I tested positive but my partner tested negative for herpes.

Posted , 38 users are following.

I have been in a commited relationship for almost 5 years. We are planning on getting married and having kids one day. Two weeks ago I went in to the Dr. because I nicked myself while shaving and I thought it had gotten really infected (maybe a rusty blade, yeast infection from my soap, to much sweating I wasn't sure). When I went in the Dr. told me it wasn't an infected wound it was a herpes sore next to a small nick. We got it tested and I came back positive for herpes.

I have only had 3 sex partners including my current partner and my partner has only been with me. The Dr. said it most likely came from one of my past partners. She said the virus can lay dormant for years before showing signs. However, I told my partner and he got tested. His test results came back saying he has been exposed to the herpes virus but that he did not have it. Which is a relief but at the same time confusing. How can he be clean if I've had it for possibly longer than 5 years and we've been having sex for 5 years? I don't want him to think I've been unfaithful and not to sound like a bad person but I wish he had come back positive so I wouldn't feel so alienated. I've read that the blood and urine test often come back negative because they are "weak" tests and the only way to confirm is by taking a sample from the sore it's self. So is it possible that he has the virus but it is currently dormant and that the test is not 100% reliable?

Any extra insight, knowledge, or previous experience would be appreciated on this subject matter. Thanks!

3 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

with GH, it's either you have it or don't have it. if his blood test is positive for GH antibodies, it means he has it. There is nothing like "he has been exposed". If it's type 2 it's definitely GH. Maybe he doesn't have visible outbreaks, but is actually positive.
  • Posted

Does anyone know to read these test results accurately? The Dr. did not explain what it meant to us very well. And other than saying "he has been exposed" she did not confirm positive or negative. The test we paid for was the HSV IgG which is suppose to be the best.

It was an HSV IgG test

for HVS 1 it said In Range:  <0.90 for="" hvs="" 2="" it="" said="" out="" of="" range:="">5.00H

Value and Interpretation:

<0.90        negative="" 0.90-1.10 ="" equilvocal="">1.10        Positive

From my understanding of this he has HSV 2.

They also used the IgM test but from what I have read it's not very reliable. The results for that test came back all negative.

• Posted

yes you are right he is positive for hsv2 which usually affects the genitals.

Igm is an antibody produced soon after you contract the infection. I'm not sure if it's also produced during recurrent episodes. It gives false negetives if you are not having an outbreak. IGg is the reliable one.

• Posted

Yes, it can be produced during recurrences as well, which is why it is useless for determining recency of infection. Also, the IgM test isn't type-specific.
  • Posted

Here are the exact test results.
  • Posted

They told me to same but latter I tested igG for hsv
  • Posted

From what my dr told me is that the test will come back negative if he hasn't had an outbreak. The only way to be positive is to have an outbreak because then you hav the antibodies in your system. My dr said that usually an outbreak happens 2-3 weeks after you are exposed to it. They could still carry the virus even if they don't show signs of it cold sores etc. so it could be dorment he just won't test positive until he has an outbreak which who knows when that will be. I have had a similar experience. I hope this helps.
    • Posted

Sorry, but that is incorrect. You can have antibodies, which means you are permanently infected and a life-long carrier, *with* or *without* symptoms or outbreaks. Once you have antibodies, that's it. You have herpes. The whole reason why antibodies exist is to fight an infection, hence that person is infected, and in the case of herpes, it's for life.
    • Posted

And, yes, you can most definitely test for it in the absence of symptoms using the IgG antibody test. Only a lesion swab/culture requires an active outbreak.
  • Posted

Thank you to everyone this was very helpful! It still feels awful but at least I know I'm not alone.
  • Posted

I Was told this mrng I have both hsv 1 and 2. 1 is 9.5 and is 23 or greater. I had only been with someone for 1.5yrs...can these numbers give me an idea of when I contracted this virus? Some ppl say usual 2 to 20 days prior to the first outbreak. Is this accurate?
    • Posted

You can't tell much without recent baseline results to compare with. If IgG and that high, it suggests you've probably had it for around 3 months or longer.

• Posted

Hey, I'm hopping that you could help me where with some doubts that I have. I started a relationship, and after a few weeks a was short that I had catch an std. in the hospital they told me that I have hsv 2 igm and igg negative. And my partner need to be tested. So he made the test and came back negative igg and igm, with very low values  ( his last partner was about 4 months ago). So I did the test again two months later and I still have a positive igm and a negative igg. My last partner was about 2 years. How is possible that my came positive and his came back negative? Because if have something it should be from him, since I don't have igg.

• Posted

The IgM test is unreliable and not recommended for herpes. CDC advises against it, but many doctors didn't get the memo, so to speak. You do not have herpes.

• Posted

Yeah I read about that. I took a type specific test for hsv 1 and 2 Elisa, the igm of the type 1 was negative and the type 2 was positive. I m going to take another test on two months too see. And he is going to do another one too. Another question on my mind is that if is possible that is a carrier of the virus and do not have a detectable igg or igm ? Thanks for the answer 
    • Posted

A carrier can absolutely test negative for IgM, even after 3 months. A carrier with a normally functioning immune system and no continuous suppressive meds from the onset should test positive for IgG at 3 months, even a bit earlier. That's why you should not test for IgM. False positives and negatives are possible, so it's really quite useless and tells you nothing. IgG only at 3 months, preferably.

• Posted

I tested positive for hsv 2 yesterday. It came back high: 20.30 but negative for hsv 1. 

I recently got involved with a guy 3 months ago and the past 2 months we’ve had oral sex and genital rubbing. We have not has full intercourse/penetration. Is it possible he has hsv 1 and infected me with hsv 2 especially with the high index level after 2 months? Also, should he be worried as well since we did not have full intercourse?

An ex I’ve been on and off with for 5 years said he got tested (regular STD testing) last year and was negative. Is it possible the test didn’t include hsv testing?

• Posted

HSV1 and HSV2 are related but separate viruses, so someone can't have HSV1 but give you HSV2. Genital rubbing could have put your current partner at risk if he is truly negative, but unprotected sex would be higher risk. HSV testing is not normally included in STD panels and needs to be specifically requested in many cases, so it's very possible your ex never tested for it.

• Posted

So I take another test igg type 1 and 2, and now both are positive. He take another one to type 2 and is negative. I don’t understand what is happening.  
    • Posted

His index values were very low, I don’t known mine because it was in the hospital so just say positive or negative. But since I had an igm positive type 2 and now an igg, the doctor say that was been seroconversion so I really have it from him, and the type 1 is probably due to cross reactivity between the both virus.
    • Posted

I would get tested for IgG again, but somewhere where they provide index values. Maybe the same clinic that your bf went to?
    • Posted

Yeah I was thinking about that. Maybe is better to wait 2/3 months to antibodies established properly what you think?
    • Posted

Waiting 2-3 months would give you a more definitive result. 
    • Posted

I got tested with HERPESELECT an my results were 0.29 for HSV 1 IGG

and 4.53 for HSV 2 IGG, 

HSV 1 IGM SCREEN Negative 

HSV 2 IGM SCREEN Negative 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.