I'VE BEEN TAKING ZOPILCONE FOR 15 YEARS.

Posted , 47 users are following.

I'VE BEEN ON ZOPILCONE FOR 15 YEARS. I TRYED TO STOP TAKING THEM WITHOUT ANY MEDICAL HELP. THE SIDE EFFECTS ARE VERY BAD. I HAD FAST HEART RATE, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, SWEATS, THE JERKS AND BREATHING PROBLEMS. I WAS TAKING 5 TO 6, 7.5MG PER NIGHT IN THE END. I'M GETTING HELP TO COME OFF THEM. I AM MENT TO BE TAKING 3.75MG AT 3 ONE NIGHT THEN 2 THE NIGHT AFTER, AND SO ON. THE PROBLEM IS IS THAT I'M GIVEN 45 PILLS EVERY TWO WEEKS. THATS JUST LIKE GIVING AN HEROINE ADDICT HEROINE AND SAYING TAKE ONE LINE A NIGHT. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO STOP OR WHERE TO GET THE HELP I NEED. THIS STUFF IS SO UNDERESTIMATED BY GP'S AND THEY DON'T MONITOR YOU AND STOP YOU AFTER THE RECOMMENDED TIME STATED MY MANUFACTURES.r

6 likes, 90 replies

90 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

im replying to steve i read your s and cryed i have being taken them for 17 yrs i buy of net get of doctor my life revolves around them . they mess with your head my husband left me the most ive taken in one day is 30 but the most i take now is 7

i have had bad life too lost leg daughter died husband left me dad died cancer i feel zoplicone are the only thing i have left please if you need to talk email me

• Posted

Hello Lesley are you still taking the zopiclone if so where are you getting them from my doc has just stopped mine and just left me to deal with it
  • Edited

After 15 months (some in hospital) on Zopiclone, and having reduced from 7.5 mg to 3.75 mg, I went my first night without one three months ago. I lay awake all night. The following night I slept, woke up two or three times and slept again.

I usually fall asleep OK but am still waking earlier in the morning than I would like but I have quite a few issues on my plate at the moment and find this acceptable as I am gradually sleeping longer and longer.

My consultant advised against stopping by switching to diazepam, said it's best just to reduce the quantity or frequency. Believe me, it's really great to be free of those pills at last and I had no cold sweats, no hallucinations.

Believe me, you too can kick the habit.

• Posted

[color=orange:720d7d24d6]I HAVE TAKEN JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING FOR MY INSOMNIA OVER THE PAST 18 YEARS

THE BEST WAS NITRAZAPAM BUT UNFORTUNATELY MY GP ONLY WOULD GIVE ME 3 WEEKS SUPPY OF IT.

SO FAR I HAVE MANAGED TO STAY ON THE 7.5MG (MORE THROUGH FEAR) BUT IT DOESNT PUT ME TO SLEEP JUST RELAXES ME.

I AM TERRIFIED TO TAKE ANY MORE WITH MY OTHER MEDS BUT WOULD KILL FOR A GREAT NIGHTS SLEEP.

WHAT HAVE OTHERS FELT LIKE THE NEXT DAY AFTER TAKING MORE THAN THE 7.5MG?

I HAVE A FAIR DRIVE TO WORK IN THE MORN AND NEED MY WITS ABOUT ME FOR DRIVING. LAST THING I NEED TO TO LOSE CONCENTRATION AND WRAP MYSELF AROUND A TREE.

SO HOW BAD IS IT? :?[/color:720d7d24d6]

• Posted

I had been taking 2 x 7.5mg for years without  any problem.  Then my Gp called me in and told me to stop taking them.   Never seen him since. Once I walked out of that door I was 'on my own'.  
  • Posted

Stephen's story is really upsetting. Can I plead with you to get help? No matter what means by which you are getting your zopiclone, I can't believe any caring doctor out there worth their salt would turn you away... this is ruining your life! Taking that many z's a day plus alchohol is really bad news. And you recognise yourself what it's doing to your family let alone your body.

There may be somewhere you can go to do some kind of detox programme?

Wishing you all the best, take it a step at a time I believe you can get there if you want it badly enough

star x

• Posted

well wow some of these stories are harsh and just wow, i am recovering crack addict (been battling it for 3-5 years now) and they gave me zopiclone 7.5mg to sleep at night, cause i couldnt sleep after i was clean for some reason...lol but anyways i have only taken 2 of the tablets one night cause i couldnt sleep, now i am on depression meds for about 5 months now wellbutrin and trazidone to help with the depression and sleeping , anyways so i am taking 100mg of trazadone and one zopiclone at night and have been for the last 5 months or so, but recently i have been feeling i think hung over or i am still detoxing or something or i am in withdrawls from the zopiclone or something as i havent been feeling right lately, and i know it has to be something i am taking, i get the twitches once in a while and not sure what thats from and i am smoking pot once in a while too when i get really bad crack cravings and it helps me relax and sleep better too and i get really ripped off it but i am scared to take more then 7.5mg of zopiclone, you would think i would being an addict right and i am worried about drinking while on all these meds so i havent drank in prob 2 years just not into it i am \"retired\" now . in reality i have been off and on zopiclone for 3-4 years and i know its addictive properties but it honestly does make me sleep thru the night in 20 mins of taking trazidone and the zopiclone i am out cold and if i fight it i blackout and do shit i dont remeber before i pass out lol so as a joke now i just tell people t-minus 20 mins and they know what i am talking about, anyways i would like to ween myself off them eventually and am thinking on trying half a tab at night and see what thats like but i dont wanna fuck up my sleep patern now so just confused, maybe i should cut down on the trazadone, not really sure , any ideas or advice? i have quit the zopiclone in the past sorta ok with minimul side affects i just have too much going on in my life right now to mess up the rythem would put me back a few weeks and cant deal with that right now
  • Posted

Just about (today) gonna take my first zopicone .....i am a bit f****d up cos my son died 6 months ago........i cannot sleep .....well i can , but stupid times of day !

