I've had cataract surgery 2 weeks ago and still blurry

Posted , 15 users are following.

I had a cataract removed in my left ( distance eye) 2 weeks ago and my distance vision is worse than before the surgery. I know the colors are brighter but I can't see to drive. It's worse in the mornings and gets a bit better in the afternoon. My doctor says there is a bit of inflammation still there and that  is what's causing this. He of course might be correct but it's frustrating. 

I have a few concerns, one of which why is it worse in the mornings and is the blurriest normal.

im doing the drops he prescribed regularly bur don't see any improvement. I understand what he says but would have thought it should get a bit better each day. So far it's is just about the same 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I'm in the same boat.  I did not require glasses to drive prior to surgery.  I'm about 6 weeks out and haven't had any improvement.  The surgeon said that I had no inflammation, so I'm guessing mine will not improve.  I told my surgeon that I didn't feel like I could not see well enough to drive to which he replied, "there are so many people out there driving who are worse off than you".  Ok is that supposed to make me feel better or does that make it right?!?  I sincerely hope that your vision gets better!
    • Posted

Whew what a comment for a doctor to make. Have you had a second opinion? I am going next week for oneto a Dr. highly reccomended by a cousin of mine, and i"m going to wait and see what he says. I didn"t need glasses before to drive but felt that my difficultios were from the cataract as I had no problem before it developed. Certainly if glasses will help for driving I'll give it a try.

I would have DEMANDED a better explanation from your Dr. for your diffculties.

I know that it takes time for things to heal but since your Dr. said there is no inflamation he should be held accountable for at least some ideas. I hope your vision gets better as well. Good luck

• Posted

It has been a nightmare to say the least.  My vision was 20/30 before surgery and is now 20/50.  He said his job was to make by eye healthy and now it is because I no longer have a cataract. It's just really hard for me to understand how my vision is worse after removing the cataract.  He said that I should be happy b/c I can correct to 20/20 with glasses.  I know glasses are not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but I had no idea that this was a possibility after cataract removal.  He had offered me a corrective lense before surgery that would alleviate me having to wear reading glasses but I opted not to do this b/c I don't have to wear them often.  At the follow up he made the comment that I should be glad that I didn't get that lens b/c if the one that he used bothered me I would have really hated the corrective lens.   He really has no explanation of why my vision is worse other than he may used the wrong sized lense.  He had a huge chip on his shoulder when I went into my follow up. He also said because I'm younger than the average person who has a catact (I'm 47) I shouldn't expect as much clarity as most people experiene.  I really wished that he would have told me this BEFORE surgery.  I would not have gotten the surgery had I known.  I was only having difficulties driving at night, now it's day and night.  The light sensitivity is through the roof.  It's difficult for me to go into any brightly lit store.  It sends my eye into overload.   I just really want answers as to why this simple surgery has caused me so much grief.  He got me out of there quick and just told me to follow up with my regular eye dr.  I do have an appointment with another surgeon next week.  I'm really hoping that I can get some answers  

• Posted

Light sensitivity is extremely common after cataract surgery since the new lens lets in far more light than the clouded natural lens did, so it is unlikely to be due to any problem. I had to turn my computer monitor brightness down to 0 for the first several weeks after my surgery and to wear sunglasses outside at times when I wouldn't have needed them, though eventually I got used to it after a few weeks.  I don't notice things being noticeably bright anymore and can be outside without sun glasses. Though it is best to wear sun glasses since unless you got a blue blocking lens (some are, mine isn't) the artificial lens lets in more UV than the natural lens did. 

re: "I shouldn't expect as much clarity as most people experience"

That seems backwards since the rest of the eye should be in better condition than someone older.  I've never heard that before and I know of a few patients within a few years of your age that have good distance vision.  I had my surgery at the also atypically young age of 52 and had  almost 20/15 vision at distance by a week after surgery.

​If your vision can be corrected to 20/20 with glasses then it seems most likely the lens power was off and that there isn't anything else wrong. They consider that a success because with a cataract they wouldn't have been able to correct your vision to 20/20 because of the clouding. 

Unfortunately determining the lens power isn't an exact science. They use statistics to determine based on the result of past patients with similar eye measurements what power you will likely need. That isn't guaranteed to work but is merely an educated guess. Usually for most people the results are fairly accurate, the results seem more likely to be off for those who needed strong glasses beforehand (likely because there are fewer data points from similar patients, though there are guesses that there may be errors in the equipment measuring highly nearsighted eyes).  However even if mistakes in lens power from people with fairly normal vision beforehand are rare, *someone* unfortunately winds up being the "statistic" whose lens power was off, and that might be what happened in this case.

