I've been having chest pains for 6 months now. I'm 19 years old.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello there my name is Alex I am a female very slim weigh 124 height is 5'4 I am 19 years old and been suffering with chest pains left arm pain shortness of breath dizziness and heart palpitations for the past 6 months. I've seen many many drs hospital including cardiologist. I've have many cardio work ups. 4 heart echos 2 chest cts many many ekgs X-rays blood work holter monitors all within normal except my last ekg was a lil abnormal dr said nothing to worry about tho. Please help anyone 😕😕

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What do your heart palps feel like and how long do they last ?  When you get heart palps do you have chest pain & dizziness at the same time or just before or right after ?

I have had heart palps, that last a second or two, which are PVCs without pain or dizziness etc. My PVCs feels like a sudden strong flip fop.  Now, a few years later I have another type of heart palp occurring which feels like a quivering, lasts for about 10 seconds, and with pressure or a painful jab and sometimes takes my breath away like an elephant sat on my chest/lungs.  My pulse at that time is sort of quivering too & hard to count each beat because they sort of blend into eachother (hard to explain )  Dont know what that means yet and cannot find a connection to it and have not seen a doc for it yet. Maybe A-fib but I heard that most people that have that don't have palps or symptoms but not sure if I believe that yet.  I had a grandfather who died from massive heart attack at 39 yrs old. My sister found out she had mitral prolapse in her 30's after years of unexplained heart palps.  She suffered from a lot of anxiety and has had chronic thyroid nodules (connection?).  I am a little hyperthyroid so I don't know for sure how it could be contributing to my situation.  There are so many things that can cause heart palps and your heart may not be the actual cause or there may not be anything wrong structurally with your heart.  

Also, be aware of how you breath at different times & see if there is any connection there.

• Posted

My heart palpitations feel exactly like urs. They actually caught a crazy episode of it on an ekg tat lasted about 10 seconds the dr said it was svt that it wasn't a dangerous arrhythmia 😕🤔. I've had echos so I know my heart valves close properly. And the heart palps can either be before or after. The ones that really scare me r the strong ones that feel like a big thud and are breath taking i guess u can say. I developed severe anxiety within the time. Idk if it's really jus anxiety or if it could be my heart.. all my test so far have been normal.. as much as I try to brush off the heavy pressure chest pain I can't 😕

• Posted

Certainly sounds like AF, I've had AF for years, and the irregular beats may be Ectopics, it is scary, but you will get used to this, but if you have chest pain at all, best see the doctor....

• Posted

I think its complicated as the way I know it, that anxiety can either be the cause, or it just exacerbates a heart of medical condition ( but not be the root cause), or anxiety is rather an effect (or symptom). cause & effect.  It's like hyperthyroidism...it can cause feelings of general anxiety, but anxiety doesn't cause the hyperthyroidism.  Hypothyroidism can make you tired & depressed feeling, gain weight etc. But depression is not the cause of hypothyroidism.  But doctors will treat the depression and not check thyroid at first when they should.    I hope that makes sense

• Posted

Well I've never had any heart conditions before the anxiety.. and now that I do I have all these crazy symptoms including left chest pain and arm pain. 

• Posted

I have told my doctors but they think I'm just crazy now since all my past test have been normal 😕 They reassure me all the time that I not have any heart conditions and that I'm young healthy and fine.. they caught an episode once and dr said it was svt.. they caught it while doing my ekg 

• Posted

If it is something to worry about it will prob show up sooner or later in a test etc. Hopefully sooner than later.

