I really need help on this and its serious i have to give up smoking now

Posted , 9 users are following.

i have to give up smoking now because its making me so ill i am on borderline copd, i have trouble breathing, wheezing a lot , keep getting sore throats, and bad coughing making me thing i have bigger issues like CANCER, i have had a brain tumour i know its not linked but it does scare me a bit, i have allergies so have to be careful what i take to give it up, tried lots of times , but just put on lots of weight, can not have that, i am a woman with eating disorder, so please any help i really need it i am going in to have surgery in october and they will not do it unless i give up smoking, my last chance, frownfrownsad

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi been there etc.  I was a heavy smoker for 44 years and managed to give myself copd.  Fortunately it is mild but I did manage to give up last year using patches and the white inhalator. I never thought I could.  What made the difference for me was joining a quit smoking site.  I don't know if there is one on here but I joined the one on the Health Unlocked platform.  This is a great site and I got so many positive messages and support that I was able to stop.  You don't realise when you smoke how many negative messages others give you such as 'You will never stop'  Or 'Are you stupid or something'  or even 'Give it up it's easy'  The person who said the last one to me nearly got decked but did get the rough edge of my tongue.  I did stop once before for 3 and a half months but went back to it.  If I hadn't I might not have got copd.  

It can be very hard to stop and I am still craving a bit even now but it is doable.  Many think that running you down etc.  will encourage to you stop - it won't.  All it does it make you feel guilty and stupid.  The way to get someone to stop is to encourage them and tell them they are strong and you believe in them.  It's building them up and not running them down.  Good luck.  If I can do it then most can.  x

• Posted

Hi thank you so much for showing interest in me and my problem it is serious i have insomnia and i am smoking all through the night , which is a catch 22 smoking keeps you awake! i hate that there is so much you can do but so little support in the countryside than there is in the city, i will go back to my doctor he is very helpful.
  • Posted

I don't advocate smoking, no one would but let's face it, it's an addiction.  I had my first ciggy when I was 10 years old, forced into it by my bully of a brother.   I am now 72 with manageable COPD and still smoking.  Due to the stresses in my life it's impossible for me to give it up plus the fact I enjoy it so much.  What I don't understand is that many people on this forum have given up anything from 5 to 20 years ago but they still have COPD.  So what's the point in giving up especially at my age?  The stress involved would be too much and stress is just one reason for smoking.  Answers on a postcard please!!!!

You have so many problems, bless you, all I can say is that you have pointed out that other people have many more problems than our own and I know we all wish you well.

• Posted

Your right about one thing people who smoke for years and then get told they have copd and the damage is done then decides  to give up ,i do not see the point, only if it stops it getting worse , there is no cure, i have a dear friend and the state she is in and yes its from smoking, and she was told to give it up and she did not, too late now and her sister and brother died of it, so i believe it runs in the family, but my other dad was told to give up at 70 and like you said the stress would kill him, he still smokes and is a happy chappy at 86, so you tell me ,you carry on doing what makes you happy, the only reason i need to give up i need an operation and that will not do it till i give up!!
    • Posted

Maybe I wouldn't give up at your age either, although what is manageable now might not be in a year. Smoking is not the only cause for COPD, so I don't think the length of time that people have stopped has much to do with it or guarantees anything. Some people will get it and some never. Some never smoked, but lived in a polluted area or worked with substances that damaged their lungs.

They do make out nowadays that every illness under the sun seems to be caused by smoking and that I do not buy. I do believe however that it can contribute as our lungs are the filters of our body and damage to them will make it harder for a body to heal from illness in general.

Still, not being able to breath can be a good motivator to stop inhaling any kind of irritants.

I enjoyed smoking as well and it relaxed me when I was stressed. I liked the social aspect of it and still miss that a bit. The whole ritual attached to smoking is what I missed most (I rolled tobacco). Not enough any more to make me start again though. It's for a lot of smokers hard to find something that can replace that. Keeping your hands busy might help. I'm a creative person so for me that worked.

• Posted

How I agree with you Torro, they blame everything on smoking but we all know that air pollution in this country is very bad especially in the cities.  What about climate change?  They can't blame smokers for that (or can they)?  Jay babes, I have heard many times that people who gave up smoking, have then suffered even more chest problems.  I kid myself that my lungs would collapse without the tar holding them together!  I heard a story about an old lady, 101 years old, who smoked until the day she died and her carers said she was still smoking three days later!!!!  Life is very short, the NHS cannot cope and social care for the elderly is failing.  I intend to enjoy each day as it comes.

I wish you well Jay babes, you are in an unenviable position bless you.

• Posted

You do not see the point Jay?  The point is if you keep smoking when you have a diagnosis of lung damage already, have any chronic illness, have had cancer of any kind, by continuing to smoking you are shortening your life and risking a more uncomfortable death and the duration of life before that happens you lose more and more quality of life.  That is the point in stopping smoking.  Giving up is not good, stopping is what you aim for.  Sounds like you are very willing to easily justify continuing even when you know its your opportunity to have the operation you need.

