I need some help I am so scared

Posted , 23 users are following.

I feel like being that my consult appt is Oct 12 and they are sending me paperwork and labs to do, I feel like it is really going to come to be and I feel so anxious thinking about it.  I keep thinking about how I'm going to feel the morning of and getting to the hospital without a complete panic attack.  I know I'm thinking ahead but I can't help it.  I want this done because I want to be able to walk again without so much pain.  I want to enjoy my family and do things I love to do.  Thank you in advance...Mary  Also I hope I am replying to the comments correctly do I go to start a discussion or just press the reply button.  I'm asking because I do reply but they never show up!

5 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Don't worry! This is a very common operation now that us baby boomers are aging. The success rate is well over 90%.

There will be so much relief that your pain is gone... just gone. All the back aches, hunched posture and limping will be GONE!! Yes, you will have different "pain" in recovery but to me it was nothing compared to before. You will feel more achy and stiff and weak.

Remember, your new hip will be mechanically perfect. It's just your muscles have to heal around it to support it. It's a long, boring and mentally frustrating recovery, but I would not say painful.

The sooner you get it done the sooner you can start living your real life again. You will feel much younger and alive! It's so worth it!

• Posted

Thank you so much Canada. Your post really helps❤️
  • Posted

My left hip replacement is 7th october.  I've had 2 other ops over the past 20 months & both have turned out great.  The medics, nurses & physios have been great, really helping me through each procedure & I'm sure I'll have that same support this time too.  Just looking through this forum I'm encouraged by the way people find that little bit of improvement each day & I'm sure it'll be the same for you too.  The people treating you & looking after you are consumate professionals.  If you need further support, this excellent forum is just a keyboard away.  Every blessing to you.  smile

• Posted

Mary, Its perfectly normal to be scared but as our Rocketman says "all you have to do is turn up they do the rest" I wanted to turn round on the way to the hospital but my hubby was braver than me. I'm 7 weeks post op today and can honestly say its the best thing I've done, I've just googled my surgeon and in 3 years he's done 454 hips with less than 5 revisions so rest asured they know what they are doing. Take deep breaths, DONT watch the Video, come on here for advice (they are the very best) and look forward to getting your life back.

Big hugs xxx

Kim

• Posted

Kim thank you so much! I know what you mean about getting to the hospital I get anxious just thinking about it. I know I have to be brave and know I can do this. I'm gonna try to look at each day as an adventure one day at a time and know that I am being led in the right direction. Think of all the nice people I'll meet !! I've already met so many right here????

• Posted

The staff where I was were awesome, The ladies on my ward were wonderful, I only spent one night in hospital (because I'm a stroppy cow) take my advice and stay in until they come with a cattle prod to get shot of you. Make sure you've got plenty of support at home too (again I'm too independant for my own good) I was loaned a triangular pillow which was a god send, I also bought myself a reclining chair (there are two camps regarding these, but my physio said they are fine) I slept in it for the first week or so. Its not an easy road we travel but the benefits far outway the discomfort.

Take care sweety and keep us informed xxxx

Gentle hugs 

Kim 

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. Hugs to you😊😊

• Posted

Normal to be afraid I was terrified. Has a left hip 3 weeks ago and it's coming along nicely. I too want to enjoy life again so I had no choice but to do it. Dr said hip was really bad so glad I didn't put it off. Get your house ready put things up so you can reach them cause you can't bend over. Get some short night gowns and I got boxer shorts underwear so they don't bother incision and they worked great. Take your pain Meds every 4 hours without fail I just got to the point where I can go longer than4 hours . Sleep when you can and do your exercises faithfully . Good luck to you hugs 

• Posted

Hiya,

Absolutely nothing to worry about although it's only natural to be concerned and on edge prior to a major operation.

I have been and hope to continue to be an active sportsman. I've played sport all my life but over the years I have had quite a few operations on shoulders and legs in order for me to continue playing. I also suffer from depression and have had panic attacks and yet I've always been fine with operations. Yes, I do get the butterflies in the stomach and a little anxious but I've always been able to come to terms with it by convincing myself the operation is for the better and with a little bit of effort and rehab afterwards I will be much the stronger for it. In fact, I've now got to the stage where I 'challenge' myself to not fall asleep when they put me under! Never managed to stay awake once!!! Besides, when you wake up it's all done - you have no idea what's going on on when you are under and you have total confidence in the surgeon to sort you out.

7 years ago I had a hip resurfacing with SMA and I had no problems whatsoever - she is definitely the best and I was completely happy to pay extra (my insurance didn't cover her costs completely) to have it done. Cannot speak highly enough of her. Unfortunately, for no reason other than an existing condition which has caused issues with the resurfaced hip I am lining up to have a full THR in order to reduce the size of the metal hip and to prevent it catching on my surrounding tissue. I have absolutely no concerns whatsoever. This time I am seeing Professor Alister Hart from the London Clinic. Again someone who is highly recommended. My view is I have done all the research I can, I know this person is very qualified and there is a good chance I will resolve all the issues I have. The alternative is to have pain and continue to wish it to go away.

Stay strong, be positive and within a short space of time you will be looking back thinking that wasn't too bad at all! smile

• Posted

I'm 27 and had a total left hip replacement on Monday of this week, (yes I'm young) it was the result of a terrible accident when I was younger which just got progressively worse, I was more than worried when I actually went into the hospital, but sometimes you've just got to suck it up, and hope for the best, my quality of life before the op was none existent, it had damaged relationships, (for reasons I'm sure you can imagine) and I just had to bite the bullet, anyways four days out and yes I'm in pain, yes the bruising is bad, but I'm here I can move and I'm alive! I wish you all the best for your upcoming surgery, just think I better life could be waiting beyond those theatre doors! Good luck Adam x

• Posted

Thanks Adam!  All the best to you in your recovery😊

• Posted

It's understandable and most have been there. I am a visual person, so the more I read, the more videos I watched of the actual surgery, the more I was ready. I had more questions about AFTER then

about during surgery. I am 17 months out and no pain; at least from before. My advise from my primary doctor was - do everything you are told because there are no do-overs. I had home health care staff (nurse, physical therapist and occupational therapist

) for the first 4 weeks. I called them my dream team. My recovery was swift and I was off all meds in 4 weeks. If you have chosen the right doctor then you will be fine. You have a lot of people praying for you.

• Posted

Thank you so much it means so much to communicate with others that have been there.  I agree with watching the videos it helps me
  • Posted

I was sooo frightened, thought I'd die.  Alive to tell the tale - 8 weeks today - no pain.  Trust them and good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.