I still don't feel the same after smoking weed for the first time. NEED SUPPORT PLEASE

Posted , 165 users are following.

Hello, Im posting here to get some reassurance and support. It has been over a year and a half now since I tried an illigal high (weed) for the first time and suffered a panic attack in which I thought I was going to lose my mind and die, and end up in a mental hospital. The high lasted about 4.5 hours. Nothing felt real and when the high wore off things didn't feel the same as before. I found out about derealization and depersonalization and I think that is what I have been dealing with since. I was diagnosed with GAD and I think I might of had it prior to smoking the pot but not to an extent that it bothered me.

The best way to explain it it just feels like something is off, nothings the same, i feel disconnected in a way. Like i keep trying to compare how i fet before the high (normal) to now but I cant exactly pinpoint what it is.

My vision gets weird and its hard to focus on anything. I see "noise" or static like tiny dots (visual snow) when looking at the night sky and floaters when looking at the blue sky. All things I have never experienced before the high.

At the start of this hell I thought I had died or that I was in hell. (It felt like it and my anxiety was through the roof and i felt nausous and panicky). I was obsessed with thinking i was going insane (schizophrenic) infact I still do get VERY VEEEEERY scared about it. Thinking that i could go mad. I also have light sensetivity wheb i look at something i get an afterimage if it that stays in my vision for a bit.

I feel like i had all my life ahead of me and now i cant live life like before. As if a part of me died. (Im not delusional though i dont think).

What has made it tolerable is being busy with study and work... But when im free all i do is be upset about it and feel miserable. I dont want medication because if the side effects and risks of psychosis/suicide.

I have no energy to do anything at times...

And i think the more time goes by the more i lose hope.

Please PLEASE if you can relate or have advice/support please contact me or reply to me here.

Thank you so much

19 likes, 207 replies

207 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Ive definetly made some prgress throughout the years but i still dont feel the way I did before the high..
    • Edited

Sorry your going thru this.I can relate but in a different way. I've always been a recreational drug user in the past 15 years. Smoked pot for about 15 years every day.most times I was fine but sometimes it gave me anxiety. The thc in weed is psychedelic which is why sometimes people who don't smoke often feel like they are "tripping". And it can defiantly mess with your anxiety. About 5 weeks ago I was in Las Vegas for my 29th bday and I was partying hard,drinkin, smoking pot, did some other party favors, got super dehydrated and had a severe panic attack and went to the emergency room bc I felt like I was dying. My heart was racing head was hurting, legs twitching, it was very scary. They released me after a couple hours and told me I had a severe panic attack and was severely dehydrated. That next day I slept all day bc of the anxiety meds I had and took to sleep. I had got up for a few hours ate some food and smoked some pot. Nothing out of the normal I smoked everyday. But a few minutes after I got another horrible panic attack. So the next day I decided I'm done with the pot and I'm done partying. For about 3 weeks straight I was having panic attacks everyday several times a day. I didn't know why this was happening or what was goin in with me ,my chest would feel tight but head would hurt my head was so clouded I was having so many weird things happening that' I thought I was going crazy. Went to my psychiatrist whom I've seen over the years for anxiety and she said that I have severe anxiety and needed to take an anti depressant bc I'm imbalanced. It's now been 5 1/2 weeks since that Vegas trip and I still don't know what happend that weekend that triggered my anxiety to get out of control. So I do understand what your going through but you need to go see a psychiatrist and just at least talk about what happend and see what they think. Let them know how ur feeling mentally. I know it's scary it's not a way to live but working out, meditation, will help. Hope this passes soon sorry you are going though this.
    • Edited

i feel the same ive done it like 10 times now and this time it has lasted 3 days i feel like nothings happening and im dreaming and nothing feels the same

• Edited

Hi Leah, I hope your well!

I have recently took a high THC edible for the first time in my life, and I was searching the web with the same symptoms and I have come across your post. Its been 3 days, and I still dont feel like my usual self. What you described is exactly what I am going through, including being extremely slow with coordination and responses. Also my eyesight is so blurry and I cannot read or see things as I did before. I am so confused, Will I get better? Did you get better?

• Edited

same . The first time I got high I became detached from reality and lost in my head and I feel like I have never come back . I sometimes wonder if I died that day and this is my hell.

• Edited

I had smoked weed for the first time in New York and they had something out there called "Tookie" and I've never smoked it before. When I smoked it I literally went through the matrix my vision was breaking down into little squares and I kept hearing my voice screaming "fix it" and "just leave it alone" and then I gained unnatural strength and focus. I was staring at this guy in the room and was trying to get to him but my bf was holding me. Next thing I knew I was waking up from apparently passing out. I woke up and couldn't even remember who I am and who anyone around me was. It was so scary to the point that I threatened to hurt the guy I didn't know that well and told everyone to tell me who they are and how I know them. I asked my bf who am I and who is he. I asked where am I and how I got there... I was so scared. Ever since I have been out of touch with life and have been lost and my thoughts are always getting scrambled. I hate it and want to get back to the old me🥺

• Edited

couple things.

1. That wasn't just marijuana. Not knowing who you are is a specific side effect usually for much more powerful psychedelics. DMT, for example. I think you smoked Changa. It has a bunch of near nicknames but its just weed with dmt or 5meo DMT and your buds had no idea. You didnt take poison. and yes. you are okay.

2. Yes. its freaky. Yes, it can feel unbelievably frightening, but the loss of hope you're describing is actually depression.

