I've had pressure on my bladder for 14 months, help?!

Posted , 51 users are following.

In July 2013 I had cystitis for three weeks, the hospital gave me 7 days of trimethoprim and sent me home. After finishing the course, the burning etc had gone but I still felt a slight pressure making me feel like I needed to urinate all the time. This feeling stayed with me day and night for three whole months,many all the urine samples that were sent off came back negative for an infection. I had vaginal swabs done and they were clear too. After three months it slowly died off, and is now an occasional occurrence. Occasional being a couple times a week. I've since seen a urologist who did a cystoscopy and checked for interstitial cystitis but that came back clear as well. I then had a laparoscopy (for endometriosis diagnosed in 2011) and that all came back clear, my endo hasn't come back. This brings us now to the last couple of months, I've had thrush which was treated at home. I now have cystitis again, and I'm on trimethoprim 10 day course but it's not doing anything. I've told my docs this but they won't even see me, I had to go through 111 to try and get someone to see me. I've tried trimethoprim, citrofloxacin, nurofontaine (sp?) and metronidazole. 

Nothing is working. I take cranberry tablets to prevent uti's and moringa tablets to help fight bacterial infections as I believe it is bacterial. Sex can aggravate it, it's worse around my mid cycle and when I'm on, no foods or drinks make it worse. The only symptom is like a pressure on my bladder making me feel like I need a wee. It comes out of nowhere. I've seen three doctors and spoken to five, they're all fobbing me off now and I'm becoming depressed because of this. It's now affecting my work and my relationship. I really need proper help, what could it be? I don't feel like I'm ever going to be normal again

2 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi. I know this is in an old thread - so I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this. I am having the symptoms that some of you are describing. They have treated me for UTI, however my urine test all came back negative. I saw urologist, who also did some more testing and said everything is negative. I'm having horrible pressure in my bladder, pain in my back in my sides and I'm not sure what to do. I'm having an ultrasound on My pelvis on Tuesday but I honestly don't know if I can make it 2 more days. It's Christmas and I'm in tears.Any ideas for relief of this terrible feeling. I also hav anxiety, which is making everything worse.

• Posted

Hi Joanne,

I'm very sorry to hear you are suffering, and at Christmas, too! I have been there, though, with many holidays, trips, good times ruined by my bladder. The anxiety makes it so much worse.

Like you, every bladder and urine test I had was normal. My GP sent me to a therapist. I just kept getting worse and worse.

After being admitted to hospital with urinary retention, I finally got a scan on my pelvis, so at least you are getting that done soon!

Mine revealed two massive fibroids. My doctors continued saying that wasn't the problem even though my uterus was the size of a 5-month pregnancy. Long story short, I had a hysterectomy (privately paid) in July and my bladder issues have disappeared.

I've left out a lot of the painful details of five years of suffering. (My husband and I are trying to decide if we want to file a complaint.)

Your problem likely is not fibroids, but make sure you check that out to be sure.

Best of luck! I will send good vibes your way.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response. I'm feeling really alone with this right now. And the fear of not knowing is making the anxiety worse

May I ask, was the hysterectomy your own decision, or was that the only option?

Is there any other treatments for fibroids, if that's what I have?

• Posted

Sorry you are feeling so low.   I was part of this thread and i've been there.

I won't repeat everything i've put on before, but I did have pressure on bladder,  pain in back and side and when urinating and no infection.  I was put on overactive bladder medicine and it didn't work for me (though I do appreciate it does for other people).    I changed my diet drastically only eating plain stuff and after a few (long) months I did feel better.   It is only my opinion but I think my bladder was "raw" through an infection that didn't show upand it managed to heal through time.   The pressure could be my fibroid  but i'm just guessing.

I was offered a cystascope (which I refused because I was terrified though tons of people tell me it is not as bad as you think) I got the ultrasound with urine retention check and the only thing wrong was a large and bulky womb caused most likely by a fibroid and that may have been pressing on bladder. I'm not retaining urine.  

I'm about 9 months on from that and i've been taking no medicine and i'm not in pain.   My urine is sometimes a bit slow to come out but if I sit a bit more forward it comes out naturally.  I never thought I would ever be able to urinate properly again and not be in pain but I am pretty good.  I'm not perfect and I do go to the toilet quite frequently but I can certainly put up with that.   The pain in back and side is usually attributed to kidneys but they checked them in ultrasound and found they were fine too. Those pains have gone.

I had a very stressful situation recently and a lot of my symptoms returned so yes I agree stress does contribute.    I was able to return to a normal diet albeit more healthy than I was before.   I also took supplements that others on the website recommended. 

I wish I could tell you to do x and x and you would be fine but I don't know the answer.   We are all different (murnaloo needed the op she mentioned) and only Doctors can find out what is.going on inside and make a decision. I haven't really got an answer as to what was/is wrong with me. I was lucky my symptoms got better, though as I said i'm not 100% but I can lead a normal life. 

