I've been very bad.......

Posted , 9 users are following.

Oh no, I have awoken in the night.  I had two satsumas yesterday and am now burning like crazy.  I find that taking anti histamine and pain killers helps a tiny bit.  I am scaared now as have art fair Thursday till Sunday and must be well.  How stupid I am!   Just when I have stuck to my low sugar, gluten and wheat free diet, I do a stupid thing.  Why dont I have stronger resolve to stop eating things bad for me!!!!  This is worse than anything.  Life is so hard now.  I am finding it hard to resist bad stuff for me.  

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Could anyone advise how long they take to come out of a 'flare'?  I think I normally take up to a week!!!!
  • Posted

You may be craving sugar. And the thing I am learning from being frutose intolerant is that glucose seems to be ok for me. So if I'm feeling awful headache craving sugar I have a small amount of glucose, and I seem to tolerate that and I feel much better in myself. Unfortunately for you it sounds like you have a busy time ahead so can't experiment. But I would suggest in the future you have a fructose intolerant breath test and it may give you a few more answers. Xxx
    • Posted

where can I get the fructose intolerant breath test from?  Are you in the UK?
    • Posted

I'm from the uk but I live in Dubai at the moment. But I'm sure they do the breath tests in the uk as I've been on the nhs website about fructose malabsorption. I think 1st port of call would be gp. I was diagnosed by a gastrologist as I was getting bad tummy issues too. Have a look at nhs website under fructose malabsorption xx
  • Posted

Hello powerwoman, l have issues like you , l have found through years of trial and error that diet is most important to getting a grip on this awful thing. I dont eat wheat, tomatoes, anything spicy or hot, onions, you can eat shallots if you crave onions ( l do ! ) no sugar , no oven baked chips , its about the way they are processed thats the problem , no processed meat , no reheated food . The only fruit l eat are pears , apples but only pink lady apples , although l found that the apple did not work for me . You can eat any root vegatable ( except onions ) .lt is very restrictive and hard to keep up with but , it keeps the pain away and the added bonus of losing weight is good . No alcohol thats completely out. Drink lots of water thats most important . Last but not least try not to stress out about things ( this is my worst problem l think l was born worrying !

Have your water tested you could have bladder issues, this diet helps the bladder as well . Dont be tempted to drink cranberry juice this has now been proven to be useless in fact it makes the problem worse . I nearly forgot you can eat blue berries .

I felt like you do now l thought l was in hell ., but there is light at the end of the tunnel it just takes a while to get there . I turned to this forum and it was the best thing l have ever done , such support , ideas to combat LS and most important of all to know your not alone and have others that you can talk to about this.

I hope you feel better soon , take care x

• Posted

Hi Winifred

Thank you for your heart warming email.

This is the hardest thing I have had to do and it is very scary in case I do the wrong thing!

I think I am ok with oven chips.  But sugar, wheat and gluton are definitely a no no for me!  That of course includes fruit.  I haven't experimented with blue berries.  I might give those a try.

Thanks fo ryour email. 

Jan

x

• Posted

I found one slice of a frozen strawberry eases my sugar craving. I buy fresh, slice and freeze them. I would rather chop into many other things but just the thought of a flare stops it.
    • Posted

Hello Barbara, you sound like your on the right track , l have read though that strawberries are the number 1 no no ! I adore ! strawberries so have found it haed not to eat them , especially when everybody is eating them around me . I eat pears now they have a lovely sweet taste l never used to eat them but l love them now .

Its not easy is it ? but l think its worth it , its better than the pain.

Last christmas was my 1st pain free christmas for years , done by diet and finally getting the right diaognoises ( l probably spelt that wrong ! )

Learning to manage LS is the thing to try and do , l spent too long trying to find a cure , which just stressed me out and the stress made things ten times worse . Best wishes x

• Posted

Hello powerwomen, your very welcome, good luck with your art fair . Its interesting to note that it has been mentioned on here many times that a lot women with LS are artistic. Best wishes x

• Posted

Eventually you'll learn.  At first the hard way.  At least now you know that sugar is not your friend anymore, nor is alcohol.  

When you can resist the 'bad for you stuff' you may do better in a week or so.  Wishing you the strength to practish self control.  Good luck.

