I've had a scab on my lip for a couple of weeks, any ideas what it could be?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I seem to remember having a blackhead in the same area, which I extracted, but I'm not sure if it became infected. I've had a scab for two weeks, is there anything I should do?

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

don't pick it. Try bathing it with salt water
    • Posted

I'm not sure what that could be but it does look infected.  I think you should go to your doctor and possibly get an antibiotic or some other topic med to clear it up.  Don't be offended but could it possibly be an STD? I do think that what jacqueline said about soaking it in salt water could help..make the cloth as hot as you can stand it because it will draw all the infected part to the top...don't burn yourself but as hot as you can stand.  Good Luck, Michael

Frustrated

• Posted

Michael ~

How are things going with your lip?  Has any of out suggestions helped?  Let us know, please.

Frustrated

• Posted

If ur really concerned about it go to the chemist and speak with the pharmacy or go to ur GP. 

I usually put Savlon or tcp on mine. 

• Posted

I have been putting that on which has been drying it up a bit. I think I'll go to the Pharmacy to check.
  • Posted

It looks like the infected old blackhead area because the darker spot in the center is the new scab and the white around that is now infected serous fluid which was squeezed too hard.  I would try a little tea tree oil or witch hazel dabbed.  Also, sometimes a warm tea bag will help bring whiteheads to open up.  You need to get the infected white stuff out - and then keep applying either of the above 3 products -  perhaps even a dab of triple antibiotic ointment.  Alternate the applications so the bacteria do not get accustomed to one type of environment.  If none of this helps in say a week - see the doctor.  You might need an antibiotic.  (I know how irritating these 'little' things can be.)
    • Posted

The darker spot has now gone. It's gone a little flaky now.
  • Posted

Try rubbing a dab of toothpaste onto affected area, it will dry it out and as most toothpastes have some antibacterial agents in them it will also help to clear up any infection.
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies. I have been to the doctor, and he seems to think it is a skin tag. I'm not sure, he has refered me to hospital to potentially have it removed. I am currently treating a fungal infection on my toe nail. I did see somewhere online that they could be connected. Is that a possiblity?
  • Posted

When I first get out of the shower, it looks like this.
  • Posted

I apply some Savlon to dry it out, then it looks like this.
    • Posted

Hi Michael ~

How has your problem been?  I was going to say possibly a cold sore but it's a deeper red than I'm used to seeing.  Did you try any of the suggestions given?  If so, may I ask what helped the most?

Hope you're on the mend.

Frustrated

• Posted

Michael,

What worked, if anything?  Has this spot spread or is it all taken care of?  If it's gone, do you know what it is? A possible herpes virus? (cold sore)

• Posted

The doctor thinks it's some kind of skin growth, I'm thinking more a wart. Anyway the doctor froze it last week. And is now in the process of going black. It is starting to come away now.
    • Posted

That's great, huh?  Happy that you finally got a good ending to what may have seemed impossible.

Good luck and know that my daughter had a wart and had it frozen, she dosen't even have a scar!

Warm regards,

Frustrated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.