I'VE BEEN ON VENLAFAXINE FOR 17 DAYS AND FEEL WORSE

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on Venlafaxine for 17 days and I am not feeling any better.  I know the doctors say it taks a long time to take effect but surely there should be some good signs by now.  I feel worse.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks.

Pat

0 likes, 197 replies

197 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Pat, I hope you can get back on here. I've had trouble this morning. Kept coming up error all the time. How are you feeling this morning? Xx
    • Posted

Hi Kat.  I gave up last night trying to read the posts.  It wouldn't go to any of the main parts or it came up with error.

I have been getting worse each morning.   My friend (the one who eventually got over her depression) said I should go back to the GP as the 225 mg might be too much.  I have just phoned the Mental Health and they are coming to the house on the  15th July. I don't know we seem to spend our lives waiting for the next step but still feeling like s..t!!

How are you getting on with the 225 mg of Ven?

Pat xx

• Posted

Hi Pat, nice to hear from you. I couldn't get on here for ages this morning, just coming up error all the time.

I'm feeling rubbish! My husband keeps saying I should keep getting on with things even feeling as I do. Easy for him to say. I keep telling him that I've had a change in meds and I'm feeling no better. He's got a lot of patience with me though bless him. 

Have you heard about seeing a psychatrist yet. They would be the best people to sort out your medication.  I do agree that it's all a waiting game. And yes I feel like s**t as well.

• Posted

Hi Kat

You and I are definitely at the same stage.  My husband is great but like yours thinks I should try and do things.  You know they are both right it's just us can't face doing things,

I've got to wait until the team ?? pay me a visit in mid July.  I presume they then decide what is needed.

• Posted

That's a long time to wait isn't it. I spoke to the mental health team over the phone and it's then that they decided I should see a psychatrist.  When they said it could be a 6 week wait it was then that I went to see the private one. 

I'm trying to keep up to date with the housework but it's so hard sometimes. I just make sure that the washing is up to date. My husband plays golf and goes to the gym so I've always got loads of washing. The ironing is a bit hit and miss though. Xx

• Posted

We are so alike Kat.  I only keep up with the washing and myhuaband plays golf and goes to the gym

I was supposed to receive a phone call but didn't so I phoned them today and they said a letter had been sent gi ving me this appointment for July.  I keep hoping he Ven will kick in but every morning I seem to get worse.  Let me know when you feel you are getting better.

I went to the pool today  but didn't feel any better.  But at least my voice was ok.

• Posted

We have got a lot in common. This depression is the pits. I dread waking up in the mornings knowing that I'm going to feel the same! You normally feel ok at the pool, apart from the speech that's happened last week. It's good that you make the effort though. Xx
    • Posted

How's your appetite been? Mine is still poor although I'm making an effort. Still not interested in cooking though.
    • Posted

I dread the mornings too.  I dread the mornings that I am not going to the hospital or pool even more as I stay in bed even though I say I won't.  I make the efffort as I know I will stay in bed.

When I was on Ven for the 10 years about once a year I would come off it.  The I would have to go back on it but I knew that one day I would wake up and the horrible feeling would have gone.  But this timeit's gone on too long and I don't even expect to wake up pne feeling great.  My husband says that's my problem I('m too negative.  Are you not feeling any better or are you worse?

My appetite isn't that good though I do make an effort in the evening.

• Posted

This is the longest I've felt this bad! It's so bloody frustrating. I'm trying everything to feel better but nothing is happening yet. In the past I have just come out of the depression as suddenly as I went into it.

When you stay in bed in the mornings do you sleep? As soon as I'm awake that dreaded feeling hits! 

• Posted

No  don't sleep I just keep tossing and turning.  If I didn't have that awful feeling I'm sure I would  just jump out of bed.  Has the Ven not worked for you either this time?
    • Posted

I really don't know what to think if I'm feeling rubbish because the mirt has been taken down and the ven put up. But nothing seems to be helping at the moment. 

I do find laying in the bath relaxes me. Lately I've been having a bath in the morning and again in the evening just for some relaxation! 

• Posted

I'll have to try it as I only ever shower.  I thhink mybe the Ven is no good for me now.  I have felt terrible since taking it.  I got the feeling my GP doesn't know what to do now.  I can't wait to see the Mental Health Team.  This morning for two pins I would have stayed in bed and not gone to the hospital bbut I knew I'd be sorry.
    • Posted

Your stronger than you think if you can still go to help at the hospital. I hate this feeling.  Every morning is the same.  I dread the day ahead but I'll try and keep busy. 

