I really want to quit statins

Posted , 13 users are following.

I'm a 63-year-old woman. I am very active. I have a healthy BMI. I have no history of heart disease and I have consistent normal ECGs. I don't have high blood pressure; however, I have high LDL coupled with high HDL for overall high cholesteral levels. But I also have low triglycerides. My blood panel has been like this for years and previous physicians have deemed my risk low, notwithstanding my blood tests. When my family doctor retired, I started seeing another family practioner and he almost immediatley put me on Lipitor - 40 mg a day. 

And Lipitor and I don't play well together. Not long after I started taking the drug I started to feel very uncertain about my legs. I know that sounds kind of vague, but I don't have pain in my legs, they just feel heavy and I feel a bit uncertain about whether they will give out on me. Up until that time I walked 5 to 6 kms every day, but I've stopped because I'm afraid I will fall. I just feel too unsteady. 

I told my doctor, but he insisted I needed to keep taking the drug and the side effects would eventually go away, but they haven't. I still feel very unsteady and two months ago I started to develop itching and a mild rash on my ears and face. My doctor suggested I go to 20 mgs per day, but the side effects haven't gone away. 

This makes no sense to me. My doc wants me to continue to exercise and I'd love to comply, but these side effects are getting in the way. I felt great until I started taking this drug and now it's interferring with my ability to stay fit because I feel so unsteady on my legs. 

Do I argue with him, or just try to find another primary care physician?

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I check the label and it says 1000 mg I called the pharmacy and they verified 1000 and said they have several people on 1000 mg a day....
    • Posted

Please do take a look online regarding recommended dosages for niacin, it can be quite dangerous to take too much.  If you're taking 1000 micrograms (10 milligrams) that would be safe but if you're actually taking 1000 milligrams you really do need to check out the info available on the web.

• Posted

I very much appreciate the comments please don't interpret my responses as arguing or disagreeing I'm just looking for the faCts.

I found this on livestrong:

LOWER CHOLESTEROL

Aside from treating niacin deficiency, high doses of niacin -- typically 500 milligrams or higher -- have been used to treat high cholesterol. According to MedlinePlus, doses this high are typically sold as prescription products. Because very high doses are required for treating high cholesterol, dietary supplements -- which typically come in strengths of 250 milligrams or less -- are not appropriate for this use. One study published in 2004 in "Archives of Internal Medicine" tested high doses of niacin, combined with a prescription cholesterol-lowering drug. This study, which started at a daily 500-milligram dose and eventually increased to 2,500 milligrams per day, found that niacin, combined with one type of statin drug, was able to improve four types of cholesterol commonly associated with atherosclerosis.

• Posted

How interesting Mr Tim - different sites with totally different info - I got the following also from livestrong:

Taking high amounts of niacin, or vitamin B3, may result in annoying to dangerous side effects. Drug users may take too much niacin, believing it will "flush out" marijuana chemicals before drug testing. Others take high doses of niacin for high cholesterol and other conditions. The Food and Nutrition Board recommends 14mg to 18mg of niacin per day for an adult. A niacin overdose---over 35mg per day---may negatively affect your health in several ways.

Just shows you cant take what's written on the internet as precise without extensive research.  No offence taken by the way.

• Posted

that is for sure...I will check with my doctor...
  • Posted

Update to my first post. I stopped the Lipitor the day I wrote the first post. The good news is that my legs seems to be getting back to normal; however, I am now having some pretty serious skin problems. As noted in my first post I had some mild itching and rash on my ears and face. A day later, the skin on my eyelids started peeling! The itch continues because the thin, delicate skin around my eyes is so dry it is cracking and peeling. My skin is like paper. I'm so angry with myself for not quitting this poison sooner. I now suspect that my cholesterol is so low, it's not sufficient to support good skin health. I wonder what that means for the rest of my organs! I have an appointment with my Naturopath tomorrow -- I hope she can help me recover from these side effects. 

• Posted

Interesting to find someone with the skin disorder in the ears and on the face.  I had this for years.  I am 61, have been on 80mgs of statin for 9 years, after a heart attack & corrective angioplasty.  It appeared about 1 year after starting the statin.  I was told it was psoriasis and not releated to statin.  Topical treatments didn't work and I lived it it.  At times the itching was severe.  In 2013 the skin disorder spread.  I got severe psoriasis of the hands, really bad requiring ~100 UV light treatments which failed then followed by chemotherapy - oral methotrexate - which worked but the psoriasis always came roaring back.  I was told to just take meth-x once or twice a year, as needed for the rest of my life.  My feet began to feel numb (perhipheral neuropathy) in 2011 and were completely numb by 2016 plus I had muscle weakness and cramping issues in the lower legs.  I lost control of my weight and became obese.  No doctor seemed to want to have the conversation about why all this was happening.  They said it wasn't statins, or that the cause was unknown.  Genetics was a frequent answer. 

