I took my first dose of Spiriva Respimat today and feel terrible.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I took my first dose at 10am today and since then i have felt awful. My breathing feels worse, I have a headache feel shaky and now im very scared. I have taken more of my Tranquillers today than ever before. I have just phoned my doctors pharmacy and told her about this and she said to take the blue rescue inhaler but im too scared to now. Also take tomorrows dose and if i still feel bad then i will need to get this sorted out. Anyone else felt like this and have found an inhaler that works well for them. I know its my first day but there have been times today that i thought this was my last day on earth. Im very depressed now and feeling so alone. I thought this would help my breathing not make it worse plus all the other bad effects.

I feel like giving up on life.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mandy,

Sorry to hear about how you feel. I have been there myself. Based on my experience so far I would say give your new inhaler a few days to actually start working. If your condition doesn't improve at all, I suggest you can ask for a course of oral steroids which should definitely do the trick. Hope you feel better soon. All the inhalers in the market for COPD have very similar composition. Your doctor may prescribe you a different inhaler if the current doesn't work but it usually takes a few days for you to start feeling the difference. 

• Posted

Thank you abhi3112,

I will give it another try tomorrow and see how it goes. I think today i built myself up into a panic before taking the inhaler so hopefully tomorrow things will be better but if it keeps happening then i will have to see the dr. I didn't take the rescue inhaler as didn't know if i should have but maybe that would have helped.

• Posted

Any time you feel breathless, usr your rescue inhaler. That's what it's there for. It may be medicine but it's not rocket science. And yes, you need a number of days on the spiriva for it to work.

• Posted

Hi Mandy! I think your anxiety may be taking hold of you. All of us on this forum have COPD at some level or the other. It can be controlled with inhalers and our rescue inhaler when needed. I don't know if you are having side effects from spiriva or not. My daughter swears by Spiriva. I myself was in spiriva and doing very well on it. My family Doctor percribed it for me but when I was referred to a Respirologist he changed it to ultibrow. Personally I feel no difference in the two. There are so many out there so if you can't adjust then ask your doctor to change it but please give it a try and settle down and try to relax. I have been in a COPD excersize group for a year now. It has helped me soooo much. This is something you may want to consider. Wishing you all the best and try to take a deep breath and settle down. We all are here for you! 

Ellen from 🇨🇦

• Posted

Hi Ellen,

I agree i think my anxiety has played a big part in the way i felt. Anyway i took my second dose today and breathing a bit better but still get a bad headache with in 20 minutes of taking it. I did phone my Dr and she said that Spiriva does not cause headaches funny though as i never suffered with them before. I am going to continue taking this for a week see how it goes but i just want to know do the side effects go away or will i always have them as i really don't want these to ruin our holiday abroad in two weeks.

Thank you for your help

Mandie

• Posted

Mandy, Spiriva Respimat would not make you feel as though it were your 'last day on earth'. It MIGHT give you a bit of a sore throat .. or your heart beat a little faster for a minute or two .. maybe even a little nauseous, but I've never heard of it feeling as bad as you say.

I think your problem is anxiety.

Jo

• Posted

Hi Jo,

I think a lot of it was down to my anxiety but i did feel rough. I have taken today's dose and was still a little anxious. I have noticed though that it does give me a headache which i don't normally suffer with. Its mainly at the front of the head just above the eyes. I hope this is normal in some people as don't really want to have headaches every day. Im trying to relax as so many people have said that Spiriva is good so im sticking it out. If i get breathless later then i will have to remember to use the rescue inhaler but i thought i would not need to ever use this. Another inhaler to try. Oh well we all have to learn and if it helps then its worth it.

• Posted

Why would you think that your doc would give you a rescue inhaler and you'd never have to use it??? That makes no sense. The doc belueved you might need it and tge doc 8s trained in this stuff. Yes, some folks have posted in your string saying they've never used theirs but this is the 1st I have ever heard in 22 years of anyone supposedly worse than Level 1 "never" needing their rescue inhaler, and I personally can intro you to scads of level or stage 1 folks who use theirs every day. Many many many millions around the world, all stages, use 2 puffs x 4 x every single day because they need that, in addition to whatever else they are on. Consider yourself lucky if you don't need it that much, but you are supposed to keep that with you at all times in case you do need it.