It's a long time to wait isn't it for you to see someone. First you've got to be assessed then if they feel you need to see a psychatrist then it's another wait! 

• Posted

I'm OK if I have somewhere to go but can't motivate myself at home or in the garden.  When I am at the hospital I still feel awful but I have to g et on with the job unlike at home.  Funny I felt a bit better there today.  There is so much to do in the garden but I just can't motivate myself.  We've got a free weekend so I'm hoping I can make myself get on with the garden
    • Posted

Glad to hear you felt ok today. Hopefully you will feel some motivation to get something done at the weekend x
    • Posted

Hi Kat.  I'm really pleased with myself today.  It wasn't nice enough to go to the pool so I made myself go to Pilates at the gym.  I have been paying £51 a month but just couldn't bring myself to go.  Anyway I was glad I went.  All the girls I am friendly with were asking where I'd been.  They thought I had  been on another cruise as I was so brown.  I just said I had been at the outdoor pool so the tan proved that.   didn't want to say I had depression.  I still felt awful when I got up but I realise now that I have got to make myself do something rather lie in bed.  I hope I can do the garden at the weekend. 

How are you getting on?  Any change?  I see my GP next Monday so I might see what she says about dropping to 150 mg f Ven

• Posted

Well done! I have done some washing and ironing today. I'm still not great but trying to do things. Are you worried about coming down on ven or do you want to come down? Xx
    • Posted

That's great Kat.  I think this is the way we have to go.  Otherwise we will jus wallow in depression and get worse.   I don't know what to do about the Ven
    • Posted

Hi Kate  Well I am awful this morning.  I stayed in bed till 10.30. I was shivering and my teeth were chattering.  I meant to ask you if your teethchatter.  Anyway I decided I couldn't wait a month for the visit and then wait again to see their Psych.  so I phonede them up an they put me on to Stevenage,  The nurse rang me back and said she would get me an outpatient appoint with the  psych. at Lister Hospital.  I said I couldn't make next Wed. or Thurs as I was going out.  Talk about sods law she ccould have got me an appointment for next Thursday but she knew I was out.  I said I would try and cancel but she said that appointment had gone now.  I  could have cried.  I have got one for 3 July.  Still it's quicker than it would have been.  If I had known it was gng to be Thursday I could told my friend.  We are going to Lowestoft with John Lewis retirement group.
    • Posted

Pat,I don't feel any better at all. You did the right thing to get an earlier appt.  When you feel like we do you want something done straight away don't you. Shame about thursday. I imagine you wouldn't have minded cancelling your trip. My teeth dont chatter.  Do you get cold? I'm the other way around. I'm so hot all the time. I wake up sweating like anything! 
    • Posted

Yes I am hot all the time and my pillow is always wet!! But today I was cold and my teeth chatter mostly when I am lying down.   My GP looked quite concerned when I said that.  I go back to see her on Monday so I will see what she says about cutting back on them.  I can't wait to see a psych. as at least they are the experts.  Though having said that, don't you see one and it hasn't really helped you has it?  I really wish I had told my friend about the trip I'm sure she wouldn't have minded as she has other friends there.  Two weeks seems a long tome when you dreading every day.
    • Posted

My pillow is always wet! It's horrible. I don't think any doctor is helping me at the moment. I know exactly what you mean about the two weeks seeming a long time. You should have asked them to phone you if they had any cancellations.  You just need some answers don't you. Do you really want to come down on the ven? 
    • Posted

I'm not sure what to do about the Ven.  I have felt awful all day and my teeth kept chattering.  I was at my son's last night and had a couple of glasses of wine and a cider so I wonder if that could be the problem.  Do you ever drink Kat? When I was on the Ven. for 10 years I could drink what I liked  and it had no effect.  I know people on here said you couldn't drink if taking Mirt.
    • Posted

I don't drink much at all. i have drunk a little bit in the past while I've been on ven though. I definately haven't drunk while I'm on this concoction of on drugs. It could be the drink that has affected you. Smoking is my vice. My smoking had gone up so much. I've gone and got myself a electronic cigarette. Not the ones that look like a cigarette but the ones that use liquid in them. But i still am smoking normal cigarettes but not as much.
    • Posted

