I really want to quit statins

Posted , 13 users are following.

I'm a 63-year-old woman. I am very active. I have a healthy BMI. I have no history of heart disease and I have consistent normal ECGs. I don't have high blood pressure; however, I have high LDL coupled with high HDL for overall high cholesteral levels. But I also have low triglycerides. My blood panel has been like this for years and previous physicians have deemed my risk low, notwithstanding my blood tests. When my family doctor retired, I started seeing another family practioner and he almost immediatley put me on Lipitor - 40 mg a day. 

And Lipitor and I don't play well together. Not long after I started taking the drug I started to feel very uncertain about my legs. I know that sounds kind of vague, but I don't have pain in my legs, they just feel heavy and I feel a bit uncertain about whether they will give out on me. Up until that time I walked 5 to 6 kms every day, but I've stopped because I'm afraid I will fall. I just feel too unsteady. 

I told my doctor, but he insisted I needed to keep taking the drug and the side effects would eventually go away, but they haven't. I still feel very unsteady and two months ago I started to develop itching and a mild rash on my ears and face. My doctor suggested I go to 20 mgs per day, but the side effects haven't gone away. 

This makes no sense to me. My doc wants me to continue to exercise and I'd love to comply, but these side effects are getting in the way. I felt great until I started taking this drug and now it's interferring with my ability to stay fit because I feel so unsteady on my legs. 

Do I argue with him, or just try to find another primary care physician?

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This is my attitude,I pay him,its your body,you have the last say. Personally doesnt sound like you need them. I started and ended on only 10 mg. Took over a year,i ended up with what i felt was horrible side affects,nueropathy and weak muscles etc. I quit. I felt 30 years older. Maybe try very low dose,if you want. 10mg,cant believe he started you at 40,otherwise just do your homework and tell him how you feel. If the doctor wont listen or respect your wishs,go doctor shopping. Xx
  • Posted

The choice is yours Sasktel and it certainly doesn't sound as though you need to take them. Unfortunately these days all doctors seem to think that al of their patients need to be on statins and they hand them out like sweets. Why don't ytou stop taking them and see what happens, you can always start them again. Personally I would never, ever take another statin, they are poison.

• Posted

stop taking the statins immediately! with hdl and low triglycerides you absolutely should not be taking them.  Either argue with your doctor or find another but today, immediately, flush that poison and do some research on supplements to help flush the poison from your system.
    • Posted

sorry missed a word - should read '...with high HDL.....'

• Posted

Stop taking the drug, It is your right to refuse them.

You have probably been prescribed them because of your age because your total cholesterol is above 4.0. Those are the guidelines GP's get. To look at the total number is a nonsense anyhow, as it disregards the LDL : HDL ratio.

• Posted

Totally agree.  Sasktel your LDL:HDL ratio is good, your HDL is high.  If you continue to take statins they will lower not only the 'bad' cholesterol but the 'good' too - which is harmful to your health.  As usch has commented, my own view is to stop taking them and please do not be bullied by your doctors, who have a vested interest in prescribing these regardless of their suitability for you as an individual.

• Posted

stop these as i have done i do have high cholesterel levels but this particular statin was damaging my liver they had me on 80mgs to start with then put me down to 40mgs but still it was doing damage to my liver, with bruising and itiching all over my body so i told doctor i was not taking them any more i have asked to be put back on the statins i was on before my heart attack as i was good on them , so i will let you all know how i go with them once i have been taking them for a few weeks to make sure they are not reacting with my other meds.Ann
  • Posted

It's crazy for your doctor to put you in that high a level of Lipitor the symptoms will not go away they will only get worse if I took that higher dose I wouldn't be able to manage. My advice is to get off it ASAP .

• Posted

Don't argue with your doctor just tell him you care to differ, it is your choice, After all your previous doctor didn't think statins necessary

• Posted

I sincerely hope you take note of the advice given by those on this forum.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Sasktel I know exactly what you are talking about with the leg problems.  I am a walker and when I've tried statins I have experienced exactly the same symptom as yourself and have not been able to do my walking.  Shame on the quack doctor for forcing you to continue and even trying to up the dose on you.  Please find another doctor - one who is not a puppet of the pharmaceuticals.

• Posted

I had horrble leg stiffness after a year,also foot pain,and tingling in the legs and feet. After being off the statin 2 years no more symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi Sasktel

The only reply I like was what Loxie said about HDL .

I take 40 mg Atorvastatine and the only symptoms are those associated with CHF. No pain no aches in fact I exercise more and now climb 4 flights of stairs without stopping.

The only other thing of note was to leave UK and live in France where my doctor was astounded to know that I have had few follow-up tests to confirm diagnosis.

I believe you should you ask for a third opinion and consult a Cardiologist.

Kind Regards

• Posted

When I read your assertions my only guess is that you're another shill working for the pharmaceuticals.  

• Posted

I started taking 1000 mg a day of niacin last week and it seems to be making me slightly nauseous in the morning does anyone else have any experience with niacin?
    • Posted

The maximum recommended dose of niacin for adults is around 14 – 18mg per day.  Anything over 35mg per day is considered overdose and may result in quite serious health problems.  Are you quite sure you’re taking 1000mg per day?? That would constitute around 300 times the overdose level!!   Mg is milligrams, whereas micrograms are denoted as mcg, could it be that you’re actually taking 1000 micrograms? If you seriously are taking 1000mg per day I would urge you to seek urgent medical assistance as that level of overdose could result in very serious damage indeed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.