Thats why i have been perscribed i suppose , im also on anti depressants , so i guess im screwed !

• Posted

I've taken zoplicone 7.5mg on and off to help sleep as it relaxes me . I am also on mess for high BP, so to be able to relax is a big thing for me. I usually don't take more than 1 but somehow 3 nights ago I took 1 more (with a very cloudy head, while taking the 2nd). I was more stressed than usual n after 1 could not get to sleep still . The past few days were a blur, I had a fair bit of memory loss . I could not figure out why I was feeling poorly as it never crossed my mind it was the zoplicone until I researched today. I thought my BP is high again and I hv to see my doc again , with high anxiety, stress , breathing problems and nausea + dizziness. I am now pretty certain I had accidentally overdosed myself with 2x7.5mg. It's been 3 days and its still not out of my system.
  • Posted

I have the same problem with zopiclone 7.5mg , I have took them for some years sometimes 3 a day to get some sleep and when i try to stop i feel ill with rising pulse rate and low blood pressure.I tried to replace it with alcohol but that just makes matters worse.Then i end up with high blood pressure and another addiction i can do without.All the Doctor says is try to reduce over time, but its very difficult.Managed to kick the alcohol, Also have tried using diazapam 10mg as a substitute to try to break cycle ,but this has to be used with caution as you end up hooked on that. i wish i could be more helpfull,but why ,why is the drug over prescribed in the first place.Slowly stopping the drug is the only answer but its not easy.I was originally put on the drug as i have bi polar disorder and used to stay awake for up to three days at a time.

• Edited

Hi all and sorry to hear about your run in's with zopiclone. It is devious, patient and progressive.

I started taking it from the age of 16, I'm now 40. It's got worse through the years I'm in aa and have been sober for 7 years. Only thing is I substituted alcohol for zopliclone.

1 is never enough and 28 just about does the trick. I'm on a detox programme. They gave me 7 and i took them all. I was only meant to have one a night. I can't just take 1. When I,m not taking them, I'm thinking about them. My doctors don't understand addiction and the power it has over you.

It was easier giving up alcohol as I had a whole network of people surrounding me that I could identify with the obsession went. Unfortunately there are no groups for us. Which I think would really help.

I've been to aa, na dra, daa, treatment centres, pychatritst and cbt and a mental hospital but everyone is powerless over this including me.

I have good intentions to stop but they don't last.

I just don't see a way out. I need to meet up with groups that I can identify with for support but I can't leave my 2 year old girl and go to rehab. Evenings would be great.

Anyone want to start a group?

With fellowship love xxx

• Posted

Your story is EXACTLY the same as mine and there is NO HELP for zopiclone addiction as there is with alcohol or even heroin.  My story started nearly 20 years ago when I had a serious stalker problem who would strike at night and I was too scared to go to sleep and then I couldn't. I was put on zopiclone which helped and then I needed more and the GP can only give me 2 a night and I now have to order more from the internet which I cannot afford. I will happily help start a support group for this terribly addictive drug. I tried to give it up but ended up in hospital.
    • Posted

Don't give up though.  I have been on zoplicone 7.5 for over 7 years and at one point was taking 7 at one night   only take them at nite.  now to two and half and last week tried just 2 then 1 and after couple nites was sleeping not bad   going to try going cold turkeyl
    • Edited

Hi Vanessa,

Not sure how this website works, as I've replied to someone but not sure if you can read it too.

I relied on zopiclone for everything in the end. To do tasks around the house, to speak to people, to calm me down and of course help me sleep.

It was like it took by soul away and I seriously wanted to die. After the point of taking 60 over 2 days it was either die or do something, how sad I was despite having a beautiful young daughter.

I prayed like mad and got to a cocaine annoymous meeting. My husband gave me one a night for 12 nights. I kept talking to people i trusted so I didn't isolate and I kept it in the day. Meaning I couldn't tell myself I was going to give up forever.

Today I haven't had a zopiclone since February 2014. It's been hard and I've held them in my hands at one point but prayed and didn't take one.

My experience was that no one in the medical profession could of helped me, being open with people and asking God for a clean and sober day has kept me away from them this long.

I still get low but at least I'm not a zombie anymore.

Please write back, you don't have to be on your own with this.

Your on the starting block as you realise there's a problem. It's not an easy journey but if I can do it you can too.

Please rely xxxx

• Posted

Hi Brenda iam on 2 7.5mg a day I take one at lunch time and other late afternoon they help me relax.am going to only have 1 tomorrow and see how I go x
    • Posted

A lot of people seem to be taking zopiclone in the day - I've read it completely wipes out your memories if you take it and stay awake. Do you sleep in the day or does it just not effect you like that anymore? Does it affect your memory?
    • Posted

Hi I take it in the day it just mellows me out a bit .It doesn't make me sleep .But it definitely plays with my short term memory in some ways .sometimes I can't remember what I've done in the week alot has to do with me not going out much no more.i would avoid in the day I would love not to take in the day x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.