I think I have OCD but don't know and am to scared to talk yo my parents or anyone about it

Posted , 9 users are following.

Please help me I don't know what to do! I am nearly 13 and I have recently been thinking I have OCD. For the last few months I have had several obsessions/rituals or whatever you want to call them. One of them is that I am terrified of someone breaking in and hurting me or my family. I am obsessed with shutting windows and will get scared if they are open. I will wake up in the middle of the night worried that I might have forgotten to shut them and have to get up and check. Another problem is that I constantly feel lonely and are incredibly attached to my parents for my age I(Idon't know if this is anything to do with it but might be.) I will feel lonely unless someone is talking to me or I am touching someone else even if were in the same room. I  also have to check my whole room for about 20 minutes before I go to bed to check for anything such as spiders or anything else abnormal. Thee are a few other things but don't want to bore you. Like I say I don't know if all if any of this is OCD but need to know as it is scaring me now please help!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Fullj098,

First thing I noticed is that you are well clever for your age!!

You know why I thinks so?

Cause you allready answered your core question. the WHY, where does it come from..

Fullj098: that I constantly feel lonely and are incredibly attached to my parents for my age I(Idon't know if this is anything to do with it but might be.)

You want to be in control of your secure ness. you are like a body guard on guard all time making sure you are safe and the family is and you want to stay sure of that so you chheck it all.

Are you parents very chill people or the opposit?

And to be fair, try to read other ocd stories of 13 or 14 year olds. Those are like really diffrent from each other, some have to check the toilet light bumb 19x times before they go to sleep, so it doesn't break.

when I was 12 I remember goiing through a fase just like this, but I did not have parents to talk to :s

You seem like having greatt parents, use them by beiing honest and letting out your fear, that's the most beautiful thing for a parent to receive and help their own daughter through. maybe they will even share their own experiences of it.

but having ocd is way worse on a long therm period, like for 5 years, not beiing able to control it.

You can, so try to go to your parents!!!

and keep me/ uss updated bout ur actionss

x

• Posted

Hey sweetie, sounds like you could have ocd, but dont be scared or embarressed to talk to people, I was and now at the age of 21 I still struggle to explain myself as I left it so long, and my obsessions and rituals have gotten outta  control. Even if you think googling ocd and reading through it with your parents might be an easier way to let them know how you are feeling. You can get help with these feelings and obsessions, especially as you have caught it early, id say the best advice I can give is try to talk about it and get the help and support you need now rather than waiting to see if it gets worse. Good luck and hope you manage! smile xx 
  • Posted

Hi fulljo98,  I hope that you are feeling okay, please don't ever think that you are alone in how you are feeling, I am so very sure that your parents would understand and support you if you let them know how you feel.

I think that almost everyone has some traits of OCD in their make up, I have to check that the lights are off by repeatedly turning them on and off, also every piece of crockery has to be lined up perfectly, and many other things.

If you think about it your fears are because you are being protective, which is quite logical, what you don't want is them getting too intrusive in your life.

Please speak to your parents, I am sure they will understand. I have two adult sons who (I won't say suffer) have OCD that has really impacted on their lives, it is a real shame that we could not have helped them earlier, I am certainly sure that your parents will want to do all that they can to put your mind at ease.  Good luck and very best wishes to you.....

• Posted

Looks like there are some great replies on this post already smile I agree with all the other people who have replied. 

I guess if you are afraid of someone hurting your family/you are attached to your parents you must love them and they must be supportive of you. I think it would be a good idea to try and explain to them how you are feeling. I know OCD is probably a tricky one to talk about as you might be worried people will tell you to just stop doing the rituals but of course it's far more difficult than that, but I really think it sounds like your parents will be supportive of you and try to help you through this. 

I don't know if I have slight OCD or else OCD personality disorder (which is different according to wikipedia) but I used to make lists of things to do and end up re-writing the list if I had ticked something off because I felt it was no longer clear to read and could end up writing the same list 3 or 4 times for basically no reason other than this compulsion to be able to refer to a list that was easy to read. I also used to re-check things, exam answers (even before I was done the exam, which caused me to lose time), check things were locked, check I had taken the right things with me out of my locker. It got to the point where if I was anxious, I would forget that I was just checking something once and I would just repeatedly check it feeling more and more anxious and less sure I had done it right because I wasn't concentrating on the checking 100% so I might have made a mistake checking I had everything and missed out on something I hadn't done. . . Anyways, what I found helpful was literally telling myself, "This is just my OCD. I dont' neeed to check this again." or making myself remember I had checked it before I would just instinctively recheck it. "No, I know I checked this already because I saw it in the bag." Of course, sometimes you will have to doublecheck something again because the compulsion will be so strong and that's ok but the more you practise the less tied down you come by these compulsions that can start to rule you. 

