I've finally done it

Posted , 14 users are following.

After being on zopiclone for five years I found it was starting to keep me awake and if I didn't take them I felt so I'll,so either way I was so tired it was starting to take a toll on my mental health ,anxiety,panic attacks it was awful .I knew things couldn't get much worse so I just stopped ,I didn't hardly sleep for two weeks and when I did the nightmares were something else ,I had the sweats and vomited and felt like hell .then after two weeks things got better within three weeks I was sleeping like a baby having normal dreams for the first time in years I looked forward to bedtime.I'm a happier nicer person and I feel great .I was very lucky because during this time I didn't work as I'm home with a broken leg I'm not sure I could have done this and go to work.so I just wanted people to no this can be done its hard but do able good luck to everyone I'm happy to chat to anyone who could do with some support x

7 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dear mary 70540

I really need your help on how to withraw zopiclone please help me.

• Posted

Hi Mary

your original post and responses have given me such hope. I have decided to go cold turkey and have been reading all about potential withdrawal symptoms for the past 5 hours, with increasing terror. I know I can't taper off, tried and failed several times. I always end up 'borrowing' from tomorrows dose. All good intentions go out of the windows. I was first prescribed zop drops over 10 years ago and quickly became habituated. Not a problem for the 1st 7 years, used as prescribed. My GP tried on a number of occasions to give them up and I fast became an ace manipulator. Finally he was firm and handed me a 3 month taper programme. Then I discovered the ease of purchasing online. years ago I was diagnosed with a chronic autoimmune disease

• Posted

Oops, sent half a reply (I'm new to this). Anyways, being ill and in pain, I justified my increasing dependence on these pills. The past 6 months it'sgot worse and worse. My eemployment was terminated due too ill health so I've been increasingly sorry for myself and using the pills to relieve anxiety and depression not realising the pills were responsible. I got caught up in a downward cycle and it was getting worse faster. My husband went crazy when he found out I was buying online, read me the riot act more than once. I had a growing rrealisation of what was happening, memory shot to pieces, black outs, mood swings, anxiety. I am addicted. Since December, I've averaging 5 a day. 2 at 6pm followed by 3 at bedtime. Or any time 7 I had to deal with a problem (and I had a lot of problems!! Such as running out of milk). It all blew up yesterday when my husband opened the door to the postie and received my 'special parcel'. So I must stop now, no excuses. I'm scared stiff, that's why I have been trawling the IInternet and getting more wound up worrying about withdrawals and why your post has given me such hope and I thank you. I know I'm going to lose my mind if I keep taking these pills. I've had enough, I'm throwing the towel ing

• Posted

Sorry Sheila I've tried to message u but for some reason I can't .I will try again in a while
  • Posted

Hi Mary, I've reached day 5, feel lousy, flu like symptoms aching all over. 1st 2 days i went 40 hrs without sleep. Days 3 and 4 I have not slept til after 4am but on the plus side i managed 4 hrs proper sleep. Last night I dreamt that I found a pill and cut it into 4!!! That's a sad addiction - dreaming about the rotten things. As I said in another post, I couldn't taper, I had to get the pills out of the house. But tthats just me, all or nothing. I would have used any excuse to increase my taper dose. I don't know why I couldn't receive your msg but I would appreciate any advice you could give
  • Posted

Forgot to say I've got nausea and sweats, awful but they will pass. Also for the first 2 days my brain felt like it was shaking inside my skull. I'm very lethargic, is this part of withdrawal? Gosh, I'm so glad I found this forum otherwise I couldn't do this. During the last few m

onths (coincides with finishing work due to ill health) my usage went up dramatically. I've been thinking I was a weak person, a big sense of failure. I'm realising how addictive zopiclone is and how harmful it is

• Posted

You must be so proud of yourself well done I defiantly think things will ease up now and each night will get easier just hang in there the rewards are brilliant well done x

• Posted

Also in no way are you weak look what you have achieved ,we all have weak moments .I'm rooting for you Sheila !

• Posted

Hi Mary my name is Carmel and I have been taking zopiclone for 18 years now and I know it hasn't helped me for many years. I tried numerous times to wean off but after the 3rd or 4th night of not sleeping I fall back into the same pit again. I'm amazed that you were able to quit cold turkey like that and think maybe I will try again and this time if it takes 2 weeks then so be it. I am 62 years old and have 7 grandchildren age 10 to 4 months I want to be around to see them grow. I really don't remember what it feels like to go to bed, fall asleep and wake up without using sleeping pills. Thank you for your encouragement.
    • Posted

Well hello everyone I've been off the zopiclone now for 4 days and feel good. I wake up often but do manage to doze off and wake up feeling less tired then when I was on it. Now I know I can do it, thank you all, you are a great inspiration.
    • Posted

Well done Carmel! That's great news. I'm on day 9 and it feels good. Once i eventually nod off I'm okay,it's getting to sleep I struggle with. I've been eating porridge in the evening which seems to help probably due to the milk. Its nice to wake up with a clear head. I am sure that time will sort out my body clock. We are on our way to freedom☺
    • Posted

Great! Now you know you can do it. I too kept on walking often, and still do, , but the difference is that I do so without that horrible tension and despair, as now I feel calmness in myself and trust that this is the righf way to go on, , and then the sleep returns. Btw, I'm the same age as yousmile Go well, Carmel. You will come through and regain your true self.
    • Posted

Hi Sheila, 5 nights now with no zopiclone didn't sleep at all last night, hopefully will a bit tonight but am ok with it, I don't want to go back there I really want to conquer this fight with zopiclone. I am so grateful to all of you for your support, it really makes a big difference for me knowing that you are all going through the same thing. Keep up the good work and good on you!!
    • Posted

Hi everyone, been off for 6 nights now and hanging in there but can't sleep yet. I am tired but I threw the pills and am determined not to start again. I have a question for you, do you stay in bed all night and toss and turn or do you get up and do something? I was wondering if laying in bed is the right thing to do. Is it the way to get your biological clock back on track, I really need your help with this because i don't know what to do. I'm leaving in 3 days to spend a week with my grandkids and would appreciate anybody's feedback on this. Thank you, without you I would be stressed out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.