I really need some help

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had restless leg syndrome for several years and over the last year have been on ropinirole 3mg daily.  This worked for a while but over the last couple of weeks I have been desperate its back and with arms involved as well now.  It happens when I get into bed mostly but over the last week or so I can get it anytime.  I can't keep still, can't lay down, can't sit.  Someone suggested Magnesium so I take that as well now but I am in a terrible state when it happens.  GP says i am on a high dose of medication and that was that.  I can't go on like this.  My dad is terminally ill and we live 6 hours away.  We frequently make the journey and stay in a hotel.  This means that I am pacing in the room and my husband can't sleep either.  I don't know what to do.

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I don't suffer from these gastric problems but am gluten sensitive. I'm now essentially gluten free but remember that pineapple, particularly the core of the whole fruit, was very helpful, more so than papaya extracts.

I wouldn't try or let myself get prescribed iron/ferrous sulphate – leave that compound for killing the moss in the lawn! I used to buy capsules containing Blackstrap Molasses with 15mg iron as ferrous gluconate but they've stopped selling them. When these capsules run out in a few days I shall be trying some with ferrous bisglycinate chelate.

Iron is needed to make dopamine and I believe generally people who develop RLS because of low iron levels come clear of it again as soon as they resolve their low iron problem. But it does also occur to me that not everyone with anaemia has RLS.

Iron levels in the body are circadian, so research has looked at this in relation to RLS. There seem to be iron regulatory proteins (IRP's) that control the amount of iron cells have to make dopamine and it may be these IRP's that are circadian controlled. However, RLS studies also show (from corpse examination, I believe) that dopamine is not always low in RLS sufferers. There are other circadian-controlled substances, Tyr and AAAD, which control dopamine production in the presynaptic neuron. There may even be circadian-controlled substances affecting the way dopamine crosses the synaptic cleft.

So, in summary, definitely you need iron, I don't think there's much sense in taking too much which might poison the liver. Also, if you do take iron you should also make sure you get enough zinc and copper because the three compete for substances to bind to when being digested – and indeed, from my own family experiences, this is something your GP may not tell you.

[It seems my naming companies caused problems with my post above.]

• Posted

Hi Robert.  I too have read that iron levels have a circadian rhythm.  So it makes sense to take it at night when levels allegedly fall and alot of us develop symptoms.  My understanding is that we with RLS do have plenty of dopamine just a poor transporation system known as dopamine receptors.  Supposedly iron is what shores up our receptors yet our brain tissue has so little of it.  I don't know how you feel about the iron you take but for me it goes beyond getting rid of the RLS, it feels like a sleeping pill as well.  I'm down and out for the count, but I have to take it on an empty stomach.  And I agree with you that unless you're anemic there's no point in overdoing it.  So I only take it once an attack sets in.  That's the problem with the dopamine agonists, not only do they down-regulate our receptors further, but you have to take every night and how do you know for sure you are going to have RLS every night?

I've been researching things that up-regulate people's dopamine receptors...mostly to help with addiction.  I read that consistently under-eating or intermittent fasting will up-regulate as well as anerobic exercise.  I also read that a substance call Uridine 5 Monophosphate will up-regulate receptors.  I bought some on Amazon and tried two nights in a row.  WORST RLS both nights and felt wired.  The iron took it away but then I awoke at 6 or 7am and had RLS again which I never do.  I'm going to try taking it during the day.  It might be something that you need to take during the day for awhile, suffer through daytime RLS, but in the process it will upregulate the receptors so that there is no night time RLS.   Magnesium taken at night will also have a similar but more mild affect in terms of provoking RLS.

We can't sit on our hands and pray for a new cure or treatment, we have to actively seek out new solutions and try them, provided they are safe.  I felt the Uridine was safe because it is found in mother's milk and they add it to formula because it is so essential.