It is possible it could also have been a mistake, like the wrong lens ordered, or a manufacturing error.  I would ask them what the formulas said your lens power should be (one of the most common pieces of equipment they use for that is an IOL Master which prints out what the formulas recommend for an IOL power) and what lens power you actually received. 

If the lens power is off, it is possibel for them to correct it either via glasses, contact lens, laser correction like PRK or LASIK, or  via either another surgery to replace the lens (which involves risk since it is surgery, even if its fairly safe like the original cataract surgery).

• Posted

It sounds like you shouldn't worry about what your distance vision will be yet due to the inflammation. Even without inflammation It often takes 3-4 weeks for the distance vision to settle down enough to where they will give people a prescription for any needed glasses, since the lens can move a little bit forward or backward while healing and that changes its power. Occassionally they need to wait 2-3 months. It may be that you will be lucky and your distance vision will improve and you won't need any correction, but unfortunately that isn't guaranteed (see the reply I just posted to kim94356 regarding lens power). 
    • Posted

to me it sounds like he didn't care weather u could see or not. something has to change here. the chip he's holding dearly to or more information for what to do

• Posted

did you get laser or conventional? what type of lens did you get? monofocal? multifocal? ? different lenses have different side effects. It would be helpful to know which Lens you got
    • Posted

also what type of anesthesia did you get? was your eye put totally to sleep our could you see during operation? were you yourself awake our asleep during operation? have to have all the input right if you want to try to figure out the cause.
    • Posted

I lens I received was for distance only as I decided to go mono vision . I had a retinal re attachment on the other eye and it left me with mono vision so I decided to stay with that. It was the premium single vision( I think that's the right term) .not sure on the anesthesia but I wasn't completely out. I was talking to the doctor during it. 
  • Posted

I assume you meant monofocal, not monovision.  If you had a premium lens, then it would not be a monofocal. premium lenses are the more expensive alternatives to monofocals.  such as multi focals or even crystalline accomodating lenses.  There are some monofocals on the market but such as the symfony lens which is an extended range of focus monofocal but not yet available in the U.S.  So not sure what type of lens you got but I assume you got a standard monofocal.  Try to find out what type of lens you got.  If you got a monofocal,that is the lens with the least likely occurance of side effects so seems like the issue is with the procedure rather than the lens.  
  • Posted

Hi Linda. So sorry to hear about your blurred vision. I had the same problem with the eye I had done three weeks ago that you responded to. My vision was clear the day after surgery but then got blurry. I was told it was due to inflammation but after 4 days and a continued eye ache my eye pressure was high. He adjusted my drops. Didn't help. Finally put me on drops to reduce the pressure and my vision did get better. I have had a whole set of new issues with my second eye. I wish you well and hope your vision improves soon. It is so discouraging 
    • Posted

Linda,

how is your vision now. I had IOL implanted 3 week back. Day 1 after surgery was 25/25 and then I see my vision blurry. Went to 2 week check and doctor said its inflammation but eye is fine. Just wanted to see if for you blurry vision is gone and after how long.

thanks

Rich

• Posted

I understand your problem. I had cataract surgery 8 weeks ago. My vision is worse, I have blurry vision, double vision, the light sensitivity is also horrible. My long distance and close up vision is also absolutely terrible I also have a dark cresent type shape in the corner of my eye and its driving me crazy. To be honest I wish I never went through this surgery. I could see better with the cataract in my eye except for a little blurriness. The surgeon keeps telling me that it will get better. At this point I don't believe it. To me its been far too long to see any improvement. I have never been so upset over something as I have been with this. I know that I won't have my other eye done. I need to see with one as I am unable to see correctly with the one I had the cataract removed.

• Posted

I had cataract surgery in March. My vision was great the first week but started getting PCO bybthe 2nd or 3rd week. I had Yag surgery last month and my vision is no better. i am short sighted in my right and far in my left.

i could cry as the diopters between both eyes has created a huge 5 diopters inbalance and now looking for see if I can get piggy back lenses to put my left eye back to short so I can wear glasses again and the bance my vision up.

its not the silver lininv I hoped, cataract surgery.

• Posted

my mom in same boat. thought she would be seeing to read. but still can't see.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.