I'VE BEEN TAKING ZOPILCONE FOR 15 YEARS.

Posted , 47 users are following.

I'VE BEEN ON ZOPILCONE FOR 15 YEARS. I TRYED TO STOP TAKING THEM WITHOUT ANY MEDICAL HELP. THE SIDE EFFECTS ARE VERY BAD. I HAD FAST HEART RATE, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, SWEATS, THE JERKS AND BREATHING PROBLEMS. I WAS TAKING 5 TO 6, 7.5MG PER NIGHT IN THE END. I'M GETTING HELP TO COME OFF THEM. I AM MENT TO BE TAKING 3.75MG AT 3 ONE NIGHT THEN 2 THE NIGHT AFTER, AND SO ON. THE PROBLEM IS IS THAT I'M GIVEN 45 PILLS EVERY TWO WEEKS. THATS JUST LIKE GIVING AN HEROINE ADDICT HEROINE AND SAYING TAKE ONE LINE A NIGHT. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO STOP OR WHERE TO GET THE HELP I NEED. THIS STUFF IS SO UNDERESTIMATED BY GP'S AND THEY DON'T MONITOR YOU AND STOP YOU AFTER THE RECOMMENDED TIME STATED MY MANUFACTURES.r

6 likes, 90 replies

90 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

i was on zopiclone for over 5 yrs and ws addicted to it couldnt imagine my life without them. have now managed to come off them but there was no easy way. in the end i was taking 3 or 4 7.5 mg a night and was taking them earlier and earlier and couldn't wait to take them. i had to go cold turkey and feel more alive and aware in all areas of life whereas before i think i was in an odd sleep state even when i was awake good luck try and find a gp or counsellor you can talk to as many don't seem that educated in drugs such as zopicolne
    • Posted

Talking to a 'Counsellor' is just  sheer waste of time.  They just sit and listen, don't solve anything. and even get paid.!!!  WIsh that I had had a job like that. I had no choice, the Doctor just stopped them   
    • Posted

Once again I fully agree with a statement written here but for a different reason. I was sent to a Counsellor because I had just given up on life due to lack of sleep- sleep deprivation. The Counsellor and subsequent hypnotist and later attended " sleep clinic". I tried every non prescriptive remedy going and nothing worked. When finally after years of enduring a state of virtual 'none existence', I was finally prescribed Zopiclone and my life changed within a week. Some people need this drug to simply live and survive, others should never be prescribed it in the first place and then be forced to go through incapacitating withdrawal symptoms. Totally inadiquate and unwise medical care.

• Edited

After 15 months (some in hospital) on Zopiclone, and having reduced from 7.5 mg to 3.75 mg, I went my first night without one eight weeks ago. I lay awake all night. The following night I slept, woke up two or three times and slept again. I usually fall asleep OK but am still waking earlier in the morning than I would like and have black rings under my eyes. My consultant advised against stopping by switching to diazepam, said it's best just to reduce the quantity or frequency. Believe me, it's really great to be free of those pills at last but you need patience.
  • Edited

My entire world stopped yesterday. My wife wants a divorce and it all to do with Zopiclone. I take up to 35 tabs each day usually mixed with alcohol. I p*ss blood and am slowly killing myself. I am extremely bad tempered and my wife's has had enough.

To the the outside world everyone thinks I have it all. Two beutiful children, a loving wife good house good car well over average pay.

But it's all a shame. I can't get out of te house in the morning without taking the pills so I get up at least an hour before I need to to pace out the 8 pills I need to get out the door.

I suffer from the most dark depression and diabetes, OCD as well as the kidney problems caused by the Zopiclone.

I have now told my wife now and I just don't think she could take it in.

I phoned the Samaritans a couple of hours ago and woman on phone simply could not beleive that I ingest 35 tabs a day and that I am still alive and holding down a job/marriage/kids.

I had a horrible abusive childhood (not sexual) a very diifcult teenage and early 20's and now the woman that saved me has broken my heart.

I would seriously advise anyone with Mental Heath dissorders or Depression to stay away from Zopiclone

The worst thing is that tomorrow, I'll have to tell the rest of the world and I really don't know how. I'll lose my job for sure just to everything else.

I am gust a regular guy - this could easily happen to you please don't take it.

Print this out and show it to your Doctor to help you get off it.