• Posted

Hi Udon. I usually take the iron during the day at mealtime and I also often take a teaspoon or two of magnesium citrate with a protein shake, but the only thing I have currently that will fix my RLS, which I do get (or would get) every afternoon/night, is ropinirole. (In fact I actually started taking the iron because I felt the amount of exercise I took required it, and I perhaps take the magnesium primarily for bone health.)

I think research tends to show that enough available iron is not generally the problem; it's the getting the iron into the cells which is controlled by these iron regulatory proteins which, from my information searches, seem to be associated with our circadian rhythm. But they're not the only substances related to dopamine and our circadian rhythm. There's aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase, AAAC or AADC, which converts L-dopa to dopamine and there's something called des-tyr1-gamma-endorphin (DT gamma E) and I guess there may be more still. How it all works together would seem to be a mystery to everyone.

I'd not heard of Uridine 5 Monophosphate before but have read about increases and decreases in dopamine transporter population and its likely association with RLS.

• Posted

Hi lynne

my best suggestion is that you read the discussion "restless legs and diet"

the FODMAP diet works for some people.   For me it is not yet a complete cure but i am getting a lot more sleep than I hadbecome  accustumed to.

Read the information and look at the suggested web sites.

i recomend a dietician to help you.

i am appalled to hear your doctor treats you so badly.   I have to assume that the UK medical system is dreadful

if you have any questions about fodmap please feel free to come back here so i can help as much as possible.

i am not selling anything to do with fodmap diets as you will see all the information comes from the Monash University who invented it at the cost of a book or a phone app.   There are also other sources that have adopted the fodmap diet.

it was invented for irritable bowel syndrome but there are a few rls people who have benefitted

good luck

Graham

• Posted

Hi Graham, sound like the fodmap diet could solve a few of my issues too. I will give it a go, thank you.
    • Posted

Good luck

I hope you are among the lucky ones who it helps.

It apparently helps about 70% of ibs patients but I have known 5 RLS people whoi have tried the diet and  four have reported significant success.    A couple are still on low doses of medication.   I cant take any of the medications I have tried so I was very happy that the diet worked for me. I have recently found that I can get excessive with even low FODMAP foods  Recently mandarines came into season so I was eating 6 a day  -   bad move so I cut them out and I am improving again.   I expect that when I return to normal I will be able to eat one or two a day.  The message is to eat a variety of allowable foods.

I hope to hear of your success.

• Posted

I'm glad you find the diet helps, I shall plan what to buy later. Its going to be a complete change of everything I normally eat, so it bit of a challenge. I'm unable to take a lot of medications and to be honest, I think a lot, no most, of my problems are down to bad living! I have fibromyalgia, gerd and rls and fortunately have been able to live a relatively normal life, although I've never felt 100% for years. I think its all catching up with me now. Not surprising really. Stress, overwork, rubbish diet at stupid times of the day, falling asleep with phone or iPad and ill health and depression! Time to sort things out before I really start to suffer. Sounds like you ve been through the mill too! Why can some people do all the wrong things and get away with it, so unfair!
    • Posted

Perhaps doing all the wrong things is the way to an RLS free life.

Maybe I'll try a diet of whiskey and wild woman (wife)  

Graham

• Posted

Graham, your wild whiskey diet sounds a lot less complicated than this fodmap diet and way more exiting!
  • Posted

very interesting reading  my rls friends lol. I have had restless legs badly for  three yrs and it has affected  so many areas of my life. Now i am restless legs free and immediately and have not looked back. I took FERODAN oral surup for iron, i truely believe this iron is best, i think lilquid absorbs better than tablets also, but from day one i have been fixed. i also didnt start taking the iron for this reason so it was a bonus. I was low in iron so the doc gave me this solution. I ENCOURAGE THIS SYRUP  . please let me know how you are all getting on, i so sympothise with this ailment as i know how much it can effect ones life and lives of those around you and the quality of life.

• Posted

Hi Leanne    So good to hear that something worked for someone.  Nice of you to visit just to let us know.   I dont think that product is available in Australia but I will look out for it.   I have a daughter in London so I might have to send her around to Boots.