Medication is expensive whether the system is socialized medicine or our American non-system of non-health care. If you are never going to use the medicines because you are afraid of them, why waste those precious commodities by getting them at all? I do not understand this.

You are not exhibiting usual signs of allergic reaction. The headache sounds like your admitted anxiety. Headache is the easiest thing for us to literally worry ourselves into having. Have you taken a headache pill when you get this headache? Because that's the common sense thing to do. This time of year where I live, we all get headaches every day because of all the stuff in the air. Take an excedrin, use a warm compress over the eyes or forehead, do whatever usually works for headaches. If you are so lucky as to have gotten this far in life without having a headache until now, lucky you. If you are still smoking cigs or e-cigs, those cause headaches, also. But if the headache really worries you, go to the doc, er/casualty.

• Posted

Hi aitarg35939,

you speak very wise words. I have every intention to use the rescue inhaler if and when needed as I understand that it’s there to help. I have said that I am an anxious person that’s because I spent 27 years of my life confined to my home due to Agoraphobia which led me to become an Alcohol. I was given 6 weeks to live if I didn’t stop the drink which I did and not with hospital detox or any pills as I did it all on my own in 4 days and have been dry for 8 years now. I know this is nothing to do with Spiriva but you comments make me sound like I’m to scared to try anything and give up before I start. I’m a strong person as must be to quit booze with out help. Yes I don’t like taking meds as in the past I have had bad reactions to them so I’m sceptical. I have only in the past few years started to get my life back where I do go out but I still get anxiety attacks so when a medication makes me feel ill it scares me as I never want to become Agoraphobia again. I am continuing with the Spiriva and see if it gets easier and of course I take a headache pill if needed. Like most people who need to take new inhalers is a little scary . I enjoy reading your comments as you speak openly and truthfully but at the same time I feel you put me down to someone that doesn’t deserve this inhaler as wasting money.  I’m just a normal person who is apprehensive of something new to me and needing other users help and advice so I can get over my fears and hopefully live a happy life with this medication.

• Posted

That was a lot to overcome, Mandy, so indeed you are strong! It sounded when you started here as tho you were going to leave both inhalers on the shelf but come on every day asking us if you were going to have bad reactions to medicines more or less without ever trying them. No one can answer such a question except a person who knows factually that the person has had previous anaphylactic reaction to an ingredient in the med. I understand that you & another person on this thread are afraid of the meds but you're the only people I've come across, in person & on here, afraid of inhalers which, bottom line, help people breathe.

Agoraphobia is a tough ongoing battle, I'm sure. It is so easy to just stay home and shortly it's been a week or a month or more. Good luck with the meds.

• Posted

I've had no problems with spiriva in fact I find it helps me be more active.  But sure it doesn't suit everyone and there are other options if spiriva is not working for you.

If spiriva and rescue inhaler are the only inhaler meds you have, I would do as your pharmacist suggests, take the rescue (blue inhaler / ventolin / salbutamol etc)  especially if you think your symptoms are worse from the spiriva, then see your doc again about the reaction from spiriva.  Always go back to the doc if the medicine is not working for you or if your symptoms are worse.

Hope you find tomorrow things are easier for you.

• Posted

Thank you Vee2 ,

i appreciate your reply. I also hope today is better and I agree I have heard great things about Spiriva so going to stick with it for at least a week then decide if I need to talk to Dr if still causing me issues.

• Posted

Spiriva is also known as the"gold standard ". Most copders are using spiriva. However, you may be allergic to teotropium bromide so until it can be checked out I advise to discontinue. '

• Posted

There are several new inhalers available and more coming out soon. Ask your Dr for samples.
  • Posted

I believe there are two spiriva respimat. 1.5. And 2.5

Recommended dosage is two puffs once a day. I don't know which one you are on. Try just one puff a day

• Posted

Hi morty96319,

im not sure what dose I am on so I will check. I know it’s 2 puffs a day at same time but if it’s the higher dose then I agree maybe just taking one puff might be enough. Thank you for your helpful advice.

• Posted

You should always take your medicines as prescribed mandy, as your doctor prescribes that is.  Same as stopping meds, always check with your doctor.  Never on the advice from someone on a forum.

If you are having an extreme reaction from any medication phone your doctors surger and ask to speak with the duty doctor or if after hours contact the 111 service (UK)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.