I’ve been bloated for 2 weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

My stomach and abdomen have been bloated for 2 weeks and it’s becoming a nuisance. I often feel nauseous along with an aching pain, uncomfortable tightness and period pain in my abdomen. I’m on the pill so I do not get periods. It’s always worse after eating and before bed. I’ve tried a lot of medicine like paracetamol, ibuprofen, Rennies, senokot and buscopan tablets to see if anything changes but nothing seems to be! I do find that if my stomach is having a moment, buscopan will calm it down.

I’ve been to the doctor, she didn’t have an answer for me. The next day, I went into A&E because the pain got worse and they couldn’t give me an answer either. The doctor there suggested to take buscopan and anything that will help the bowel movements. As I’ve said, I have taken senokot and it does work, but not in the way that I want it to. 

Do you have any suggestions on what might be causing my stomach and abdomen to bloat excessively? 

Is it a case of having to be referred to a gastroenterologist? 

I’m honestly stuck. It’s come to a point where I really can’t enjoy things because of this! Any answers, advice and suggestions are welcomed. 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You should still get periods on the pill, do you have a week off after 21 days? What type of pill is it?
    • Posted

Can’t tell you the actual make but it’s got desogestrel in it. I take it once everyday at the same time and have been for around 2 and a half years? 
    • Posted

I have just looked it up it is the progesterone only pill, it is the combined pill you take for 21 days. I have pcos and I had very few periods when I was younger and I was told to go on the pill in order to regulate my periods because if you don’t shed your womb lining regularly, you are at more risk of female cancers. If your mini pill is stopping your periods you will put your health at risk. Have you had a smear test recently? 
    • Posted

Cerazette is known for completely stopping periods, that’s its job! A doctor wouldn’t put me on this pill if it was going to put my life at risk. It’s perfectly safe. I was one of the lucky ones to have a HPV vaccine back in high school to help prevent such cancers, but there’s always a risk. Also, I was planning to see a gynaecologist soon to see if everything down there is healthy and not contributing to my abdomen pain. Might be a good idea to check it out... 
  • Posted

It sounds very much like IBS if Buscopan helps you.  IBS doesn’t show on any scan. With IBS, pain killers and antispasmodics reduce the pain but don’t completely get rid of it in the way you would like. This is my experience with IBS.  Everyone gets different symptoms with it including bloating.  Try a food diary and take lots of fruit to help with constipation.

Ask to see a gastroenterologist to get an official diagnosis.

• Posted

Hmmm... had a feeling it could be IBS. I have booked to see a doctor to get a referral to a gastroenterologist so they can see what’s going on in my body!!!! 
  • Posted

IBS pain can also feel like period pain. Hormones affect it.  Try coming offf the pill.  The pill is not good for you. Leave your hormones to work naturally.
    • Posted

Unfortunately, I cannot come off the pill. My period pains are very painful and can leave me out of work for days... I may speak to a doctor if the pill has anything to do with the pain, though! If that’s the case, I’ll either come off it completely or seek another pill option. 
    • Posted

I was offered the pill for my periods too.  I took one look at the side effects and refused it. I take strong conventional painkillers instead which really work for me.  Buscopan is also used for period pain. The pill affects your hormones too which may nor be a good combination if you have IBS.  I would look for safter alternatives from your doctor.
  • Posted

I’d definitely ask for a GI referral! Also ask for stool sample testing. 
    • Posted

I’ve decided to see one! I will also ask for a stool test. Thank you for commenting! :-)
    • Posted

You’re very welcome! Please ask for stool culture, Ova & parasites & c diff stool testing 

• Posted

I’ve woken up with a swollen gland today... Could this be linked? 
    • Posted

If it is an infection it could be. Only can tell by seeing a dr. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.