I take iron at the moment in the form of iron sulphate (or similar name) and it worked great for me for about 2 months but then faded away but this different form sounds promising.  I wont allow myself to even hope that I can eat onions and garlic again but I have two daughters who have inherited this monster from me so I really want to find a solution before they get older and worser.

I dont hate doctors but it would be good for us if more doctors "caught" RLS and took it seriously.

Thanks again

Graham

• Posted

This is a fascinating discussion everyone I am learning so much about something I thought I just had to put up with.  I have multiple health problems so its hard to get the doctors to isolate things, one thing will lead to another kind of attitude but that doesn't help me at all.  I am going to look at the diet, I have IBS as well so I can't lose, thank you so much.  I am taking multivitamins, magnesium and Vit B complex at the moment, last night I didn't have an attack but I have had several bad nights before that so I am going to give some if the things suggested if I can get hold of them here.
    • Posted

Had a little look at the diet, as a vegetarian it seems that I am eating most of the wrong things, eg beans, to get my protein.  The advice seems to be to see a dietitian as well, the chances of me getting a referral for that are between nil and none!!
    • Posted

As a vegetarian I suspect you will indeed need to double check your iron intake and absorption – heme iron, that from the blood of animals, being the most readily absorbed form of iron. I thought vegetarians knew all that! – but I've often wondered if vegetarians aren't more prone to RLS than omnivores, and indeed if some sort of demographic study of RLS might not throw some light on the subject.
    • Posted

I am aware that iron from animals is more readily absorbed but I have been a veggie for 20 years, have had countless blood tests and never been shown to be anaemic.  Its the first thing doctors think of when I am ill and they see I don't eat meat or fish.
    • Posted

Lynne do you have IBS-C.  I do.  I read that about 60% of people with IBS also complain of RLS.  I wonder if the 40% who don't complain mostly have IBS-D?  I know some nights when I have RLS going to the bathroom will immediately stop the RLS.  I've actually read other people report the same thing.  Like I said, such a ridiculous condition.  As an aside, I read that something like 90% (or higher) of people with fibromyalgia complain of RLS.  The point is, maybe we with RLS should do everything in our power not to be constipated.  And we should probably try the consistently undereating thing.  It upregulates the dopamine receptors in mice...why not us?  It might not matter so much what you eat as the quantity, in terms of RLS.  My IBS, which I've had since 12, is aggravated by an overgrowth of candida which also causes fatigue.  I've been tested and it's been high...my antibodies to candida that is.  When I'm feeling better and I get tested then the antibodies are in the normal range.  I've also been tested for SIBO, twice, both times negative.

For all we know, our gut microbiome might be at the root of our RLS.  The FODMOP diet I think is great at relieving symptoms of IBS and maybe RLS, but if there's an overgrowth of a micro-organism, literally an infection, then it takes alot more than that.  My allergist (who would test for the candida overgrowth) would also check my tongue.  If it has a white or yellow coating, especially towards the back, he thinks that's a sign of an overgrowth.

Have you checked your tongue lately? smile 

• Posted

Oh no wait, I think that 90% of people with fibromyalgia have SIBO.  And 60% of people with IBS also have SIBO.  At any rate, I know there is a higher incidence of RLS among people with IBS.  Got all that?

• Posted

I have often been grateful that I am not a veggitarian because the diet would be much harder.     I think I have seen something about FODMAP for vegetarians and I will see if I can find it.

Why is there such a problem in the UK (I presume) to get proper medical care?   I don't need a referral to a dietician.   I can go privately or the local councils have dieticians.   I think most of their work might be with diabetics but they cover all areas.    I have to add that the several I have seen so far haven't been a lot of help but I think that might be because my body is not as cooperative as it could be and I seem to react to everything outside the basic diet.    So I have no trouble visiting dieticians    just a problem finding the magic dietician who is competant to help me.

• Posted

What is SIBO? I have FM, IBS and RLS, wondered if I could complete the rest of the dictionary 😊
    • Posted

Forgot the TMJ 😐

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.