Hi Pat, how are you feeling today . Hope you feel well enough to do your garden. X
    • Posted

Hi Kat I'e just come back from the outdoor pool.  It was lovely down there but I'm not feeling great.  How about you?
    • Posted

Not a great day at all for me. Really anxious today. Don't know why. Just had a little nap but don't feel any better for it. X
    • Posted

My husband was saying he didn't think these forums were a good thing ..   I said they were great because you find out that you are not the only one for whom the drugs dont' work.  I feel you and I are having the same experiences.  I don't get anxiety so that's one less thing to worry about.   Are you now being treated by a psychiatrist?
    • Posted

Yes I do see a psychatrist. They altered my medication last time but nothing seems to be working.  Did you get out and do some gardening? 
    • Posted

I went to the pool and when I got back I couldn't be bothered.  Maybe tomorrow??  Have you ever had any luck with a psychatrist.  I've been desperate to see one but with your experience I am disappointed.  Are you o better either?
    • Posted

They will listen to what you have to say and can be reassuring. They do know more about the drugs than the gp does so keep that in mind. Would you like to change from ven? I wish I hadn't been put on two AD's. No better at all today. You still feeling bad?
    • Posted

I am feeling awful again.  I would just like to lie on the settee which I will do after dinner.  I don't think the Ven is doing any good.  I feel worse on the 225 mg.  Trouble is I don't know what else they can try.  I've been on the full dose of Mirt.  I took 75 Ven for 10 years and it was marvelous.  How do you feel about the 225?  I have been on 75 for 2 weeks then 2 weeks at 150 and 2 weeks on Monday at 225
    • Posted

I really don't know what to think about the drugs. Have you ever been on such a high dose? 225 was the dose I was on before this bout of depression but I take it differently now. I used to be on 75 + 37.5 morning and night. Now I take 150 in the morning and 75 at night. 

How is your appetite now? 

• Posted

When the 75 mg stopped working the doctor tried me on 150 twice but I was awful.  We  were on a cruise last October  and I had just been increased to 150.  I spent most days in bed but in thiose days I used to be completely back to normal at night so I had that to look forward to.  I have always felt great at night but since being on the higher dose I'm not  Were you OK on the high dose?  I take 150 in the morning and 75 at night.  That was what the GP recommended.  My appetite comes and goes but not back to normal.  I made my self eat a huge hotdog at the pool but I am not having any dinner.
    • Posted

I was ok on the higher dose for quite a while. God only knows why it stopped working. I can feel just a bit better some evenings but I suppose its nearer bedtime when you know you can just go to bed and forget everything. I have just started putting a bit of weight back on but sometimes I'm not hungry at all but make myself eat. Not really cooking either. Sounds like we're going through the same thing. I tried to cut down on the mirtz last night but I've felt terrible today so I don't think that was a good idea.
    • Posted

I don't know why it stopped with me either.  Each year I would come off it but usually in the winter the depression cam e back so I wwould just go back on it without any problems.  A friend of ours is a GP and he asked me why I kept coming off them ad pointed out hat we all take drugs for something.  Anyway I stayed on.  The GP and our friend said that they found that if an AD worked for a patient it would always work . The doctor tried me on several SSRIs when the Ven stopped working.  Eventually in desperation I asked to go back on Ven and it worked from April to Septembe rthen stopped again! 
    • Posted

It's such a mystery why ven stopped working for both of us. Can't quite believe how awful I've been feeling and it's lasting so long. it affects the rest of the family as well doesn't it. My poor husband and children, they are so understanding but they don't really know what we're going through. That's why talking to people who really understand helps. 
    • Posted

Just the same Kat.How about you?  I did go to the pool and had a swim but it didn't get rid of thee horrible feeling.  Is that what you have?
    • Posted

Yes I'm just the same but my anxiety has rocketed as well. I tried cutting the mirtz to half the night before last and yesterday was the same so I went back up last night.  Still got no appetite either which doesn't help. 
    • Posted

I'm really sorry to hear  your anxiety has rocketed.  I don't have that problem but feeling like this with depression is bad enough.  It seems that most people on here on not having any improvements and it really worries me.

