I started taking methotrexate last night..

Posted , 18 users are following.

I started taking methotrexate last night, 4 pills,, have been taking folic acid about 2 weeks and I feel terrible today.  It seems every ache I have had in the past due to RA is magnified.  I also feel bad In general, fatigued, tired, sore.  Is this normal?

1 like, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Do not take folic acid on the day you take methotrexate.Also it can take up to 4months for methotrexate to take effect completely so you may have to take painkillers till then
    • Posted

thanks, I have always been an avid "no pill" fan,however, with this newly diagnosed fibromyalgia and RA, I decided to try the folic acid and methotrexate, I'll bear thru it and hope it gets better.  Thank you for responding! : )
  • Posted

Hi Pesh

I experienced the same at the start. Now after 4 months I still have some stomach issues, but fatigue and feeling bad is much better after the first 24 hours...try to drink a lot of water... I stick with starchy foods...seems to help. The MTX has really helped me one day you will notice the absence of a lot of your aches and pains...hang in there it gets better!

Good luck,

Sally

• Posted

Hi Pesh,

I felt exactly the same for 2 days after taking Mtx. I've been on it 7 weeks and now only feel seriously crappy for a day!

To be honest I'm still trying to weigh up pain v gain! If you get there first please let me know. My RA is easier now but the headaches, and general feeling of " blech " is getting me down.

I'm going to persevere for now but who knows how or what I'll feel in the next couple of months.

Good luck.

• Posted

Yes, glad you are...day 1st day...nauseous and tired, 2nd awful, 3rd fuzzy, 4th..back to normal...those are some powerful little pills! LOL
  • Posted

Hi Pesh

Yes it is perfectly natural to feel like that. The good news is if this drug works for you (which can take 3 to 6 months to fully work) your body gets used to the MTX and I've now been on it about 18 months and it just becomes part of life. I feel yukky the day after I take it and sometimes into the next morning but a bit of yukky is far better than fully untreated PSA.

Give it time, be good to yourself on those days particularly and I'm sending loads of positive vibes to you, that you are one of the people this works for.

Make sure you take the folic acid the other six days and get your bloods done regularly.

Unfortunately as I say many times on this site it is a chronic illness with vile treatment and the beginning of the journey seems so daunting but if you tolerate mtx and it works for you life should get better and better.

One thing I was never told us keep an eye on what your body is telling you. Don't dismiss 'just a virus, a cough etc' Always go to your doctor if you feel unwell as the treatment and the illness wreck the immune system and we often need help (antibiotics) for things doctors wouldn't usually prescribe them for. I'm just putting it out there because a cough/chest infection which the doctors and I didn't treat seriously made me end up in hospital.

Best of luck with your journey

Lisa 😊😊

• Posted

Thank you Lisa that's very encouraging. As I said before I will try to persevere and your words will push me on to do so

• Posted

Hi Michele

Just popping on to say I hope things are easing for you and that you are coping ok

Lisa

😊😊😊x

• Posted

Hi Lisa

How kind of you. Thank you so much. I'm not too bad still a bit bleh for a day or two after pills but I'll get there.

Hope you are well and thanks again

Michelle

• Posted

You are welcome. Glad you aren't doing too bad. I'm on my bleh couple of days right now hence the delay in replying. The bleh should wear off in time to a mere yuk!! ☺️☺️ I'm only bleh because I had a 4 week gap because I had infections and on antibiotics. By the way, ginger biscuits help the bleh mouth!!!

Keep going

Lisa x

• Posted

You are welcome. Glad you aren't doing too bad. I'm on my bleh couple of days right now hence the delay in replying. The bleh should wear off in time to a mere yuk!! ☺️☺️ I'm only bleh because I had a 4 week gap because I had infections and on antibiotics. By the way, ginger biscuits help the bleh mouth!!!

Keep going

Lisa x

• Posted

Keep going

Lisa x

• Posted

Hi Lisa

Ah the bleh days- yup not as good as yuk but as least with yuk you know it's soon ahhh. Thanks for the ginger biscuit tip I'll give it a go.

All the best

Michelle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.