I've had cataract surgery 2 weeks ago and still blurry

Posted , 15 users are following.

I had a cataract removed in my left ( distance eye) 2 weeks ago and my distance vision is worse than before the surgery. I know the colors are brighter but I can't see to drive. It's worse in the mornings and gets a bit better in the afternoon. My doctor says there is a bit of inflammation still there and that  is what's causing this. He of course might be correct but it's frustrating. 

I have a few concerns, one of which why is it worse in the mornings and is the blurriest normal.

im doing the drops he prescribed regularly bur don't see any improvement. I understand what he says but would have thought it should get a bit better each day. So far it's is just about the same 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

my mom in same boat. thought she would be seeing to read. but still can't see.

• Posted

oh my gosh I’m so sorry that you’re experiencing this! I definitely wouldn’t wish this on anyone! I am on week number three for my first eye and week two for my second. I am also only 48 and a photographer and a nurse. I was told that I would need reading glasses but that my distance vision would be fine. not the case at all. I can’t see anything clearly past the hood of my car. after the first eye I could see fairly well actually but after the second eye my vision took a huge nose dive both near and far. my surgeon has already talked about hitting the secondary cataracts with the laser but i am so disappointed i dont know if i will go back. I know I should be grateful that I can see anything at all but because I’m young and my cataracts weren’t terrible but they were just smack dab in the middle of my vision causing blurring difficulty reading and difficulty driving at night, I feel so frustrated and disappointed that I can’t even tell a bird from a squirrel at this point. Uhg.

• Posted

I think I would wait until both eyes are at least 3 weeks and then see an optometrist for a refraction evaluation. If you can't see past the hood of your car that sounds like a serious miss in the power selection for the lens. Or there is something wrong with the position of the lens, such as not being centered or tilted. The optometrist should also be able to tell you if you have any posterior capsule opacification (PCO) which is sometimes called secondary cataracts. 2-3 weeks seems early for that though. The issue with doing a YAG laser so soon is that it makes lens exchange more difficult in case that is what the real solution is.

• Posted

I am having the same problem. I had laser asssisted cataract surgery on my right eye 2 weeks ago and have the standard Medicare approved lens set for distance. It was a dense cataract and needed more energy to break up which caused more inflammation. I also have a macular wrinkle and had some blurriness with that which will stay with me but it seems more pronounced after surgery than before. My problem seems to be that my vision is still blurry at every distance and maybe a little more blurry today than it has been. I am scheduled to have surgery on my left eye tomorrow so hoping I have better vision with that eye!

• Posted

Just wondering also how your vision is now after several months?

• Posted

I expect it is too late to cancel your surgery tomorrow, but my opinion is that it is never a good idea to have surgery on the second eye until the first eye is fully healed (6 weeks post surgery) and a refraction has been done to determine what the actual outcome was. Your surgeon should also be very interested in what the actual outcome was so that they could make any necessary adjustments to the power calculation to improve the accuracy.

• Posted

I had cataract surgery a week ago yesterday & still blurry! Some days it gets better as day goes on & some days not too much. my dr diagnosed me with Fuchs Dystrophy (cornea issue)) before my cataract surgery & said the surgery would be done as all laser to minimize aggravating the cornea. I was asymptomatic to the Fuchs but I know one of the symptoms is blurry vision in the morning so now I'm wondering if the surgery aggravated it! So depressing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.