I've been feeling dizzy, sick & feeling spaced out for over a week now anyone had the same?

Posted , 15 users are following.

I've had dizziness,sickness & feeling spaced out all the time which I find really scary, I've been like this for over a week now sad doctor says it sounds viral & suggest it might be labyrinthitis. Any one else been having the same symptoms?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi

i have the exact same feeling.my doc says that i have vertigo.

did you finally manage to overcome this problem???

• Posted

It's hard to know what to suspect without having a better idea what you mean by "dizziness" and "sickness."

Does the dizziness feel like you or the world around you is spinning? Does it feel like you or the world around you is moving when you know it's not? If so, then your dizziness may be vertigo.

Alternately, do you feel faint like you may pass out? Do you have a lightheaded, "floating" feeling? Do you get blurry vision or headaches? Do you get more sweaty than usual or notice your heartbeat getting faster or heavier? If so, your dizziness may be presyncope.

Vertigo and presyncope aren't mutually exclusive (you could have both), but knowing what kind of dizziness you have can help identify the cause. There are also some possible symptoms (nausea, for instance) that could be caused by either of the two.

As for your feeling sick, do you mean that you have nausea and feel like you might throw up? As I mentioned previously, this could be caused by vertigo or presyncope, though it seems more characteristic of vertigo.

You should probably know sooner rather than later that there are generally two types of dizziness, and what specialty of doctor is appropriate to see depends upon which you have. There is peripheral dizziness that's caused by some sort of problem with the balance organs in your inner ear (the vestibular system), the nerves that go from the inner ear to the brain, and so on. Typically these kinds of problems cause vertigo rather than presyncope, and they are what an ENT will know about and be able to help you with. Labyrinthitis is one example of such a condition.

In addition, there is also central dizziness that is caused by the brain and the rest of the central nervous system. These kinds of issues are more likely than peripheral ones to cause presyncope, but in some cases they may also cause vertigo. They are more likely to affect the rest of the body and cause symptoms that can't be easily attributed to the ears. In the case of this kind of dizziness, you would want to see a neurologist rather than an ENT, because ENTs generally only know about vestibular forms of dizziness.

I only have limited information about your symptoms, but some of the things you mentioned sound like they might be more indicative of a central cause of dizziness such as migraines (which are relatively common, especially in women) rather than something limited to your inner ear. The main one was when you mentioned "bad headaches which are at the sides and front of my head & also at the back of my head." Vestibular disorders can definitely cause things like a pressure or fullness in your ears, but I don't think they usually cause headaches, especially at the front or back of your head. I'm not an expert, though, so I could be wrong. Also, things like nausea, "spacing out all the time," or "finding it hard to cope with any loud noise" could be caused by a vestibular disorder but are also very typical for migraine sufferers. Migraines can cause quite a lot of symptoms and can sometimes be very different than people think they are, so it's just one of many possibilities to consider.

• Posted

Hi Anita, did you ever figure out what this was?? I have the EXACT symptoms, major headache that lasted days, feeling spacy for a week (it was like I had to really concentrate on the simplest tasks), dizziness, and nausea. Not sure if you found out it was vertigo or not. 
  • Posted

Anita, I came upon this discussion because I have been searching for years to find out what is wrong with me. I am 71 and had to go on disablity in1998. The symptoms I had in the beginning have evolved to include headaches almost daily, and a kind of dizziness I find hard to explain, ear pain, ringing in the ears, at least one recorded episode of  something I think they called postventricular tachycardia, aching legs, and so many other  symptoms. One diagnosis I have been given is Lyme disease with co-infections of Babesia, Bartonella, Cytomegalovirus, Rickettsia and autonomic nerve dysfunction. There is no way of knowing which symptoms are related to which other symptoms. The replies in this thread might help lead me to some answers. I am wondering whether you have found any. It is scary to not know what is happening in one's body. This forum gives the opportunity of finding answers or clues. I wish you the very best in your journey.

• Posted

Yup I’m goin through exactly the same now ... it’s been a week and I’m told it’s a viral infection 

What happened in your case? I’m goin back in a week if no improvement ... hope you are well out of the woods now!

• Posted

Hey. So I've been having the same experiences for years and I've finally been diagnosed properly. I was told I have a systematic fungal infection. I am so glad and relieved to finally know what's been wrong with me. I remember up to 3 years ago doing so many blood tests and getting diagnosed with conditions such as PID, depression, anxiety, bacterial vaginosis, stomach infections, STI's and STD's (which when tested came back negative) the whole works. It turns out that these fungal infections can give you all these symptoms and more. The dizziness, the lack of appetite, depression (when spread to your brain) the cravings, the unexplained infections (when spread to your other organs). When diagnosed just last week (April 2018)...after years of sickness and antibiotics that made me sick and left me with a weakened immune system I was given a dose of an anti-fungal medication called Sporasec. I can feel my old self coming back. I also got some xanax to help me with the insomnia and the anxiety that I've acquired over the years due to this, as well as some Melbulvin to help with lifting my spirits again. Misdiagnosis is real you guys. It's a real issue. I knew I was sick and irregardless of trying to tell the doctors to look deeper than just anaemia, or yeast and depression they ignored me and made temporary fixes which turned out to be worst than not trying to fix it at all because of the side effects.

• Posted

Hi Anita I know this is an old post but I’m feeling exactly the same as you were,did you get diagnosed with anything ? Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.