I've been given angina spray to treat my chest pain,but I'm terrified to use it for the first time.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been given angina spray but I installed can't bring myself to use it....im terrified of the stuff...I've heard about these headaches you get from it..I just don't know what im going to do....has anyone used this spray and what can I expect...please help I'm worrying myself sick over this...thanks from christina

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Christina,not everyone gets the headache but I fall into those that do.It is not too bad (my post lumbar puncture one was the headache from hell ).I was actually told in not so many words to "embrace "the headache as it shows that the spray is doing its job of dilating blood vessels.To be honest the pain does not last that long and is better than progression to a heart attack.
    • Posted

Thankyou so much for answering,I'm just terrified of medications full stop...I know I have to start using this spray,I guess I needed to hear from someone that actually uses it...even though my doctor has reassured me it's safe to use I still panic...see I also suffer panic attacks,so I worry about everything.... Is the headache instant and do you faint
    • Posted

Maybe a couple of minutes after use.Touch wood I have never fainted but if you are anxious and I always try to do this if possible use the spray while seated and if possible I sit quitly for ~5minutes before getting up (my philosophy is better safe than sorry)plus I do not want to feel an idiot if I fell over☺
    • Posted

Lol yes would be horrible to fall over...so is it just a normal headache? That goes with panadol..im sorry to be a pest but I'm just worked up about the side effects...and I hate headaches,like I'm sure we all do lol. I'm honest I'm soooooo terrified to take that first squirt
    • Posted

To be honest the headache does not last long so by the time any painkiller you took has been absorbed into the bloodstream the headache will probably have gone of its own accord.
    • Posted

For the first time user the headaches will be recurrent for around 2 - 5 days so by taking the Panadol will stop / reduce the headache side effect.
    • Posted

By that I mean how often the spray is used, not recurrent as in just out of the blue ...sorry for any confusion smile
    • Posted

Lol I thought you meant I'd have the headache for days .. Thank god you wrote it wrong lol
    • Posted

Lol...No...for each spray you have your headache will come back until your body gets use to it which generally is 2-5 days....some peoples headaches do last 1/2hr  to an hour.It dilates all the blood vessels and arteries in your whole body, that's how your headache comes about.....lol...extra blood flow to the head
  • Posted

Hi christina 68845,

The headache isn't all that bad really, we call it Panadol here, that will get rid of the head ache, it doesn't last that long anyrate. The only thing you have to watch is how fast it can lower your blood pressure..... I have built up a tolerence to the stuff, after 16 - 18 sprays my BP is still 160/90.

• Posted

You have to ask yourself a simple question.

Whats better a short headache or a long heartattack???

Its a no brainer isnt it?  Just try it! The headaches really arnt bad believe me.

Best wishes

DaveC

• Posted

Hi DaveC16,

If you're going to have a heart attack it's going to happen regardless of being on GTN or not, it's an angina treatment not a heart attack treatment. But you are right though headache isn't that bad compared to having a heart attack, been there ,experienced that as well.

• Posted

It works the same way for a heart attack as it does for Angina.

It HELPS.

Not perfect but its better than  nothing

• Posted

Not suppose to use it after a heart attack, not for a few days anyrate, I wasn't listening when the cardiologist was telling me why. All I remember is being given morphine for the pain and some kind of medication to bring the heart back into rythmn, then for 2-3 days clexane injections in the belly, and all I wanted to do is sleep when the event was over.....lol
    • Posted

Yes Dave your right. I find it hard because I have a stupid phobia when it comes to medication...but yes when I get the pain again I'll use it...thankyou for responding
    • Posted

Christina the headache is like a pressure more so than pain it last for the majority of people up to 10 minutes then goes to me it is better to have a headache for a few minutes than to have the angina cause heart damage so use it as soon as you feel the angina come on don't wait for it to be full blown as it will probably stop it getting any worse, I know what I prefer, like samuels I also have spasms from microvessels so we need to use it a lot.

• Posted

Hi Linda thanks for answering, I guess I did the stupid thing and googled this angina spray and got scared...im alone most of the time so I was scared to try the spray incase something happens and I can't get help...stupid I know,as my doctor has told me over and over again that this medication is very very safe...I worry about everything, that's just me....I know I'm going to have to use it as there's no way avoiding it....im just scared to the point I'm making myself sick....that's why I put this post up,asking first hand how I will feel once I've pushed that spray into my mouth
    • Posted

Hi Linda so I'm not going to completely freak out once I've taken the spray?? Like faint or anything bad my first time
    • Posted

you need to stay calm spray under tongue close mouth remain sitting. The first time I used it I wasn't scared just wasn't sure if I was using for right reason ie was the symptom the right one for using it but you will soon get used to using it and feel more confident when it is in your pocket wherever you go. I have one by the bed, downstairs and carry one with me always it's a part of getting dressed for me. When you are happy it isn't doing you any harm if needed you can do two sprays at a time. x 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply Linda. I stress about new medications. I'm terrified to use this as I've never used it before.so I have nothing to worry about? Being my first time,I'll be ok? I won't freak out once I've sprayed it?
    • Posted

I've been told about the terrible terrible headache racing heart,fainting. I guess this has terrified me
    • Posted

its all very rare you have to try it you probably won't get any side effects except the headache which as I said before will only last about 10 at most it really isn't that bad have you got any pain now christina

• Posted

are you on facebook 

• Posted

Linda there's a few Linda tenants don't know if I got the right one...
    • Posted

Christina I have sent you a private message with the link to my fb page I cant add a link here against the rules so it has to be by private message it will be in your emails

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.