I hope this makes sense and is of some help to you Fullj. 

Let us know how you get on and best of luck, you can get through this! smile 

Best wishes, 

anonymousgirl 

PS Even if you're not ready to talk to your parents about it, you can still talk to us here anytime you need to smile 

• Posted

Hi Fullj098,

It could be OCD, it could be a phase, it could be anything. I have always been obsessed with being safe and secure but it tends to only come out and panic me when I am in a new place (e.g. staying wth family or on holiday) on on my own overnight. There is going to be a simple reason behinid it (and OCD is a simple reason, it is the coping with it that is the difficult part). It could be you had dream or watched something on TV that has triggered the subconcious thoughts to be concious. It could just be a phase. 

For a 13 year old, I must agree with Elanora, you do seem pretty bright to be able to pick out these patterns and notice that they are bothering you.  If you aren't comfortable talking with your parent, are there any other family members that you could talk too? (Grandparents, aunts, uncles, older siblings etc)If not what about teachers or support staff at school? IF you feel that none of this is helping, you can still see your GP (if you are in the UK) and discuss it with them. Your parents DO NOT have to go with you and anything you discuss wit them i confidential. 

Well done for noticing and talking about something that is bottering you, it is a very hard thing to do. 

Take care

Claire x

• Posted

Thank you for everything I really want to talk to my parents as I trust them and think they will be supportive I'm just scared of what they will think and say I don't know if they will think I'm just being annoying and I want them to understand how I am feeling wether it is OCD or not. I am going to talk to my brother and then maybe he can come with me to talk to my parents. Thanks for the advice and will definetly follow it. Thanks for saying I am clever to. I am hopefully going to talk to them tonight or tommorow depending on their mood but thankyou all for e help smile
    • Posted

Hi,

You have mastered the worse as been said in recognising you may have a problem Hopefully you will talk to your parents tonight,and maybe they have noticed things and will be pleased you have come out with it they may have been delaying the situation the same as you.Remember at your age hormones are all over the place a horrible age to b going through ,but you will come out of it with asking for help,and as mentioned you can go to GP and it should be confidential ,Do wish you better and don't leave it.

Let us know how you get on,there will always be somebody on here to listen.

• Posted

Yeah hopefully I will and they will understand will keep u all posted. 
    • Posted

It's great that you have decided to talk to your parents, I think that talking to your brother first is a great idea. I have done that before myself and it's good to have someone you know already definitely understands to be there when you talk to your parents if you're a bit apprehensive about it. smile 

I hope it goes well for you, do let us know how you get on and we will still be here for you.

All the best, 

anonymousgirl 

• Posted

Hi guys I spoke to my brother first as u know and he was really supportive and came with me to talk to my parents. When I spoke to my parents my mum said she isn't sure wether it's OCD or not but she thinks I definetly have some sort of anxiety issue but we will see how it goes. I feel a bit better having talked to people and I know others support me and I'm not on my own. I really appreciate all your help with everything and without you guys I wouldn't have had the courage to talk to my parents I would have just suffered in silence if not. So although I still don't know what it is I know I'm not alone so thankyou! smile smile
    • Posted

Hi,

so so proud of you well done you have taken the first step and that needs some doing,but thought you could by your post you had recognised it.

Now treat yourself to something nice if only a naughty bar of chocolate,you must feel a bit relieved.Take each day as it comes small steps ,Just and try and eliminate a thing a day that bothers you.

Keep us posted.

Well done again remember a problem shared Ida problem halved.

• Posted

This is great news Fullj, so glad it went well! I knew it would! smile Now you can start to get over it with the help and support of your family instead of hiding it and dealing with it alone! 

Welldone! 

anonymousgirl xx

• Posted

Sorry for mistakes should have read a problem shared is a problem halved
    • Posted

Thankyou so much I do feel so relieved. So glad I found this site I wouldn't have done anything without it and you guys it really has helped me and feels like a massive weight lifted off my shoulders even though he problem is still there I'm not alone now
    • Posted

That is the first and the hardest step *super hugs* you should be proud of yourself x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.