I've finally done it

Posted , 14 users are following.

After being on zopiclone for five years I found it was starting to keep me awake and if I didn't take them I felt so I'll,so either way I was so tired it was starting to take a toll on my mental health ,anxiety,panic attacks it was awful .I knew things couldn't get much worse so I just stopped ,I didn't hardly sleep for two weeks and when I did the nightmares were something else ,I had the sweats and vomited and felt like hell .then after two weeks things got better within three weeks I was sleeping like a baby having normal dreams for the first time in years I looked forward to bedtime.I'm a happier nicer person and I feel great .I was very lucky because during this time I didn't work as I'm home with a broken leg I'm not sure I could have done this and go to work.so I just wanted people to no this can be done its hard but do able good luck to everyone I'm happy to chat to anyone who could do with some support x

7 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Mary, thank you for your help. I'm at that stage wwhere I'm beginning to think is this what reality is like? Nauseous, depressed, not able to string a sentence together. I fell asleep before 3am last night so I'm making progress. II'm not eating much at all. It's down to this forum that Im hanging in there. I'm determined to get clean. I guess this uncomfortable period must be endured if not enjoyed. I would say to anyone bite the bullet and get off this mind stealing poison which is so powerful. Not to mention the recent published articles which state that zopiclone shortens our lives.
    • Posted

Sheila I promise you the depression and anxiety will ease up and ease off .I was so anxious I was scared of doing anything but these feeling only mean your going through a process.lack of sleep actual tortures you I no,but hang in there ,it will get better.I'm here if you ever want to chat x
  • Posted

hi there ive now got to stop zopiclone i canot sleep at all if i dont take them,just thinking about not having them for one night has started to give me aniety attacks and all day my stomach feels very nervous.wen i wake up even after having one soon as i wake up it starts i have been sick twice with nerves if you can help me i would be very gratefull
    • Posted

Hi malcolm, gosh you sound just like me! I was terrified of stopping, almost a week ago now. I had to have those rotten pills. I had grim fantasies about how i could (nt) cope if I was marooned on a desert island. I Was desperate last week as I knew I had to stop but I didn't know how. I thought I would never sleep and would not be able to function without the pills/sleep. It was a revelation to find this forum and read about other people'seexperience. I was so lucky that others have shared their eexperiences so honestly and Im have tried to be eequally as honest IT CAN BE DONE! Others have reduced their intake by taper, I knew I couldn't do that, my addiction was so powerful, I had to get the pills out of the house. 168 zop drops on my coal fire. My hhusband said it was my choice - I could take them or destroy them. I chose freedom and II'm beginning to feel really good about my choice. I would suggest being really honest with yourself. Ask yourself what these pills are doing to your soul. I was beginning to lose it completely. I wish you and anyone else who is suffering every success
    • Posted

Sheila, wonderful! !! You are right, those evil deceptive pills destroy one's soul, mind and body. I too went 100% cold turkey, and now after about a month after am sleeping natural sleep and feeling so much more relaxed and awake during the day. Let's keep on spreading the message and assuring that it can be done and there is freedom after and without zopiclone
    • Posted

Thank you, ex-zombie and Mary! I forgot to say, I've gotten thro today without the sweats, absolutely marvellous. I'm feeling good. So happy to have got so this far. This forum is magic! Xx
  • Posted

Hi am going to see my grandkids in 1 week and when I get back am going off the zopiclone, I know I'm in for bad times but I really need to get my life back, been too long.
    • Posted

I look forward to hear how it goes .have a nice holiday and come back ready to face this full on x good luck
    • Posted

Hi Mary you know I decided to tackle it head on right now before I go seen grandkids, been without for 2 nights now, it's rough but I can do this with all your support. Thank you for being there for me.
  • Posted

Hi Mary, well done. I couldnt give them up, they were so addictive, but I finally got onto  crossover progam to diazepam amd haven' had any zopiclone for about two weeks now. 

Just got to reduce the diazepam but it seems like that is a lot easier. Went from 4-6 7.5mg zopiclone to 15mg diazepam  (about the equivalent of 4x7.5mg zopiclone and now starting to taper off the diazepam in 2mg per 3 weeks. Feel so much better already.

Am looking forward to be pill free by the summer!

• Posted

Hi folks,

Carmel, good for you! I wish you every success, we can do this! There is loads of positive feedback to help us. And Keith, I'm glad you are on a taper programme, hopefully that way you will avoid some of the weird withdrawal symptoms that I have experienced during the last week. Yes, I have completed a week! Which is amazing! So grateful to everyone for helping me. For some odd reason i couldn't sleep at all last night so I'm not feeling great today. However that's only the second night that's happened so I cannot complain too much and I guess I will sleep well tonight. But if I don't, I don't, there's always tomorrow. I can't believe I've got through A WHOLE WEEK. And if I belive other people's experience - the best Is yet to come😃. So Carmel and Keith, you guys will soon feel aabsolutely fantastic - despite no sleep last night, I do feel grateful and rather chuffed with myself. Keep posting folks, I need your help

• Posted

Well done Sheila. Believe in yourself, and keep on with it. As you say, Best is still to come, and you will find your OWN sweet sleepyhead!! smile
    • Posted

Still not sleepy but it does not matter! Rebound Insomnia. What a relief it is to hear others experience. I could not have done this without ya'll . Without all this information I would have crumbled by now and would have ordered more, prolonging the agony whilst my brain turned to mush

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.