This is a little off topic & dont want to worry you more,  this is an extreme isolated case,  but my son had problems for about a year. Off & on Vision problems, headaches, sleeping too much, starting having a hard time following simple directions, got confused easily, blank stares, grades all Fs now. We knew something was really wrong but doctor & psychologist & school staff wrapped it all up to being depressed, anxiety, and migraines, bad parenting and possibly drug abuse.  Things gradually escalated. Real bad headaches now, vision got worse, nausea & vomiting, loosing so much weight, his color looked off to us, and my instincts was he was dying, but they made me feel like I was going crazy or overly concerned all this time.  I asked that he get a referral for neurologist but they dismissed me and wanted to try psych meds first. My husband yelled at everyone & we demanded a CT- scan of his head thinking maybe he had a head injury falling off his bike at some point when he was into BMX - ing.  Well, we got an order for CT-scan.  They found a brain tumor in the middle of his brain with extreme hydrocephalus and was sent to a childrens hospital who were great & knew exactly what to do (finally) .  I am highly skeptical of doctors and do a lot of my own research and try to pay attention to your body but try not to jump to conclusions to quickly.

• Posted

Do u think from ur point of view it's something more than just anxiety and stress? 😕😕 Considering all my cardio test ? cuz at my age wat more testing can they really do. Not much I think 😕 I'm just scared that I'll have a fully blown heart attack at age 19 and leave my babies without a family I'm the only person they have 😕

• Posted

No, I don't think you'll have a heart attack because of a heart condition or heart failure but I'm not a doc but that's just my feeling based on my own experiences .

But I think you should keep a journal and pay attention to your whole body as there may be a connection. And   hormonal type of issues going on too. Keep track of caffeine, alchohol, cigarettes  as. tobacco can affect circulation 

• Posted

Don't drink or smoke or do drugs. But I do have a hitial hernia. Tats all they've been able to find so far ..

• Posted

hello alex sorry to hear about your symptoms in the age of you its very  very very very very rare to have a heart disease and as your all previous tests are clear so it will be your anxiety----clam your mind and also stop googling your symptoms other wise your anxity will touch 7th sky and you will be never recover of it-----------i understand i am suffering from chest heaviness and also a heart escape beat before which will become fine now-------i have done 18 ecgs in which one show i have heart pause----after that my cardiologist monitor my heart for 24 hours in which he didnot see any pause so he call that ecg a false ecg reading and as well i do echo which was clear but i always google symptoms and recently 2 week ago i have done Ct angiography------which is also clear-------you are 100% fine i gurantee-----Look some time a new car engine will become seeze and damaged-------like that our heart is some time healthy person heart will stop beating and die-----what God wants that will happen------we can not live one second more or one second less what God writes it will happened any time any where---so try to keep praying To God or Jesus --------some time people are healthy and they do accident and die-----------i don,t wanna make you scared you are so young don,t ruinned your life because of Dr Google-------i am 31 y male--------------------try to talk to your doctor about anxiety tablets which will help you like prozac or xzax,klonpin,or lexapro which i am using now---------------------just try to say it to your doctor if with combination of anxiety tablet it will help you much more----------propnolol + lexapro = is a miracle for me though i have anxiety now but not like before and after my ct angiography there is no reason of worry--------------------i will pray for you and for all those who are suffering from anxiety
  • Posted

Thanks alot honestly. I know I have really bad anxiety the symptoms are just so real 😕 My dr even promises me every time I see him that I'm fine that it's just really bad stress and anxiety.. I'm going to have a talk with him about the medicine.. thank u 💖

• Posted

Hi alex this is Haider its my 2nd id .... thats good to discuss with your doctor because i don't think so that with out medicine you can  handle ur anxiety but remember in anxiety tablet one week to 2 weeks u will find ur self getting tired or some other symptoms after some time u will feel fine so never give up and regular use ur medicine and never again search on google this forum is good but it trigger also anxiety so never use this forum any more to with google

• Posted

hi, it may have a different source but I have these symptoms with auto immune disease as do many fellow sufferers. If you have long running unexplained symptoms like this it is worth further investigation. AS it happens there is nothing wrong with my heart as such but the palpitations and chest pain were being caused by two different problems one was costochondritis where the connective tissue in the chest is inflamed. The other was pericarditis where the membrane around the heart was inflamed. Both conditions are treatable and not life threatening and do not mean I have, as it were, a heart problem but both nasty and uncomfortable. It is something to consider. 
    • Posted

Hello there.. well I know for a fact that I do not have pericarditis because I had a heart echo done last month.. but drs have mentioned costochrondritis before but have never received any treatment ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.