I suffer with BDD but how do i overcome it?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've never been happy with the way i look. Its always been a problem i have suffered with and recently its become a lot worse. I feel like people stare and whisper when im in public, i feel judged all the time and because of this i never want to leave my house. Well this resulted in me taking a large amount of medication and having to stay in hospital. My family and friends didnt believe how bad i was affected and they still dont understand now. Nothing has changed and im still miserable. i pretend to be sick just so i dont have to go to work (i work in a popular food place), i blow my friends off because i dont want to leave my house. Id rather sit and cry at my reflection then dare go outside my front door. Im sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but i just dont know what will help. I have to talk to a therapist due to the hospital but talking wont change what i see in the mirror. Im so tired of feeling this way feeling like no one else feels the same. Has anyone else felt similar to this?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lizzie. I suffer from bdd also. Although I'm not sure if it's really bdd or if I just hate the way I look and can't find a way to accept myself. I've tried depression medicine, therapy, reading books and doing affirmations. Nothing helps. I'm trapped inside my own head and can't get out. Thinking about how much I hate my looks every second of the day. I've self medicated with alcohol...and still do. It's a small quick fix to be able to relax and not focus on my face but alcohol has only brought more pain hurt heartache mistakes and bad into my life...yet I still drink to take the focus off my face. I know it's so selfish to feel this way, that life could be 1000 times worse. But I can't help it. No matter what or how hard I try. I'm very thankful to be alive and grateful for the things and people in my life. Just wish I could stop hating myself.

I read a few comments below and I've heard it all before...it's not as easy to fix this as some might think. I don't know if you ever truly overcome it. I think it's just more of finding a way to deal with and accept it. I've had this problem for over 15 years now and Remer the very first time I felt ugly when I was only 11 years old.

Anyway...maybe talking with someone who has the same thing would help? Idk I've never met or spoke with anyone who had bdd. Most people had never even heard of it until I enlighten them on the sad subject.

Let me know if you ever wana talk!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.