I think I h ave Shingles but Dr.said No so what is it then?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Family Dr. said I do not have shingles because have no pain just a rash on my shoulder that is itchy and burny....I had skin testing for allergies 3 months ago and 3 days later my arm had a rash used super steroid cream which made my skin so then and dry ,it did clear up after 2 and 1/2 weeks.now 3 months later I develop a itch,burny rash where they injected the Control for the skin allergy testing....is that a coincidence or could it be shingles since i did have a slight sore throat before I got this rash...My Immune system sucks..I seem to get everything..Gulianne-Barre Syndrome..Yep,had that too....1 in 100,000 people get that and I did so....I am so tired of DR.s saying No to me when I explain things so...now i ma on an anti viral Medication plus an antibiotic since I have an Sinus Infection...I still think its Shingles...someone,please tell me I am not going crazy....Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'll be interested to see what others say, but a rash is just one symptom of shingles. Many people, like me, don't get a rash. But one of the main symptoms of shingles is pain. The pain and rash may not show up at the same time. I'm trying to sort out your information here, but if I remove the earlier situation, what you have right now is an itchy burning rash, correct?I

I personally didn't think I had shingles at first. I had pain in my shoulder and back for one day, no rash, then two weeks later had a very tiny rash and no pain. At that point the doctor and I didn't think it was shingles. Then a week later, I had terrible pain, and we realized it was shingles, as the pain followed the nerve, my regular doctor diagnosed it.

This is a long way to say, it can be hard to tell. At the first sign of pain, I'd get to a doctor. If you get shingles you need the anti-virals within a short period of time. Good luck, I hope you just have sensitive skin and problems with allergies, which is MUST better than having shingles. Allergies and rashes are very difficult to diagnose.

• Posted

Since I basically have no pain,although if you touch it,it does hurt,the Dr.s say no shingles...I am thinking when I had the skin allergy testing done and broke out in a rash(no itch) on my lower arm....what confuses me is now I have this red,itchy,burning rash on my shoulder where they did a control test when I had the skin test done,,,this puzzles me...even though,it has been 3 months since I had that skin test done,,,could it be an underlying effect and just now developed?...the Allergist that i went to didn't seem to know why I broke out in that rash after the skin test was done...do i want to go back to him? do I want to go back to my family dr.? do I want to go to another urgent care dr.?.....oh and sleep is another problem been getting awake at 4 :30 am,now its 3:30 am...go to bed at the same time but get awake at these odd hours...I sleep from 11pm till 6 or 7 am....now with this happening i am just so tired and frustrated....Thanks for replying....

• Posted

Hi,

I agree with babs who also responded to you. Shingles attacks the nerves and is EXTREMELY PAINFUL. The rash was my easiest part, came fast and went away fast. Its the Post-shingles that is so horrible. I didnt know you could be on an anti-viral and antibiotic at the same time. I was first diagnosed ( before rash) with sinus infection so was given antibiotic but the next day when I was re-diagnosed ( rash appeared) with Shingles, they immediately took me off the antibiotics and put me on the anti-viral ( was too late and did absolutely nothing to help me). I also got the two part Shingles vaccination once my rash was gone.

I would definitely get a second opinion so you can be treated properly, especially since you think its Shingles. The post Shingles nerve pain and itching still bothers me a year later so there are some long term nerve pain pills out there that you may or may or may not need. My Shingles was on my right side of face, it was HORRIBLE!

Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

I am completely confused since I have no pain except when I touch it when washing...MyUrgent care Dr. said it was shingles and put me on Valtrex,then I went to my family Dr. and she put me on antibiotic since I had this sinus infection...I am only sleeping 4 hours a night,I just get awake from the itching....it is driving me crazy,i just want to scratch but I don't.....I am sorry you had to go thru this.it is almost maddening....

• Posted

my shingles experience was different i had no rash or pain. i was diagnosed by my doctor after a friend noticed a bump on my back. then was given the shingles vaccine. have had very little issues since many years ago. the vaccine is spendy but worth it. i have no nerve pain or rashes since. recently received the updated vaccine SHINGEX since it offers long term protection .

• Posted

Hi Koke,

While it may be difficult to diagnose Herpes Zoster-Shingles, it is not impossible. I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States. I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear throat, and mouth every three weeks for the past 23 years.

1. Did the vesicles-blisters come in crops or waves over a period of five days?
    2. Did the vesicles have different shapes and sizes?
    3. Google dermatomes and see where the rash distribution is on your shoulder and if it matches the distribution of the rash.
    4. What accompanying symptoms did/do? you have ?

Headache Photophobia, Swollen lymph nodes,

Fever Chills Sweating, Aches and Pains, Fatigue and Exhaustion.

you can have itching, slight burning, at the site of the rash, without severe agonizing pain. It certainly hurts when you touch it.

It usually starts hurting more the second week from onset of the rash.

Cotton is the only material I would wear over the rash/painful area.

Individuals tend to get Herpes Zoster-Shingles at areas at the site of trauma, ie surgical sites, trauma, head trauma (that's me LOL) ; that could be you with your allergy testing and impaired immune system.

Please answer my questions regarding your vesicles-blisters and accompanying symptoms.

How long have you had the itching, burning, rash?

How old are you?

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi....Vesicles came over a period of 5 days..waves

in different sizes and shapes

Dermatomes-C6...Yes

M<y Symtomes....Headache

Slight Temp.( I always run 97.6 which is my normal temp.}...99,2 is not normal for me...Dr. said I have a Sinus Infection and Congestion

Chills and Sweating off and on,which is definitely not normal for Me,its 88 here and I had a t-shirt,flannel shirt and a Hoodie on so the chills and sweating was not normal..

Fatigue and Exhaustion...yes, too tired to do anything,I usually walk outside for 30 min. very morning but haven't since I am so tired...

I do have burning itch with no agonizing pain...hurts when I wash that area though

2nd week is starting shortly...

Burning itchy rash for 9 days

I am 73

My Husband cut the sleeves of 3 of his t-shirts so nothing touches my shoulder,I couldn't stand having a short sleeve t-shirt on,now it helps not having anything touching that area.

Thanks so much,You have helped explain quite a bit and I don't feel so stressed now

Koke

• Posted

@1. > Had a really,really bad night...!! I am getting less and less sleep each night and feel more exhausted during the day,i cannot even fall asleep during the day...the itch is unbearable esp. at night....This morning I was awake at 1:35 am...yesterday it was 3:45 am. the day before it was about 4:00 am...seems like I am getting less sleep each night...I don't have any inclination to eat either...No appetite...I can't stand to have clothing touching the rash,it causes more burning itching....If i am sitting and My shoulder touches the chair ver so slightly,I get the burning itchy again...I cannot sleep on my back,that wakes me up...not even laying on my side,if I should even ever so lightly happen to have my shoulder touch the sheets,I am awake then with the burning,itchy feeling ,,,I get out of bed..wash my shoulder,dry it, apply calamine lotion,let that dry and finally I get some relief but not much..so now,here I am typing messages because I cannot get back to sleep....I want to go to My Family Dr, but he said I didn't have shingles or the Allergy Dr. who didn't quite know what to make of my arm rash from the skin testing or the Urgent care Dr. who said I have shingles and put me on Valtrex....I am going to go somewhere today but where is another question...

No one to talk to at 4 in the morning so you lucky people are the ones who get to hear Me whine....Nothing else to do so I am here....Would really appreciate some replies...I am at the breaking point...the tears are starting...probably from lack of sleep and stress....Thanks for reading all of this...Hope all of you have a better day.

Koke

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.