I think I'm addicted and I'm scared to quit

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have no idea what to do or how to help myself. I wake up and go to sleep with debilitating feelings of anxiety and by the middle of the day my mood drops and I feel low. Co-codamol solves this but I also get the feeling it's causing this. I've been abusing the painkiller daily just to control my feelings and motivate myself to do things. At the moment I usually take 2 pills only but I'm at home more often as I'm "in between jobs", so I may take anything between 2-6. When I don't take it I get anxiety and it drives me crazy. I can't distract myself as everyone around me is busy with their lives and I'm out of work. I do want to quit, I'm just scared and don't know if I can handle it. I plan on getting back to work very soon, so I'm wondering if I should try to quit when I start working that way I'll be able to distract myself better or should I quit while all this time on my hands?

How do I quit without feeling like rubbish? I really don't want to do this alone

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear May,

Firstly, you've come to the right place. We are all either in the same boat or have similar harrowing tales. OK, it's one thing to share, but we need to know what to do.

Firstly, without trying to alarm you, you are exhibiting classic symptoms of the early stages of addiction. My story, cut very short, I used N+, about 16 per day for the calming effect it gave me and I was battling alcohol dependence - I'd suffered a heart attack 3 months prior to the beginnings of my addiction, thrown onto the streets and was trying to find happiness in this soul-less box of a flat.

When I 'beat the booze' the N+ filled the hole. When I then tried to quit the N+ (12.8mg codeine per tablet, which converts to morphine in the liver), I suffered the worst (what I thought) was flu. Horrendous. I couldn't focus, was anxious, achy bones, zero appetite, so, as a kind of macarbre experiment, I went to another chemist, one I hadn't used recently, and bought just 12. These, I promptly necked, and lo and behold, my symptoms disappeared completely.

This, I found to be very alarming; as it confirmed that I had a full blown addiction to codeine.

When I blurted out these very words "I'm addicted to Over the Counter painkillers", the doctor turned to me aand said "you cannot get addicted to caffeine". "it's not caffeine", I replied, "it's codeine". He pulled an enormous manual from his shelf and after some deliberation, prescribed a program of codeine phosphate only; gradually reducing, so that I'd be weaned off codeine completely after 3 weeks or so.

Now, I've said this many times on here and with total agreement from other contributors here, agree that these tablets have no effect whatsoever. The legal doseage a GP cn prescribe I believe is 180mg codeine phosphate per day, and I was somewhate confused because the only othe ingredient present in N+ is Ibuprofen, which of course does nothing other than deal with pain. It beggars the question "what else is in these tablets". I tried (and failed) countless times on this road, always topping up with N+. When my problem grew to 32 N+ per day, I was referred to the drugs advisory clinic; by this time, I was on 64N+ and my GP sent me immediately to hospital to get a thourough check up and miraculously, I was ok. You will hear stories of people having half of their stomach removed - YET still continue to use, and if I run this by you, you will see why.

Each N+ tablet contains 12.8 mg codeine. This converts into morphine by the liver. 32 N+ is 409.6mg codeine. 64N+, therefore is 0.8pure codeine (a gram, nearly, of morphine - which is heroin.

Anyway, I digress. What I would do is this:

1. Go and see your GP immediately and tell him that you ARE (not think), addicted to over the counter painkillers.

2. Be very insistent about this, clear, no need for drama, be emotional - be yourself. He will either prescribe codeine. Here you have two choices - a) take the prescription and see if it works, or b) tell him our stories about how they, to your knowledge, do not work.

The third option is one I would thoroughly recommend - the Drugs Clinic. You will be assessed and put onto a program. Do not be alarmed if the word 'methodone' crops up. There are two options, either methodone (a green liquid) or subutex. I cjhose subutex (Bupronorphine). You will be seen by a key worker to discuss how things are, and in my case, was prescribed Buprenorphine, 6mg per day. At first, you take it in an office in the pharmacy and you will be watched. After a coule of weeks (and don't sneak in the odd slab of co-co's or N+ as they will show up in your urine test0  and although you will still be on the program, it will continue to be supervised.

I've 'graduated' to two pick-ups - I'm on one 2mg Bupe per day - so on Monday, I get 4 x 2 mg Bupes and on Friday, I get 3 x 2mg Bupes. I no longer sneak in or have the need for any N+ - for me, they completely wiped away any craving for any other opiate (N+ in my case never touched heroin). They make you feel like you can function and relaxed - therein lies a temptation to 'just take another, I'll be ok for one day without' DON'T!! That day is so long and horrendous, before you know it, you'll b tearing walls up and screaming down the road to the nearest chemist.

