I started taking methotrexate last night..

Posted , 18 users are following.

I started taking methotrexate last night, 4 pills,, have been taking folic acid about 2 weeks and I feel terrible today.  It seems every ache I have had in the past due to RA is magnified.  I also feel bad In general, fatigued, tired, sore.  Is this normal?

1 like, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dear Pesh:

My experience was that it takes a while for the MTX to build up in your blood. It may be that you would have felt lousy even without the MTX. It took me a year of adjustment in dose to finally feel consistently okay. I still get some fatigue now and then and an occasional pain, but I only get one flareup a year or so (that might be happening to you right now) and then i go on to a short burst of prednisone.

So hang in there and keep an open line to your rheumatologist. If yours is like mine, he/she will respond to your phone calls usually the day of the call.

BTW are you on plaquenil with your MTX? That also helps. The two are often used together.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks Timothy, I'm not on plaquenil.  I've never taken any prescription drugs, now have a cocktail... Percocet, MTX, folic acid, gabapentin, vitamin D, extra calcium and flexiril.  Sigh....I talked to my doctor today and she said my reaction was similar to 60% Of her patients.
    • Posted

Hi Pesh:  When I saw that you were taking flexoril, some lights went on. I took it for a couple of months and it made me feel AWFUL and I was lethargic and in a fog bank.......all on 1/2 pill per day! It was given to me so I could relax enough to go to sleep at night. I am one of those people who cannot tolerate it well. Perhaps you could skip 2 or 3 days of flexoril and see how you feel?
    • Posted

Your note here struck a cord.  My rheumatologist failed to rmention folic acid, even after my hair fell out with Plaquinil.  5 weeks on MTX.  I can't get him or his nurses to return ANY calls.  The only way I can talk to him is at appointments.  His practice requests communication via email.  I have emailed him only 3 times in 6 months.  He responded to only one.  I am going to find another doctor.  My husband is poste 10K away.  I am all alone in this.  I don't need a doc who is non responsive.

• Posted

You guys are awesome! This is my first post and I appreciate everyone's response! I will continue on this journey with your positive words and keep you guys posted.  Thank you and I hope everyone feels better and better! We are in this together! God bless and stay positive!  Gotcha!
    • Posted

Hi pesh9308

I have my third lot of methotrexate tomorrow and have to up to 6 a week now from 4, I had to go for my first monitor tests today, this whole experience is a biggie for me as it would take me to be in real

Pain to even take as much as paracetemol, it's a hard core medication I think, but apparently I was reassured today 'a wonder drug' if right for you.

I have so far had a few headaches an upset stomach and feel a bit sick from time to time. I am finding it so hard to come to terms with and wonder if I should just let nature take its course and just use pain control like Ibrufen and paracetemol when required, so hard isn't it? So glad I found this website to talk to other people with their experiences of RA it makes me realise that I am not alone

• Posted

Second dose of methotrexate about 6 hours ago...stomach hurts, can't sleep...hope tomorrow is better!
    • Posted

Hi Pesh

A glass of milk always cleared my stomach aches when I got them. You seem to be suffering many of the symptoms I had at first. If you can hang in there they should subside.

Not sleeping was common for me too. The day before I took it because of sheer anxiety and the day I took it too. These are other symptoms which have passed too. I know it seems like sheer Hell but if you can hang in there and give it a good run these symptoms subside/even go. I would say after 12 weeks if your symptoms aren't getting better go back to the Rheumy. I think we've talked about this before but folic acid 6 days a week made a huge difference to my symptoms. You could always see your doctor for a short term prescription for diazepam or sleeping pills just to get you through that once a week night.

Bless you

Sending you some peaceful sleepy vibes

😊😊💤💤

• Posted

Thank you so much Lisa...ill try the milk and gonna give it a fair 90 day run, I'll keep you posted.  Thank you! I appreciate your comments and vibes..cheesygrin
  • Posted

Hi Pesh,

I know this is no fun...don't give up it will get better. I eat crackers and try to drink fluids, nothing acidic. I have started taking a pill for acid reflux to settle my stomach on "Dose" day and it seems to help. Remember to breathe deep and relax.  Hang in there!

Sally

• Posted

Reading Sally's answer jogged my memory on something else as well. I take Labzoprozole which is just a stomach protector against the harsh meds 😊😊
  • Posted

I heard it mentioned we are not supposed to take the Folic Acid on dose day...Can someone tell me why? My doctor never mentioned this.

Thanks!

Sally

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.