I really need some help

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had restless leg syndrome for several years and over the last year have been on ropinirole 3mg daily.  This worked for a while but over the last couple of weeks I have been desperate its back and with arms involved as well now.  It happens when I get into bed mostly but over the last week or so I can get it anytime.  I can't keep still, can't lay down, can't sit.  Someone suggested Magnesium so I take that as well now but I am in a terrible state when it happens.  GP says i am on a high dose of medication and that was that.  I can't go on like this.  My dad is terminally ill and we live 6 hours away.  We frequently make the journey and stay in a hotel.  This means that I am pacing in the room and my husband can't sleep either.  I don't know what to do.

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lynne

Glad your feeling a bit brighter. Did the rain sound help? I'm feeling good today 😊 Last night NO restless legs for the first time in months and months. But I still got hardly any sleep, had terrible reflux, which I did expect as it was 3rd night without omeprazole. I'm hoping this will settle down soon tho. Even so it was nice to be burning and acidy and 'comfortable' lol. Have used the magnesium spray too and that has helped too. There's light at the end of the tunnel yet 😊

• Posted

Yeah x 1000.  The reflux should be easier to control than the RLS.  Papaya enzymes, zinc carnosine (or any zinc tablet) and laying on your left side (makes it practically impossible for stomach acid to come up) should help quite a bit.  Can't wait to try Robert's suggestion of pineapple enzymes which I believe is called Bromelain.  I actually have Bromelain in the cupboard which I bought for inflammation after I was in an ATV accident.  Like you, I own alot of acronyms - IC, IBS, RLS, GERD and probably CFS.  I use my body like one giant lab rat.  They say we all have a purpose in life and I think mine is to find a better way to treat these conditions.

SIBO stands for small intestine bacterial overgrowth.  Our stomachs (which is right below our esophagus) should have no bacteria in it unless you have an H. Pylori infection.  The small intestine which follows the stomach should have some but not alot of bacteria.  And especially the upper part of the small intestine.  Attached to the small intestine is the large intestine which contains a virtual zoo of micro-organisms.  They test for SIBO by having you drink a sugar solution (lactose I believe) and then exhaling into about a dozen bags over a period of about two hours.  Then they test the contents of the bag for methane and hydrogen.  If you do have an overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine (especially upper part) then the sugar you drink will feed them and they will go crazy and give off either hydrogen or methane which will be detected in the contents of the bags you exhaled into.  When I did the test I was told i had very low levels of these gases in my breath thus low levels of bacteria in my small intestine.  The first time I took the test, about 15 years ago, they only tested for hydrogen.  Now a days they test for hydrogen and methane because they realized that our gut bacteria can give off either gas.  And as a matter of fact I recently read that there is a third gas they should be testing for - I think sulfur or nitrogen???  I believe one of the reasons my bacteria count is so low is because they're croweded out by the candida or maybe even cannabalized by the candida.  I've had some pretty high readings as far as candida is concerned.

I feel so positive that you will no longer suffer from RLS or very intermittently as I do.  And like I said before, one tablet of iron bisglycinate and any attack I have is gone within 60 minutes and gone for the night.  Plus the iron just knocks me out.  There are other substances that will get rid of the RLS, like potassium in the form of cream of tartar, but a 3/4 teaspoon only provides about two hours of relief and can very easily provoke the worst heartburn you've ever had.  When I take it on an empty stomach I do not get heartburn but with food, watch out.  So if you try it, be forewarned.  Plus potassium works in the same way as the dopamine agonists.  It causes a large quick release of dopamine as does quinine.  I'd rather just take the iron.  But like I said, i was born to experiment smile

• Posted

Actually, I found half a pineapple more effective than half a dozen bromelain capsules.

I don't know a great deal about these acid problems – I've perhaps tended to try to increase mine (with peppers etc) to maximize protein digestion. Isn't the stomach supposed to try to neutralize anything you throw at? If you eat citrus or pineapple does it throw alkalines or whatever at it? Anyway I spotted last night with some relief lest I gave harmful information, that pineapple, despite its acidity, was helpful for the conditions you describe.

• Posted

Thats a lot to take i 😊 I hope your right about the rls, I find its the most distressing of all my ailments. Am a bit nervous about taking iron, I ll have to speak to gp first, can t you over dose on that?  Will give the papaya and pineapple a go. Its early days for me with reflux.

Can I put a spanner in the works and either make myself look stupid or maybe someone somewhere will think 'hang on shes got a point'  I am thinking, could all these problems come from the fact that most of us breathe upside down and if we do it chronically for so long the strain it puts on our bodies develops into all these issues?

• Posted

OK you've got me.   Why do we breathe upside down?

Graham

• Posted

Loved the rain sound Julie, downloaded the sea as well.  Thank you for that brilliant idea.  Still in same sleep pattern, sleep for an hour and half then awake for a while then back for hour and half, but touch wood no RL again last night.  Wonder if it is the magnesium or its me using it as a placebo, either way long may it continue.
    • Posted

When we breathe it should be a smooth slow in through the nose, down to the bottom if your belly and your chest shouldn't move at all and the pause bit should be at the end of the outbreathe. My breathing is awful! I over breathe and hold my breath when I shouldn't. If you watch most people, the movement is only in the chest. Years ago I spoke with a chest surgeon and he said chronic hyperventilation is the cause of a lot of problems, the symptoms are all the same, fatigue, ibs, gerd, rls etc etc. I just cannot get the knack of breathing (although I guess I am doing it) 😁
  • Posted

ok folks, i have an idea here for those rls sufferers. As you know ferodan iron syrup has totally fixed me, now i want to fix everyone who also suffers lol. However so many of you are mentioning this acid reflux tablet omeprazole , My husband also takes this and my dad. However, if you think you want to stop it to find out if it is this giving you the restless legs etc perhaps take two tspoons of applecider vinegar with a tsp of honey in a little warm water for the honey to melt. Take this once in the morning and at night, i am sure this will fix your acid reflux, to concentrate then on the restless legs cure,. plus its natural. Even google apple cider vinegar and honey benefits, you will be amazed, it is good for so many things 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.