I resolved my enlarged/swollen prostate

Posted , 12 users are following.

Important info first, this will only work for those that have a sugar intolerance and simple enlarged/swollen prostate, no complications, no infections.

63 year old, retired, 3-4 years ago, had doctor say I had a 40 gram prostate, prescribed Flomax, I didnt get it/take it. Had problems with reduced bladder capacity, difficulties starting/stopping flow, retention, just a week ago, it took me 3 separate emptyings to get my bladder empty, just sit there and wait until it was ready to dribble out. Symptoms would sometimes improve but would always come back and was getting worse that last year. Decided that my sweet tooth and sugar might be causing inflammation in my prostate as well as my abdominal cavity. Quit all sugars, within days, I was noticing amazing improvements, I felt less bloated, I didnt have to pee after a nap, at the first pee urge, I could suppress it and go another 30 minutes instead of 5 minutes, I had less retention, most all of it was coming out easier, I could start and stop and squirt pee, which I havent been able to do in 1-2 years, I'm going fewer times in a day than I have in years. Just gotta work on stretching the bladder now.

4 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

BPH site will tell you what to eat and drink.There is a lot of theries on how the prostate keeps growing and I try to do them all as is better than sergery

• Posted

BPH site will tell you what to eat and drink.There is a lot of theries on how the prostate keeps growing and I try to do them all as is better than sergery

• Posted

When you first had BPH how was it.There is BPH news on what you can and not do.Read it as example if you get a cold or allergies don't take the medication as it will give you retention

• Posted

Steven, You sound like you're doing a low carb diet AKA Keto diet. I have 2 friends that did this diet for weight loss and pre-diabetic issues . Side effect was BPH went away. One guy went to the doctor after a year or so on the diet. Doc could barely feel his prostate. The previous year Doc had commented his prostate was getting quite large. Could be an anomaly IDK

• Posted

Not on Keto, I eat oatmeal, wheat and corn cereal, potatoes, tortillas, I just cut out the sugar, I have definitely developed a sugar intolerance as I have aged. My father seemed to be bloated all the time in his old age, and he had a big sweet tooth. My daughter has bad psoriasis due to sugar intolerance. I feel like my prostate has shrunk from 60 grams to 30 grams in 3 days.

• Posted

Steven,

I am happy to hear this worked out for you, but in my case I went off all sugar in 2016 and it made no difference whatsoever in my urinary issues. I lost 20 pounds once the sugar was gone, so for general health purposes it's a good thing. I also have slightly high fasting glucose, so am very careful about sweets and carbs. To my knowledge, I have not seen any posts here about sugar and retention, so perhaps something else is going on.

Tom

• Posted

Only someone with an unknown sugar intolerance that causes inflammation will this work on. Really, anything that causes systemic inflammation that can settle in the prostate COULD be the cause of prostate enlargement. I did not have BPH, I feel that I had sugar intolerance induced inflammation that settled in the prostate. In the last 3 days, my prostate has shrunk down from probably 60 grams to probably 30 grams.

• Posted

As I said, good for you, but I have never heard of this before, here or anywhere else. To say that your prostate has shrunk down from 60gm to 30gm in 3 days without any measurement such as a DRE or ultrasound is a very wild statement. I have been studying nutrition my whole life and have never heard of the symptoms you are talking about. You need to find some documentation for this on the internet - maybe somebody else has had this happen. If you do find some backup for this please post because it would be valuable information.

• Posted

Tom 86211,I have greatly reduced my sugars about a year ago (2018) or so....I also lost

weight (about 10 lbs), I also cut out all dairy. Eliminating sugar is tough, 1 I do like sweets, 2, It is hidden in so many things....have become a label reader. I read that dairy and sugars are a suspected culprit to BPH.The weight loss was great but NO affects for me on the BPH. I take

FloMax, lowest dosage and 1 cap a day and it works for me. No other side affects. Been on it about 1 year. 2019.

• Posted

You say you've never heard of the symptoms I wrote about (included at the bottom of this post). That seems strange, I have an enlarged prostate and I have the classic symptoms, don't know what you mean/referring to.

I do a self DRE, many times, several months ago, it was large, soft and pillowy, no pain. It is now smaller, firmer, smooth, has never felt this "normal".

**I have a definite improvement in my symptoms, no argument about it, **I am very familiar with my symptoms, my routine to work around them etc. Symptoms are better.

I've made no other changes in my routine other than quitting ALL sugar, even fruits. My abdomen is not sticking out in the breeze, I feel slimmer, less bloated. I can only believe that I have a sugar intolerance, as my daughter does, and quitting sugar has cut ALL inflammation in my body.

I enjoyed reading Arlowood's post below. If some guys can get some relief from symptoms, if they are inflamed as I am by sugar, that's all I wanted to share. If a guy is not sugar intolerant, great, this aint gonna help him.

Original post excerpt: Had problems with reduced bladder capacity, difficulties starting/stopping flow, retention, just a week ago, it took me 3 separate emptyings to get my bladder empty, just sit there and wait until it was ready to dribble out.

• Posted

Steven,

I didn't say I have never heard of your symptoms, but your "cure", not here or anywhere else. I was asking if you can find some research on the net that supports your theory that cutting sugar can reduce BPH symptoms. I have been a regular on this forum for years and this has never been mentioned before. I constantly research BPH issues on the internet and have been studying nutrition most of my life (took two classes in nutrition in college) and I have never heard of sugar being related to BPH. Maybe I missed something. I am just asking for some other confirmation than your own case. I would like to do more reading about this theory that sugar causes prostate inflammation.

Tom

• Posted

I didnt say it was a cure, and I should not have said I resolved my case, I have definitely improved on my symptoms, symptoms I have been living with for years now, I am happy to have some improvement, with no drugs or surgery.

I cannot find anything on the net on this, thats why I posted my experience.

Cutting out sugar reduces inflammation in sugar intolerant people, it just so happened that it improved the inflammation of MY prostate.

There are dozens of articles on BPH that contain the following:"Worst foods for an enlarged prostate - There are a few foods that can worsen the various symptoms of an enlarged prostate ... meat, eggs, poultry, foods high in sugar, **

I have no other anecdotes about what happened to me, I only posted my story to maybe help anyone that it might help

• Posted

Steven,

As I said before, good that you have had improvement in your BPH issues - very good. Now, if you want to run a simple experiment on yourself to see if the sugar was the cause of your improvement, just go back on your previous diet for a while.

As I said in my original response to you, I went off sugar in 2016 and it didn't have any effect on my BPH symptoms at all. Since then I have had a PAE and a bipolar TURP, so my BPH issues are much better. It would be a good thing if your comments encouraged others here to get off the sugar addiction and whether it helps their BPH or not it's a healthy change in diet that has other benefits as well, including weight loss, and possible lowering of blood sugar.

Tom

• Posted

Thanks, but no thanks, I will not be touching any sugar, or processed meats, or sunflower oil or any other food that is known to cause inflammation.

Simply put, you are not sugar intolerant, but I am. My father was and my daughter is.

• Posted

Steven,

Well, it's a good thing that we had this discussion because now others can try to get off sugar and this might help their BPH and/or other issues.

Tom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.