Finally, personally, I'm on day 17.8. There have been rocky moments, but sheer determination and will power will reward you - that I promise.

Crucially, think on why you took them in the first place. In my case, it was depression - and finally, after many attempts at many different types of A/D, I found mirtazipine which clicked beautifully (if one can call a chemical beautiful), on the lowest dose od 15mg per day.

Enough from me. You will be supported thoroughly by the very good and very real people on this site. It is a horrendous addiction, as big a problem in the UK as alcohol, which is why it is referred to as "my dirty little secret".

All the best and hope that helped.

Rich

• Posted

Hi Rich. What a super reply to May (and the rest of us). Great stuff and it's kind of you to take the time to do it. Love Drew xxx

• Posted

Hi, Rich.

You've seriously been so helpful. Everything you said I wasn't even aware of. The co-codamol I take is prescribed, 30/500mg of codeine phosphate and paracetamol. I'm able to get it for free from somebody close to me. At first, I was taking it for severe menstrual cramps and although I loved the feeling I wouldn't touch it for anything other than pain.

When I was 19 I started abusing it just to "take the edge off". I'd pop a couple just before work to handle a long day. And then it became more frequent, I started sneaking pills from the person I got them from because I was running out - which I'm still very ashamed of. I'm now 20 and I keep making excuses for my habit and trying to hide how much I take and why I take it. On average I take a maximum on 4, the most I've taken is 6 but that's when I'm in pain. Honestly, I am going to miss feeling relaxed, "floaty" and free, that's another reason why I'm so scared to quit, but I can't let these pills control me. I'm glad I found this group and heard everyone's story, it's made quitting less daunting. I'm definitely going to look into your suggestions now that I know more about it. I'm aiming for 30 days free.

Keep me updated on how you're doing. Thanks again

May

• Posted

Hi May, 

and thank you for your kind words. I think a big issue with many people is what to replace what you've strived so hard to beat, with. Activity of sorts immediately springs to mind; easier said than done when you don't feel like doing anything at all.

When my father passed 6 years ago, my mother, naturally was devestated. They had a perfect lifestyle in Spain, and then, quite suddenly, he was gone. She moved back to UK, plunged herself into art,  and busies herself. The pain never goes, but it does get easier.

I can't provide cures, but it does make sense to me that the less time spent brooding on whatever issue, life can only get brighter.

The stories that you read are very very real with no embellishment.

I like to help where I can.

All the best,

Rich

• Posted

Good advice Rich. I know when I first tried cold turkey.. my old favourite films helped. I just locked myself away and tried to take my mind off it. Hot baths can help too xxx Drew
    • Posted

I agree. Thanks again Rich. Old films is a good tip, I'll just stay at home and binge watch Titanic. Thanks guys xx

• Posted

Yeah, get those old films out (some good old black and white ones). Eat some nice food if you can, plenty of healthy juice. Hot baths... In this weather just curl up in front of the fire. Good luck xxx Drew
  • Posted

Unfortunately feeling rubbish is part of it. The good news is it's doable and trust me it will be worth it. I say this just now as I'm on day 2 of not taking any cocodamol and tonight will be going to my first ever narcotics anonymous meeting (if u Google narcotics anonymous and ur country e.g UK it gives u a helpline and a list of groups) I have quit a few times and now know I can't take even 2 after I've stopped as the addiction comes back. The best things I've found for withdrawals are a hayfever tablet for shakes/ imodium for dhiorea and and asparin/anadin for the headaches. Be strong and think back to how normal u felt before taking them

• Posted

Hi Grant

You should be proud that you've decided to quit and attending meetings. Thanks for the information, I tried looking for Benedryl for the anxiety but couldn't find any with Diphenhydramine, if you know any good ones please let me know.

I made it to day 3 of not taking any pills but failed. I was having really bad dizziness, heart racing, panic attacks and I got some from a friend. The pills had 8mg of codeine and were cheap painkillers from Superdrug.

I recently found out that I have B12 and Folate deficiency and it causes the dizziness, heart palpitations and mood swings so it makes it harder to feel normal or functional. I think that's the reason I made it a habit. Hopefully, once I go to the GP I'll be able to quit more successfully. For now, I will just start again. Keep me updated. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.