I've fallen off the wagon and I can't seem to get back on

Posted , 6 users are following.

Last week I posted that I need to detox before I made a huge move to Washington. I haven't been able to get back on the wagon. I'm terrified. Have to start my new job tomorrow and work 8 hours and I had about 20 units yesterday. I don't know what to do. Please if anyone has any advice would be much appreciated. I know I keep repeating myself and my wife is about to leave me because I can't seem to get a handle on it. I have to try the Sinclair method or something like that. I told her I think it's the only way that I'll be able to function.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

The Sinclair Method might well be a good move for you, I think I sent you a link to some doctors in Washington that know it well. Let me know if you need that link again. 

You have to start your new job on the 4th? Ow!

• Posted

Please rsend me the link. I have been so lost the last couple of days.
    • Posted

Thank you sooo much for replying. My wife is at her mom's and I'm just sipping champagne to get over the shakes.

• Posted

giving up is a big thing and it takes time and application of will.  I hope you make it up there.
  • Posted

I am so sorry you are struggling...God Bless you on this new job and getting thru this week.  It will be tough..but possibly easier if you are working vs. staying home all day.

If you have a benzo you can take that will help you with shaking etc...during the first few days of work.

If you don't have a benzo...get some Gatorade...or a Sports drink to stay hydrated...very important...to your blood pressure too.....

I'm sorry your wife is putting pressure on you...usually that doesn't help.

I know what it is like to be frightened....and unable to stop...its a very lonely feeling.

I want you to know you are thought of and not alone.

• Posted

Hi, I am quite new on this forum but not the site.  I hate what we are with a vengence.  I drink every single day and have done for over 30 years.  My husband can have one pint of lager and that is it - I am a bottle of wine, sometimes a bottle and a half.  I have even stopped driving my lovely car due to it.  I drink from 6pm to 9pm but know I will be over the limit the next day, certainly until after lunch.  Each morning I am fulll of shame and say tonight is the night I will start cutting down slowly to wean slowly off.  But I start with good intentions and the lovely warm feeling of that first glass of red just takes over.  I don't get drunk and always cook dinner from scratch. Then go to bed calm and at peace.  But in the morning I am soo angry. I don't particularly have hangovers.  I so hate being this way but thank goodness to be able to talk to others.  My husband just can't understand why I can't go without for a night.  If I did, I would be ill.

I so hope your wife can stick by you - you don't need that worry as well.  It is hard for someone who does not have an alcohol addiction to understand, but it is truly horrible and I wish I hated the stuff.

Keep posting, it helps to be a family.

Hugs to you - Gwen

• Posted

Gwen , what have you tried in terms of getting the alch under control? Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) can be a huge help if the traditional methods haven't gotten you to where you want to be. The traditional "strict abstinence" approach fails 9 out of 10 people. 

Your husband likely can't understand because he's been fed a false narrative about what powers Alcohol Use Disorder for most people. 

Have a look at a topic I started on this:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/abstinence-vs-medication-assisted-treatment-for-aud-514927

• Posted

Hi ADE - only cutting down myself - which I can do Monday to Thursday to  2 small glasses of wine  (but no sleep) and then Fri/SAT/Sun my usual.  But nothing else except telling my doc.  Thank you for this topic, I am going to read it now.

Much appreciated.

Gwen

• Posted

You're quite welcome, Gwen. Please let me know if you have any questions. Hopefully your doc can help you with getting some good sleep! Keep us up on how things are going for you when you get a chance, maybe even start your own topic if you'd like. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.