You would not want to be where I am right now -it's a very dark scary and lonely place.

• Posted

Hi I know your post is a year ago I was wandering how you are doing.
    • Posted

Hi Sarah,

Hope you are well and thank you for asking.

I reached a rock bottom with zopiclone where it truly took me to the gates of hell. I was ready to walk out the door and be happily down by a bus. That was after taking 60 zopiclone over 2 days.

My husband intervened and took what was left and would only give me one a night. That was about 12 days worth.

I got to cocaine annoymous meetings and that was really helpful as you can talk about mind altering drugs there.

I'm pleased to say that after taking that 12 th pill that my husband gave me I haven't had another one since. That was February 2014.

It's not been easy and the craving has come and gone but I don't think about them as much any more.

Whether you pray and believe in God or not I do. I pray every day even now for a clean day.

My mum keeps them in her hand bag and some times I will hover around her bag like a little who wants candy. I held a packet in my hand but by the grace of God I didn't take any.

I just and still do keep it in the day. If I can get to bed without taking one I'm ok. By the way, thank God I sleep great today. Too well I thinksmile

How are you Sarah? What's your story xxxxxx

• Posted

Iam so glad to hear you're in a better place.that is alot of tables you were taking you must of being in a unreal sort of limbo.ive been taking 15 mg a day for about 3 years also mirtazapine. I take the zopiclone I'm the day to mellow me out.and mirtazapine to sleep.ive stopped going out and being social which has made me put on about 3 stone and I know it's taking away my personality iam gonna try and cut down to one then half I will let u know how it goes.you have done great kind wishes xxx
    • Posted

Keep on going, there is light at the end of the tunnel. It's bloody hard but you can do it. Speak soon xxxxx
    • Posted

35 A DAY?? Where did you get them from?  It couldn't happen to me, I'm not so stupid. My Doctor doesn't give a damn. Just stopped them and left me to sort myself out.    
    • Posted

Hi, I thought you said in your earlier post your wife was helping you, now you  say your husband is helping you??? Either way, good luck !
    • Edited

I have been on Zopiclone for about 18 years, at one point about 2 years ago I was drinking too excess every night and then taking a 7.5mg tablet, I reached a point of just existing, every day was like being in a zombie state, my liver and kidneys have suffered for the worst I fear, but over the last 9 months I have managed to reduce my drinking and started weaning myself of the pills, from 1/2 a night to a 1/4 and now I am finally free of them, the last 1/4 tablet was taken early May this year, it hasn't been easy, the withdrawals where very unpleasant, nasty twitching, mood swings, insomnia, palpitations and all sorts, but it is possible, I can say now I feel better than I have in years, although I'm not sure of the long term damage I have done to myself but I will have too deal with that when it rears its head.

You too can get this monkey of your back, I have the least self discipline and control than anyone I know, I'm sure you can do it, just one small step at a time.

I hope it works out for you

David

• Posted

I came on here because I have just been given 5 Zopiclone and am amazed at how many others are given. My gp said that she is only allowed to give me 6 per month at the most.

I am now wondering seriously if I should take even one of them.

Stephen I am in tears over what you are going through - your gp needs to know about this and ween you off the amount you are taking.

Please see your doctor and get the help you need to keep your family intact and keep yourself alive.

• Posted

Hi Irenee

Don't worry about taking the zopiclone. Your doctor is obviously very sensible.

My GP provides me with 7 zopiclone every couple of months. I can't have them on repeat though - I have to go in and see him personally for the prescription.

I have been taking zopiclone on and off since about March last year. I don't have any side effects from not taking them (other than struggling to get to and stay asleep) but that is why I have them anyway :roll:

Your GP obviously thinks you would benefit from a few nights sleep so gofor it and enjoy the rest.

Sometimes it only takes a few nights of help in getting to sleep to get your body back into the habit of sleeping at night.

I'd suggest you take the tablet at the same time every night (just before you go to bed)

Also try and get into the habit of going to sleep at the same time every night and getting up at the same time every morning. (not too late)

It is good to read of other peoples experiences on here and it helps us to learn how dangerous and destroying such tablets can be.

You are now aware of how addictive zopiclone is, so I doubt very much you will go down that road.

You need to be taking zopiclone for a few weeks every night before addiction would set in. Try taking one a week, when you have reached the point that you know you really need a good nights sleep.

Melbi x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.