I  met a nice lady in the CBT class and she had been bad for a long time.  Anyway they referred her to a psychiatrist at the hospital same one as me.  I did ring her and she said he had increased her Sertraline.  She didn't feel any better then so I must give her a ring and find out how she is doing

• Posted

Like us I think people come on here when they feel bad to find like minded people and get some answers if possible. Do you think you need a change in your tablets? The only thing with that is having to come off one and start getting the new one in your system. Although I didn't do that, they just added to mine!  Have you managed some gardening today? 
    • Posted

I agree.  For the ten years I was well I never even thhought of doing this.  No, again I couldn't feel like gardening.  I don't know what the doctor could prescribe.  She might also think that as I will be going to the hospital she will leave it to them
    • Posted

Its so frustrating that nothing is working. Do you manage to do the cooking when you haven't really got an appetite?  
    • Posted

I an cook at night as I an usually a litle at night it's the day that I can't eat.

I have just phoned he lady I met at CBT.  She too is feeling  awful.  The hospital increased her dose of Sertraline but it hasn't done any good,   She has been referred to something were they practise relaxation and medication.

• Posted

It seems so many people are suffering from depression. It's good in a way to know that we're not alone in feeling like this. I too have been referred to learn mindfulness at my local Mind. But I think I will have to feel a bit better in myself before I start it. When are you seeing your gp next? 

When you say you have a horrible feeling is it just the thought of doing things etc. I am always thinking how awful I feel. Everything is just negative nothing positive! 

• Posted

The horrible feeling is hard to describe.  I wake up with it.  It's like a heavy feeling in my stomach and really feeling down.  I am seeing the doctor tomorrow and I am going to ask her if I can go back to 150 mg though that didn't do any good either. 

As I said it worries that so many people ae having problems with the medication.  When I first started with depression 12 years ago I just took the Ven for about 10 days and that was that.

• Posted

Hi Kat.  I saw my GP this morning and told her I had an appointment with the hospital.   I asked her I could come down to 150 mg as I didn't feel Ven was doing any good.  She said that as I was seeing the psychiatrist next week it would be a good idea as she was sure they would take me off them.  I don't think it can be anything to do with only taking 1 x 75 instead of 2 x 75 this morning but I have felt a bit better today.  I did a lot of chatting to the girls in the office.  It was up and down. In that book about depression for the strong he says you get better by having small sessions of feeling better and they eventually get bigger and bigger.  We shall see!

I saw your other post about having agitation.  Have you always had that or is it a new development.  When do you go back to the psych.  Is he in a hospital?  I am really sorry Kat.

• Posted

I was thinking that taking the 150 in the morning is too much for me as well. I had a bad morning but picked up a bit this afternoon. I haven't had agitation like I've had this time. I don't see the psych at a hospital it's a small clinic. It will be intetesting to see how you get on with taking a smaller dose. Will you try another AD or try doing without? 
    • Posted

I don't think I can try doing without.  After all I had the depression that's why I am on the meds.  I am going to wait now until I go to the hospital and see what they have to say.
    • Posted

Have you only tried mirtz and ven? Its starting all over again that's the pain. You've tried a lot of others haven't you? 
    • Posted

My last message didn't make sense. I wrote the first question and then saw that you had written about being on other meds. Should've deleted the first question. Sorry about that
    • Posted

I never noticed.  I was on Mirt over Christmas until February just the 15 mg.  I thought it was fantastic.  It worked overnight so I didn't have  to wait for it to kick in.  But then it stopped working and the GP started me on 30 then 45 which was awful.  I've had Prozac, Citalapram and Sertraline.  I* haven't had Mirt and Ven together it seems a rather potent mix.  My friend's husband was on both but then he was so tired all the time the doctor said to drop the Mirt
    • Posted

I wonder what the psych will do. You might be ok on the lower dose of ven. But that didn't work for you did it. 
    • Posted

Off and on.  I went to the pool which helps.  I am on my second day of cutting down to 150.
    • Posted

I think so.  I get to sleep ok and sometimes wake every hour on the hour..But I wake up quite early and can't get to sleep again.  I'm still not eating properly I couldn't face anything tonight.
    • Posted

I'm still not eating properly. I have to make myself eat. Sometimes I've got a bit of an apetite then it goes again.  
    • Posted

Same with me.  I am just going out and I am out all day tomorrow but give me your up-to-date and I will get in touch tomorrow night.

Love Pat

• Posted

Have a good night out and hopefully you'll feel better tomorrow xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.