In addition people with copd that continue to smoke, with each cigarette they smoke more damage to the lungs, more risk of lung infection, more risk of further damage, more risk of reduced quality of life, more risk of dying prematurely than need be, more risk of a very uncomfortable death.

Those are the realities. 

When the body has disease of any kind, ie health issues, smoking of any kind is hindering the body to cope with any illness.

But any one can choose to continue to smoke or to stop, it is the individuals choice and their decision is based on what they value the most. Amazing some value smoking over their health and life.

• Posted

Its your choice deanne, but the point is you have damaged lungs and the more you smoke its more likely you will increase the damage, further damage means more lung infections, more difficulty breathing , loss of quality of life etc etc.

You can say air quality is bad so what's the point !!  So if you smoke and the air quality where you live, town, city, country wherever that is, you are doubly increasing your risk of further damage to your lungs.

Jay's post was for help on stopping so reason not to give up may not be helpful to people with damaged lungs and  living with long term chronic illnesses.

• Posted

Vee,

I have seen this first hand. When I was small (early 1960s), my 72 yr. old step-grandfather had COPD. Bedridden, on oxygen, and using a nebulizer he still continued to smoke and to drink (GIN). He lived on a Railroad pension and could afford a woman to help him out twice a week. I only got to visit him for a few minutes 2 to 3 times a year. 

I too now have COPD and have a clearer understanding of what he suffered. He finally chose to shoot himself in the head rather than continue to live that way. 

All the preaching in the world won't make some people change, they must commit to that change because it is what they want to do. Sometimes life and the daily task of ever more difficult routine task weighs the scale in favor of better good sense. Like my step-grandfather, some will never change and they just get worse until they come to the end.  

• Posted

I agree Larry it is very sad I've watched too many go too soon because they never gave up the fags soon enough.  Granted we have to go sometime, but it awful watching someone deteriorate before your eyes and nothing any one can say will prevent that happening.  It is down to individual's choices.

That's awful your step grandfather shot himself.  Have to say some deteriorate to the point of not having the breath to get out of bed, go to the toilet so reaching for a gun wouldn't have been possible aside from the fact most in UK don't own one.

I hope you are managing to stay stable larry.

Best wishes V

• Posted

Change the word fags for smokes or cigarettes smile wink
    • Posted

Vee, I find your responses to most posts on this forum, rather sanctimonius.  Of course you are mostly correct but life isn't isn't like that is it?  If we all lived life to the letter this world would be a much better place.  But we all have our weaknesses and Jay has an awful lot to deal with.  Empathy goes a long way these days.

• Posted

deanne77778  -- 

Regardless of your views of my posts this is a support forum, Jay was asking for help in stopping smoking and there is no way justifying smoking on a COPD forum helpful regardless if you or any one else thinks there no point in stopping smoking.  I have said precisely how it is, the choice is the individuals.

As far as valuing our lungs and health are concerned regarding smoking with a diagnosis of COPD that also is down to individual choice.  We mostly all know its difficult to stop smoking, we've mostly all been there.  In addition its a serious life threatening consequence of continuing to smoke with COPD or any other progressive or chronic illness.

You may feel its too late for you but be aware not every one is of your age or your views.  Hopefully there are many who are not of the same mind as you and they will want to preserve their lung health and quality of life and not risk having a shorter expiry date.

• Posted

Jay whatever choice you make, I wish you well

Wishing you every success in achieving smoke free and success for your pending operation, a good recovery and better health in the future.

Best wishes V

• Posted

Hi its jaybabes i would love to thank you all for your all help and advice on what you think i should, i can see you all have different opinions and that is natural , but i think that all of you are right in your own way, because it is really up to the person who is doing what they want to do with their own bodies, it is great to ask for advice, but not to be told they are stupid for doing what they do, everyone does it for their own reasons, you only have to look on this forum to see that there are thousands of people with different problems, and most of them are heart breaking, i since i have joined this forum i have not only asked for help and advice i have given lots to people too, and many have pm too, you only have to look at my profile to see what i have been through,so i am so grateful that you are  so helpful towards what you think i should do, i know that smoking is bad and cause lung disease, and other problems, but if Deanne wants to carry on smoking its her choice, like she said the stress of giving up would probably kill her lol, and we know that stress is one of the biggest killers in the world, and Vee is right we know that smoking is terrible and if doctors have told you to give up because its only going to get worse, than if you carry on and you do get worse then you only have yourself to blame, i know in my heart i have to give up smoking but i have to do it in my own time, i have cut right down , so by the time i need my operation hopefully i should have packed up, and i will not have put weight on, because i will have the lungs to do my exercises lol , thanks everyone, and good health and happiness to you all , xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.