In late 2016 I went on a low carb high fat diet.  The results are outstanding, the psoriasis almost gone now, numbness almost gone, obesity melting away rapidly and I feel better, can exercise properly again.   Blood pressure is better too.   I recently started cutting the statin pills in half. 

There are some sources out there who say that a low carb high fat diet has the same protective ability as a statin.  It seems that a carb rich western diet (refined carbs & sugar) is what gave me heart disease in the first place.   I think I had a sick liver.   The disorders I had appear to be metabolic precursors to Type 2 diabetes.  I can't figure out if it was the statin or the carbs.  Probably both.

In my case diet appears to be the cause and the cure.

• Posted

Update 2: I saw my Naturopath who ran a lipid panel and liver enzyme test. By the day I saw her the itchy, scaly rash on my face progressed to include swollen, itchy, bloodshot, watery eyes. The rash and eyes were my usual seasonal allergies magnified because of impaired liver function. She put me on a hypoallergenic diet CoQ10, an Omega 3 supplement and gave me a cream to reduce the inflammation on my face and calm the itching. The diet is designed to give the liver a rest so it can start to heal itself. I started eating "clean" about 18 months ago (no sugar or processed foods -- fresh veggies, healthy proteins animal and vegetable, healthy fats)  so the diet is easy to follow. 

I'm now about 3.5 weeks off the Lipitor and feeling so much better. I feel more connected to my legs and so much steadier. In my first post I didn't mention that I was also experiencing a large numb patch of skin/muscle on my right thigh, with episodes of tingling on my left thigh. I didn't connect it to the Lipitor because my doctor told me it was likely a pinched nerve in my back, but, about a week ago I noticed the tingling in my left thigh had stopped and I was starting to have more feeling on the right side. The numbness in my right thigh is now gone; there's a bit of tenderness in the muscle, but that seems to be going away slowly as well so I can only assume it was not a pinched nerve, but rather the Lipitor. 

My allergy symptoms are under control. My eyes are clear, the rash is gone. I still have a little bit of itching on my face and ears, but I'm definitely headed in the right direction. 

• Posted

Glad to hear that things are steadily improving for you - great news.  On top of all the other adverse reactions I too had numb patches on my leg, which my doctor dismissed completely as 'unknown but insignificant' - I didnt feel neuropathy of this type to be insignificant at all!  I have OA so at first the doctor was adamant that all my muscle pains were just related to my arthritis but I could tell the difference in the pain, OA pain is in my joints not my muscles and is quite different to experience.  She also dismissed my request for a liver enzyme test saying that as I wasnt overweight it wasnt a concern.  In the end I flushed the statins and a whole range of horrible problems started to disappear.

• Posted

I was very healthy with only hi cholesterol - I talked my md into letting me stop stattin due to elbow pain  and I just had a stroke - BIG WAKE UP CALL to take my station - I'm active low weight , low BP pressure woman and woke unable to move half my body - no joke - think I'd listen to my dr next time!

Nikki

• Posted

I, too, had a stroke and was put on Atoravastatin. I coped with the stroke but the statins almost killed me and never again would I take another one no matter what the doctor says.
    • Posted

I agree with you; I think that the rather elusive 'benefits' of statins are far outstripped by the risk of taking statins. There is no evidence whatsoever that high cholesterol actually does cause strokes.

• Posted

absolutely correct Usch.  There's a lot of very eminent research available which categorically states that high cholesterol alone is not the primary cause of strokes or heart episodes, particularly in females.  The other issue is that statins reduce all cholesterol, good and bad, whilst it is the differential between HDL and LDL that is the important factor.  More and more info is becoming available that statins are being shown to increase the risk of type 2 Diabetes - which itself is a major factor in causing heart problems.  I am not a doctor and therefore definitely wouldn't dream of telling anyone what meds they should be taking, I can only speak from my own experience which was that statins nearly killed me too.  A consultant at the hospital ER told me if I took them for 30-40 years they 'may' help to increase my lifespan by 5 or 6 years.  However, if I continued to take them I would have a severely diminished quality of life.  No contest.

• Posted

How can you be sure that the stroke was caused by you not taking statin ? Many people on statins still had strokes and heart atttacks. Actually, just as many people with low cholesterol die with heart attacks as people with high cholesterol. 

How low is your BP ? Too low BP can cause a stroke.

Hank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.