I still have a UTI after finishing a course of antibiotics? Why didn't drug kill it all off?

Posted , 50 users are following.

I'm 25 and not sexually active. After having a burning discomfort down there and lower back pains that my doctors were ignoring for weeks to months they finally did a test and discovered I had a UTI. I was put in Macrobid/ nitrofutonin 100mg 1 pill twice a day for 5 days. I took the medicine EXACTLY as prescribed. I was drinking both cranberry juice and water to flush it out completely. I did notice an immediate difference in the pain when I was taking the antibiotics. However, by the 4th day of treatment I noticed My infection stopped responding to the antibiotics. So I just assumed maybe it's residual burning and irritation from having a UTI for awhile. Plus I thought once I finish the course maybe it needed time to kick in so waited a few weeks to see if there would be difference.

So about 3-4 weeks later I decided to go back to the doctor to have my urine retested as the burning would come and go and was still causing me slight discomfort. My results came back today that I still have a UTI. Apparently it's the SAME bacteria from the first time. My lab culture says its "1,000-9,000 cocci gram positive isolated". I'm glad he bacteria hasn't grown back to the 10,000-50,000 amount I was seeing on my culture before after so many weeks. Why didn't the antibiotics kill off ALL of the bacteria? What do I do now? I know for a fact it's not a reinfection it's the SAME UTI that didn't fully clear up. I was still experiencing symptoms after i finished the course. Please help!

1 like, 114 replies

114 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I've just finished my course of antibiotics for an UTI l still have symptoms and l need to go back to the doctor's as l need to complete registration to see a GP, but l am afraid that l will be caught short for the need of the toilet as l am peeing nearly every 10-15 mins can you help me

• Posted

Hi..i have had 3+leukocytes for 3wks now..did 10 days of cipro..still 3+..currently on Levaquin. .6th day. Still 3+leukocytes. .have increased probiotics.eat a bulb of roasted garlic daily.yogurt.cranberry juice..have NO burning or urgency or odor..paun abt a 2 on scale of 1-10..Had same prob last year at this very same time..had abt 4 course of antibiotics. CT scan.ultra sound..all normal..went to ER had IV rocefin..saw urologist.he said i needed physical therapy. .kidneys were fine..then it just went away in September. .now its back..im at my wits end..still paying off hospital from last year..have no insurance. .any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ..thank you
    • Posted

Is the 3+ leukocytes a dipstick reading?  Have you had the urine tested under a microscope to see the bacteria count and have you had it cultured to see the bacteria type.  I see that you have no burning, urgency, or order.  I couldn't understand what is a 2 on a 1-10 scale.  Did you mean pain?

I'm baffled that after 10 days on cipro you are still 3+.   Cipro is sensitive to most bacteria.  

Why does your doctor think you need physical therapy?

• Posted

I am so sorry that you're going through this. I've been through it many times. The only thing that helped me was a daily dose of augmentin 500 for an extended period of time. This infection is just hiding after the antibiotics and that's why it's coming back out. You need a much longer dose. At this point I have to take an antibiotic every day long term because it always comes back when I stop the antibiotic. I hope this helps some and I hope you feel better.

• Posted

So here is my story.   15 months ago I had My first c-section on my 4th baby.   After I went Home I was Perfectly fine, then 3 days later I woke Up to an excruciating migraine and my blood pressure was 225/175...very dangerous.  I was Admitted to the hospital for 5 days, had every test done under the sun and they diagnosed me with post partum  in hypertension and I went Home on 2 blood pressure medications. I weansx Off bp meds 3 days after returning home.  I am Very active, I do Crossfit 5 days a week even while being pregnant.  Now, I am Sure you are wondering what this has to do with UTI. Well, ever since I came Home after those 5 days in the hospital I have Had cloudy, very foul smelling urine.  No blood or pain. I asked My gynocologiat about it and she said it was related to breast feeding and producing estrogen. So, I accepted That reason.  Well here I am 15 Months after having the baby, and 4 mo the after breast feeding with the same thing. Cloudy, foul smelling urine and occasionally a pink tinge to Urine. I went And got my urine tested and it showed positive for e-Coli, started macrobid, it cleared up.  Then off macrobid came back with the foul smell had E. coli again., started macrobid, cleared up, and now once again came back. He pressed. Ore antibiotics for me and is referring me to a urologist.  I am So scared I have Cancer, I fear Cancer the most and leaving my children.  He said he doesn’t think it is cancer. But what else could it be. I never Had this problem until 1. I had The baby by c-section  and my tubes tied 2. I had A ton of different medications thrown at me during my 5 day stay after I had The baby because they had no idea what was wrong with me.  I left With baby perfectly healthy and bp was perfect and I came back 3 days later near death.  I’m just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what could be wrong with me.  I’m. Or the best at drinking water, and I work Out a lot.  I am Trying to drink more water now.  Any and all ideas would be great.  
    • Posted

