I started taking methotrexate last night..

Posted , 18 users are following.

I started taking methotrexate last night, 4 pills,, have been taking folic acid about 2 weeks and I feel terrible today.  It seems every ache I have had in the past due to RA is magnified.  I also feel bad In general, fatigued, tired, sore.  Is this normal?

1 like, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Everyone is different. You may be having a flareup of the disease, not a reaction to the mtx. It took me a year to feel better with mtx as we had to make adjustments as we went. I really think there is a fear that is being perpetuated about getting sick on mtx that is not true.

Think positive and give the drug a chance. I know how awful a body can feel with this disease and I sympathize. It all takes time.

• Posted

You are right in what your saying. I am on 15mg of methotrexate a week I started 3 months ago, I am not happy about it but it could be worse I guess. I had a steroid injection on diagnosis to see me through the 3 months and am happy to say I have had absolutely no pain whatsoever since a few weeks prior to diagnosis of RA. I am optimistic and hope I am one of the lucky ones and am weaned off it eventually. I have had a couple of side effects the tiredness and feeling sick if I have an alcaholic drink, I felt a little breathless on it a few weeks back and really got worried but it subsided, I woke up last week to these lumps like warts on my hands mainly on the palms maybe it's nothing to do with a side effect but I have an appointment tomorrow with the rheumatology nurse so I will ask, I put everything down to side effects I am afraid lol

• Posted

I have same reaction
    • Posted

My wart like hands cleared up by Christmas I am so happy, I had a biopsy done and it's another auto immune disorder, the steroid injection I got at the beginning of October has helped I think. I have had no more side effects for a while, I thank my lucky stars every day for that, I do eat quite healthy and exercise as much as I can maybe that helps too, I am a great believer in we are what we eat

• Posted

I would add a picture of what they were like if I knew how
  • Posted

I started taking Methotrexate Wednesday (Feb 1st) and within the first few hours, I had heat flashes, chills, vomiting, dizziness, and things of that sort. (Also, sorry for tmi, but I began passing clots/something of a period, but far more painful and not a scheduled one)

Today, I've been having the same problems, with added tremors almost all over and added stomach pain.

Is this normal? All this is so new to me.

• Posted

And I'm on 10mg of methotrexate a week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.