I started taking methotrexate last night..

Posted , 18 users are following.

I started taking methotrexate last night, 4 pills,, have been taking folic acid about 2 weeks and I feel terrible today.  It seems every ache I have had in the past due to RA is magnified.  I also feel bad In general, fatigued, tired, sore.  Is this normal?

1 like, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just passing on my experience with folic acid.......

This spring I had very chapped and stinging lips which is unlike me. I went through chapsticks like candy. And I noticed small red pimples around my lips. When I saw my rheumatologist I mentioned this off-handedly and he perked right up. He prescribed folic acid for the first time (and I have taken MTX for about 12 years by then) and the lip condition cleared up within two days. Who knew?

• Posted

I just started taking methotrexate yesterday morning for my guttate psoriasis....15mgs which I split into 3 pills in the am and 3 in the evening.

I was ok yesterday, just a little more tired than usual. And today I feel like I got beat up sad

Stiff, sore and overall my body just aches. Still have an appetite but I'm just a little blah in the stomach.

This post was pretty helpful and gives me an idea egad to expect and how long.

• Posted

Hi I start to take methotrexate tomorrow night 2x2.5 for guttate psoriasis too. I'm so worried about taking it as keep reading about the side affects.is it helping your psoriasis?
    • Posted

Hello Ann smile

I'm only on week 2 so haven't seen any results from it yet, my derm said it can take up to 8 weeks before u see a change.

I was so worried about the side effects and I must say, week 2 was so much better than the first week.

Less body aches, hardly any nausea and I'm just excited to see my itchy spots go away.

I hope this helps answer your question and just know we are here to talk to you and support you thru this!

• Posted

Hi Hollz

Please keep in touch with me as I would like to know how you  go on taking methotrexate. 

I'm waiting to get a follow up appointment for next week and haven't heard so not starting them tonight as will have to phone them tomorrow and find out what's going on.

• Posted

Hey everyone.

Well I had to quit talking my mtx until I go back to my derm on the 12th.

I ended up getting a UTI on Wednesday the 22nd, the day before I went to Arizona and the urgent care Dr put me on trimeth sulfa antibiotics. Well apparently they didn't read much into the drug interactions. While i was in Arizona I kept getting these terrible headaches that just would not go away.

After doing some research on my own I find that they have BAD drug interactions. I emailed my dermatologist immediately and he told me to stop taking everything, and he seemed a bit upset that they put me on those antibiotics at the same time.

But within a day or so of being off of them, the headaches went away.

I notice that once I quit taking the mtx I do have my energy back, and sleeping better. But my psoriasis is definitely back to square1 and itching again.

I hate to say it but I'm looking forward to getting back on my mtx so my spots will continue to get better.

Hope everyone is well and letting their skin out this summer! smile

• Posted

Hi pesh0308

I started last week so just took my second lot, I have to say though that this medication worries me, I had a thyroid operation at the end of April I had nodules growing on the one side so anyway cutting a long story short my doctor says he thought my aches and pains would vanish once this was sorted out, so I had it removed and just a month a after that I got a referral to see a rheumatologist. I had no pains in my hands ( where it usually was) and began to think my doctor could of been right, I was praying, I went to my appointment and had all the tests done and a week later went back for the results, I did get stiff fingers a little that week though but anyway.... I was told that there was some rheumatoid arthritis antibodies showing up and he wanted to put me straight onto methotrexate I went along with it and like I said just took my second lot. I have heard stories about them making people's hair fall out and life changing side effects, I am tempted to come off them, my brother in law got shingles on them and needed 2 lots of antibiotics for a chest infection he felt rough so after a year he decided to come off them, I go back to the hospital for my check up to see if they are effecting my organs etc next Tuesday I am going to ask if I can postpone or try something not so fierce, at the end of the day they are poison that's what I think anyway, sorry to be so negative, what are your thoughts?

• Posted

I am on week 5.  Dosed yesterday.  No sleep, extremely fatiqued, feel yuk, tummy issues.  What you are feeling is very normal.  I have heard it gets better.  I hope so!

• Posted

Bless you,

I had every side effect going when I started including hair loss, nausea, confusion, mouth ulcers but I stuck with it and they went. I still feel 'yuk' as you put it Yogigirl but if you are starting with less symptoms than I did you have a good chance of them going. Stomach (nobody ever talks about what I call methotrexate poo on here!) As I suggested to Pesh (hi Pesh ??) the stomach seems to ease if I drink a glass of milk. Also make sure you keep well hydrated and fresh orange juice etc will help you 'go' as well.

As for the 'yuk' ginger biscuits, real fruit ice lollies especially the push up ones, lemon mousse, anything citrus or refreshing seems to help me. Also just wondering if you are on Lanzoprazole? It is a medication which protects the stomach from harsh medications.

It sounds like you are doing really well ???? I hope this gets better for you ???? Lisa

• Posted

Hi Pesh, I take Metho. For my skin & have been for aporox. 15mths. Before stumbling on this site whilst asking some questions, I thought it was just me because the drs couldnt find anything wrong with my blood tests, as to why I felt achy, sore & not quite right. Some days I felt that fluey feeling. After some great replies I realised that it wss problerly tge metho. Making me feel this way. Its good ib away to hsve a answer but now I have to decide weather to continue or find alternative solutions. I dint want to use predisolone too much again & steriod creams dont always work arrgh!! Frustrating. Overall it has been the best thing skin wise. Hang in there it usually takes 3mth to show you benifts but the yukyness may linger. Sounds as If it affects everyone differently.

• Posted

Please remember this is your first doses and you are putting a very toxic drug into your body. Give it time. If in 2 months you are still feeling awful talk to your Rheumatologist about the possibility of injecting weekly. It may not have the same side affects. Make sure you keep taking the folic acid on the alternative days. Good luck
  • Posted

One more thing Pesh this drug may well lower your immune system so warn family friends and work colleagues if they have any sort of bug as you may pick it up easily. I have had 2 bad chest infections since March the first developed into pneumonia and hospitalised me. Even mow (July) I am struggling with long walks, stairs etc and get quite out of breath. Steer clear from people with bugs 
  • Posted

i have osteo and RA for 3 years, realitively fine working 3 days a week and able to go to the gym.. Woke up with severe ankle pain, cramping and crackling and skin burning , is this normal?started on methotrex 2 days ago and I took Folic Acid with it. 2 days later my foot is still swollen and there is burning, is the burning and sore skin normal.  Also did I waste my metro dose cuz I took folic acid?? Why did'nt my dr. tell me this??

Sorry to unload, this is all new to me AND I am a nurse.

• Posted

Hi!  After a decade of inflammatory symptoms of joints, lungs, eyes, skin and gut I finally was diagnosed 4 days ago with seronegative RA and fibromyalgia secondary to RA.  Started melaxicam and prednisone, and just picked up mtx and folic acid.  Trying to decide best day to start weekly dose so I can still work. Written med info sheets has me terrified. Questioning whether I really want the side effects or just deal with the inflammation and pain?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.