• Posted

Not only have I LS and LP, they now think I have Celiac disease!  I have to be tested for this.  I could never imagine me going down the FREE FROM isles in Tesco's looking for food I can eat.  I bought some basic caserole stuff, sirloin steak and vegetables and herbs which I will caserole for a few meals while doing art show.  I cant cook while doing this as get home very late and exhausted.  I bought some place to cook too, so I am doing my best to be strong.
    • Posted

Especially when you first start this 'avoiding of foods'  it won't be easy.  When away from home I find it's the hardest.  I've learned to bring a small cooler with me with items I can safely eat.  I've also gone hungry and be totally frustrated.  It takes time and patience and determination and all that.  It's a big change.
    • Posted

Jan

I can't eat any sugar either and that even includes honey, but one thing that is excluded from the fructose list of don't eats is maple syrup. Have no idea why but I have it once a week for breakfast. That's real maple syrup, from the tree, usually from Canada. 

My one "normal " treat meal of the week. I make French toast with gluten free bread in egg, and banana rolled in egg and cornmeal and fry them up in extra virgin oil, add bacon and a swish of maple syrup over the top!!

In winter I am making soups soups and more soups as I do every winter but they will be mainly kumera, broccoli, squash and carrot based. Cooked in water only. Blitzed in blender. Crumbled goat feta on top. No additives, no spices, no tomato purée, they are bad for us LP people. You can have the green tops of shallots if you are nuts about onion but avoid the white part.

I have been on my diet for six months now and it's hard not to take a bite of this and that! I have a fig tree and they are all ripe now. It's torture. 

I really hope you don't have celiacs Jan. Fingers crossed you get to grips with your recovery soon.

good luck with your art show.

x

• Posted

Most interesting Lynne.  I have two beautiful bottles of Canadian Maple Syrup in the cupboard and was wondering what to do.  They were a gift.  

Something worth trying for sure, perhaps some Maple Syrup on some toasted gluten free bread would be a nice treat.  

• Posted

Hanny, I should stress that it's OK on the FODMAPS diet, which I have followed religiously for over a year that maple syrup is deemed not to cause problems with IBS as opposed to honey. But since I have been diagnosed and suffering with LS it may be just a happy accident that I seem not to be affected by the maple syrup!

I do only have it once or twice a week so I am not going overboard. It's the only sweet thing I have bar bananas and the odd pear or apricot.

Do be careful Hanny. I Should have been more careful what I wrote. 

I follow two strict regimens, one for my IBS and one for my LP.

Sometimes they run alongside one another happily as they are both very mindful and healthy eating plans, but occasionally I get mixed up.

• Posted

Lynne

Your recipies sound delicious.  I guess I will be trying some.  I was making a casserole with onions today but now not sure if I should leave the onions out.  Are these a definite no no for LS and LP????

• Posted

Thanks for the warning lynne.

Powerwoman, as for onions - they are okay in my diet.  Try and find out, I would say.  

• Posted

Jan I don't really know about onions for LP or LS to be honest. But for Celiacs and IBS they are the first food to cut out. 

The Fodmaps diet can be downloaded as an Apple app for a small price, about $4 maybe. It's really worth it if you have gut problems. 

Except for sugar, which pretty well everyone agrees is a monster for Lichen, we all have to kind of work it out for ourselves I guess. 

know caffeine is not good and burns me down below, but sometimes I can get away with it. So then next time I push it and have two over 24 hours and then it's DAMN! I so miss coffee and I only ever had one or maybe two a day, we have our own little cappuccino maker and it sits there taunting me. 😩

I don't have nightshades, that's potatoes tomatoes peppers, peanuts, aubergines. They cause a flare up too and also give me blisters and hard lumps inside my mouth. I don't miss any of them luckily, I was never a fan of the nightshade family. Sweet potatoes are fine and I use them all the time, for chips and soups and roasted with chicken. 

You'll work it out Jan, I do feel for you. The first few months are a whirl of pain and confusion and you feel so alone. Everyone on this marvellous site was here for me (and boy! did I do a lot of moaning!) and we'll be here for you. 

On a happy note (for me) tonight I went to a concert to see SoloMio, a trio of Samoan men who sing beautiful opera type music. We were given the tickets but the point is that it's the first time I have been out at night to anything resembling a social occassion for about eight months because I haven't been able to sit down!  Well, I did tonight for over two hours and it was brilliant! My husband was so pleased to see me happy and laughing. Life can be good again.  

Best to you Jan X 

• Posted

Lynne

You really are a lovely lady. x

I am all set for my art show tomorrow.

I will cook the casserole and only a small amount of onion.  I am sure I am ok with this, but can't take huge chances for the next 4 days.

I will leave out coffee in situ, and buy herbal tea instead.

Still, at least I can have my lovely treat of eggs and bacon for breakfast after I have set up!!

So glad you had a lovely time at the concert.  I will work this out, just takes some time, dedication and learning what works for me and what is poison to my body!

Regards.

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.