So, I'm still on the fence if psychedelic drugs are tools for people to use or biological traps for the mind, so I don't recommend them unless you really want to know things about yourself that are scary. People take them lightly. Too lightly, because:

The brain is fragile. You got messing around with it, you have to understand you're also messing with your own reality and your perception of it. We're all just brains in a skull jar. It only knows what it interprets, and so when its interpretation is being altered, it appears unnatural. Feels unnatural. And that can be terrifying.

You didn't know you were taking a psychedelic and therefore didn't know to mentally prep for having your reality messed with. Yeah, you can temporarily lose your identity. And the thought of that can scare you. Knowing everything you are is just your memories compounding, and if something messes with those memories or your brain you could be lost, right?

Yeah. Welcome to fear of mortality and loss of self. This is what drugs do. Especially psychedelics. They make you aware of how flimsy your existence is and that can cause trauma and depression. Which is what you're feeling. Been there. Its terrifying. BUT!

The way out isn't in being afraid of it. You have to accept the facts. You are aware, fundamentally, of your own tenuous grip on sanity and reality and how easy it is for those things to snap. What you should be thinking:

I was strong enough to come back. I now have this terrifying fear of what losing my mind feels like, and I get to be aware of it AND get my sanity back.

You are lucky you had a bad experience, honestly. And at the same time, it sucks. because you know now. But don't let knowing haunt you. The more you stay afraid of it, the harder it is to deal with and shrink down to a manageable thing.

Bright side:

You made it through.

You know who you are.

You're aware of how fragile life is and why it should be enjoyed and respected.

You now have a fundamental understanding of what people are going through who actually DO lose their grip. Those people still need compassion.

Sounds like to me you learned a lot. And that should give you peace of mind.

Learning about self.

Understanding self.

Understanding human weakness.

That's why many people take psychedelics. You take them TO BE messed with. To have your reality poked at and tested. To experiment with losing your entire self, ego, sense of self (ego death), come back from it and learn to appreciate every day more.

They make you respect normal.

And I like you, wish I knew going in that they have that power. Crappy part is: Nobody can explain it to you and have it make sense, so you never know unless you do it.

Which is why I like them, but don't recommend them. They plant seeds in your mind that you never expected, and some of those ideas are hard to deal with.

But not permanent if you accept them, learn from them and put them on a mental shelf called "growth". It's only scary if you let it affect you.

• Edited

Your comment has brought me much relief. I am only 18 and smoked for about a year and a half everyday. It was around july of last year and I was on vacation so I woke up and did what I had done for over a year. instead of getting a buzz, I instantly started crying shaking and running to my parents trying to figure out was wrong with me. I was so scared, I had suffered with depression but not from much anxiety because weed was how I got away from all that. I could not go to the hospital because everyone was afraid Id get covid. Turns out I had already had it. So I had coronavirus and had panic attacks every day almost for 2 months. I instantly quit weed after that day, mostly out of fear. But these experiences people are talking about is blowing my mind because of how much I can relate. I feel detached, when I wake up in the mornings, sometimes I doze off and suddenly snap back to reality and it frightens me. I still dont fully understand what is wrong, but I have been praying it will pass like nothing happens. I have developed tinnitus during this as well, loud ringing in my ears when there is just silence. I am still scared because it hits me like a brick when it happens and it makes me afraid to drive. Even typing this I cant believe whats been going on with me for almost a year. I just regret my decisions, I along with many people have promised important people I wouldnt do those things, turns out I lied and am paying some hard consequences. Note I have only smoked (at least what I have been told) is weed, nothing else. But I am sure this was laced with something. I also feel like passing out and get really dizzy for no reason. The doctors would just say It was coronavirus still in my body. But idk, I feel as if my whole body and mind had done a hard reset and im starting from the beginning and idk what to do.

• Posted

you still have it in your system, i am sure you will be fine in under a month. i am going through something weird from a bad trip as well. i feel like i hurt my head and never the same , its been 5 months

• Posted

me and you went through the EXACT same thing. read a bunch of post online over the last 2 years but i can say what you experienced is al-most identical to what i experienced. i have gotten better since my strange encounter 2 years ago but i dont feel like i normally did before i smoked.

the weird visuals, ringing ears, strange feeling around my eyes and head, outer body feeling, eyes not focusing any more, and this strange feeling of feeling like a channel in my brain is blocking me out from accessing my feelings or emotions to a degree. like my mental clarity or the sense of feeling free is not there.

• Posted

First off, thank you for posting an update many years later. Sorry to hear you haven't made a full recovery. I'm afraid I won't be able to either.

Ate a huge homemade edible 6 months ago and have lost tons of cognitive ability. Have not recovered it at all and I barely work at all now. Just got on Zoloft so will see what that does for my depression. Definitely struggling wit SI. Trying hot yoga and meditation.

What has helped you improve through the years? Again, so sorry for your predicament.

• Posted

I'm 6 months into my own edible ordeal.

Wondering how much progress you've been able to make....

• Posted

I too got all of those symptoms and more when i stopped taking edibles for insomnia. its been over 2 years and i am still not back to normal. I only took the edibles for sleeping for a year or so and the day after i quit it was like a bomb went off in my body and i have never been the same. I was also diagnosed with cannabis induced panic disorder. That has been life altering, for sure!

• Posted

Hi Caolina,

Sorry to hear of this I hope you get some positive results soon if not already

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.