Having the same problems any relief for you ? One month of antibiotics and one antibiotic shot nothing!!!
  • Posted

Hi how did you make out are you cured I am having the same problem I had an antibiotic shot in Urgent care last night went to my PCP today no bacteria but still have burning been on meds for a month !!!! 
  • Posted

I have been on Macrobid for 10 days and still I have symptoms. I am so tired of being on meds.
    • Posted

I started taking Uva Ursi from the vitamin store. No more burning and went the the urologist on Monday no infection.  But I was on  antibiotics for a month sometimes I went to the doctor no infection but still burning. I felt some relief after taking UVA Ursi the first time now I just take 3 pills a day. 
    • Posted

Sorry for a delayed response.   I went To the urologist on Thursday after having a CT scan, and X-rays and a cystotomy.  And the results are...I have a 20mm kidney stone in my right kidney and a smaller one in my left.  I have To have surgery to remove the right kidney stone and they are going to blast my left one to smaller pieces and will have to urinate that one out.  So I am Happy I do Not have bladder cancer or a tumor.  But, I am Not happy about having surgery.  I hope Everything is healing for you and you figured out the reason for your UTIs.  I will Update once the surgery is over. 
    • Posted

I'm very glad they found the stones. Best of luck with surgery!

• Posted

I’m doing well no more symptoms please keep me posted on your recovery 
  • Posted

I am 52 yrs. old and have gotten a UTI for the 1st time in my life, after vomiting/diarrhea from food poisoning.  Ecoli, yes, is the culprit. And no, the doctor did not diagnose the UTI when I went to urgent care with severe abdominal pain, vomiting, fever/chills (standard symptoms of UTI). Im a nurse, and because I was crazy sick out of my head, it did not occur to me til 3 days later, and I started having burning urination and horrible itchy (ants in my pants) vaginal area.  I already knew that antibiotics was not they way to go since they kill both bad/good bacteria and upset your body's natural defense of bacteria.  Antibiotics treat the symptoms not the cause ... so

here is what has provided much relief so far.  Probiotics (feed the good bacteria in your body for natural defense), D-Mannose-powder/capsule (is a complex sugar from cranberries that ecoli bacteria sticks to like a magnet and is flushed out of your bladder when urinating), Vit C (filters out toxins from your bloodstream), and for the intense itching/discomfort in the vagina after peeing - organic virgin coconut oil (coconut oil is a natural anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial/fungal oil) I use it daily for muscle pain/sunburns/ bug bits, scratches etc. And thank God it gave me relief after peeing.  Also, after peeing if you rinse the vaginal area with warm water or sit in a warm bath helps too. I noticed if I drink any alcohol, have caffinated coffee or OJ (acidic foods/juice) - I'm right back to where I started.  SO, stay away from those things to not trigger another UTI episode.  Dr. Axe, a Naturopathic doctor has a website that is very informative for any health issue to heal the core problem, not just treat the symptoms like alot of medicines do.  So, I hope this helps someone.

• Posted

Oh, I forget a very important detail.  It really helps me when I stay away from eating sugar (as much as possible).

Sugar feeds the bad bacteria, especially yeast. So, avoiding sugar, alcohol, caffeine, acidic food/drinks has really helped me to avoid triggering the UTI symptoms.

• Posted

Thank you so much for this detailed information. I can use all the help I can get. I can't believe this is your first UTI. You're very lucky. Stay well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.