• Posted

hi patricia, 

the wait is almost over - one more day to fuss and freak out - all part of the journey - it IS a big thing and we know all about it - so easy for us to say now that :Oh it is nothing ... duh ... on hindsight, right -

I actually had to take anti-anxiety meds as I fel paralyzed from fear - 

Just go with it, darling - it is okay -

come back here anytime - no better support group than this one -

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

I'll be thinking of you and I will look forward to hearing from you  Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.