I stopped taking ativan after taking it for 10 years every day. I experienced NO withdrawal symptos

Posted , 3 users are following.

I stopped taking Ativan after being on it for 10 years taking .5 milligrams a day I had no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever I'm going on my second week it doesn't have to be the nightmare that everybody talks about

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ativan is a Benzo right? I take alpraezolam daily. Even though you were on a fairly small dose,it was an extended period of time. I know 0.5 is not the largest dose,but people are affected differently by Benzos. Anyone on it for an extended period of time if I am correct is NEVER advised to stop cold turkey. For some it can be very dangereous. You are lucky. Xx
    • Posted

I tapered off I didn't do it cold turkey I have been completely off of it now for 9 days I tapered off for two weeks prior to completely stopping it

• Posted

Oh, you have no idea how fortunate you are!!!!! I have never, not even once, heard of this. I just called my sister-in-law, who has been a nurse for 35 years. She said she has never heard of this either.

It took me four months to taper off atavan...with few ill effects. Please don't tell others to go cold turkey...especially if they are dealing with anxiety already.

I came off another drug cold turkey that should have been tapered. That is what sent me to the Urgent Care Unit and I was diagnosed with anxiety from the cold turkey drop. I may be dealing with this for the rest of my life. If I were as lucky as you, I think I might head for Vegas.lol

• Posted

I tapered off it took me about two and a half weeks the first week I take it off from .5 milligrams 2.25 the second week I took just a tiny crumb it was even less than that and then finally I just didn't take any I'm pretty Amazed by how well it went I hope that you have an experience like that as well I only for one hour experienced on the fourth day about 1 hour of feeling a little nauseous and then it passed what I did was I ate dark chocolate and kind of comfort foods that kept my serotonin level feeling like I was being rewarded or happy

• Posted

Thank you! I know this was unlikely that I made it through so well.
  • Posted

This makes no sense at all. Not on the drug, not on the dosage and not on the length of time. 
    • Posted

Sorry my voice text is kind of messing up a little bit what I meant to say was I tapered off I didn't do it cold turkey

• Posted

You're right it makes no sense. I have no reason to be dishonest. I am just trying to let people know if they slowly taper off- they could have no awful withdrawal symptoms. I was scared to death to stop taking it when I heard how bad the withdrawal can be ! So I gave it a try anyway.

• Posted

It was the badge that said student, i saw that afterwards. Most people never remain on a .5mg dose a day for anxiety  its not really useful for much How you did that for ten years once a day it probably didnt do anything but a placebo effect after the first few months of it. Anyway you got lucky, very lucky. But most wouldnt.  At least you knew to taper iff of it. It worked for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.