Basically I want to give you hope.   Thousands of women have had similar symptoms to us.   You are definitely not alone.

Good luck.    Hope you get on ok at ultrasound.

x

• Posted

Thank you so much Vicky,

Were you very frustrated at first? Just the not knowing....

I am scared for the ultrasound. Hoping it's nothing too serious. But also hoping I can get answers. Like right now my bladder isn't feeling as much pressure than earlier. But side and back hurt and now have a feeling like I'm constipated and have pms pains. This is so stressful. I was able to work out this morning. But I have been eating really poorly. Bad foods. Now after reading what you said I'm wondering if that may have something to do with it too.

Again thank you for responding. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better and it wasn't anything serious.

• Posted

Hi Joanne,

No, hysterectomy wasn't the only option. I had UFE (uterine fibroid embollisation) to shrink the fibroids (got out of hospital last Christmas Eve). My fibroids shrunk 65%, but they still caused my uterus to push in my bladder.

I was 46 and had no children. My husband and I did not want kids but I still didn't want a hysterectomy, partly because I didn't want to go into menspause.

I tried every dietary thing I could. My husband has been vegan for 12 years, so I tried that. I tried acupuncture and meditating. I spent years on overactive bladder mess as well as antibiotics. The symptoms never went away.

I talked with friends, friends of friends, colleagues, even strangers, and everyone who'd had fibroids and had a hysterectomy said they wished they'd done it sooner. Still, I went into very upset - had my GP listened to me five years ago, it might not have come to this.

I had everything removed except my ovaries. I had the hysterectomy done laperiscioically, so I had no problems. Seriously, I was much worse off when I had my wisdom teeth removed.

Within six weeks, I felt normal. I feel 100% for the first time in years. I do not regret the hysterectomy at all. It solved my problems. I understand it's not right for all, but it's worth ruling out fibroids. If I'd listened to my doctors, I would have dismissed fibroids without investigating this possibility and I'd still be suffering.

• Posted

I was scared not knowing what was wrong.    I was so scared after the scan because I knew they had found something.    They just concentrated on one area and kept digging the machine into me and that was sore which ultrasounds normally are not.  It took a few weeks for that pain to go away.  I found out later they were trying to get a good picture to see exactly what it was.   It seems to be that if you have fibroid if they are not causing any pain they prefer to leave alone as they tend to go down during menopause and a lot of people don't know they have them.   I had no idea I had one until last year and it is is quite big.   I must still have it, but it is not bothering me.    If it starts to bother me then  I have to go back to Doctor to be looked at again.

I was glad to read Murnaloo's positive version of a hysterectomy as I can't rule out that it might happen in the future but at the moment i'm ok.  I'd say 95% normal again.   

You might not even have a fibroid.    I hope your scan is soon .   Definitely best to get things over and done with.   

You have just reminded me when I had the soreness I couldn't do any exercise apart from walking.  I tried to do a little dancing but I just couldn't manage even a few seconds.  I was very tense in my pelvic region and had to do relaxation exercises which did help loosen the muscles   I've forgotten half of the stuff I went through.

Some days I still feel a bit of pressure on bladder (when i'm stressed) but mostly i'm ok.   It has also been suggested I might have small kidney stones.   

As you can see from forum lots of us have similar symptoms but different outcomes.   I still don't have a definitive answer to what was wrong but as long as I can live my life pain free i'm happy.

I hope you get a good outcome that can be fixed quickly

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. If you don't mind me asking, What is a UFE?

• Posted

Have you gotten better?

I have a similar issue

When the pressure comes I know urge frequency will begin along with burning but not much of actual urine coming out.

Also at the end of the urination I get like this contracting action on my stomach like my bladder is contracting or trying to push more bladder out. Is that something you have?

• Posted

Yes, that describes it almost perfectly!!

I'm still having the feeling. Not all the time but about 50% of the time.

I went to a urologist, who ran some test, and nothing showed up. She suggested seeing a gynecologist. I had a pelvic ultrasound, and nothing showed up there either. The gynecologist referred me back to the urologist. So at this time, I have absolutely no answers.

• Posted

I have the same symptoms.  I thought I had an allergy to something so I watched what I was eating what I've been around.  I thought back to when it started and I believe I have an allergy to the type of pads I used.  It sounds like it happens to others around their period time, so I believe this may be what is causing the problem.   I decided to stay away from certain brands of pads.  

My doctor said that would not cause this problem, but I think he is wrong.  Just like certain types of toilet paper cause problems, pads have materials and/or chemicals that may cause irritation or allergies.

I did try the tumeric remedy and within 15 minutes the pressure subsided.  

• Posted

How do you do the tumeric remdy?  

None of my doctor's can figure out what the heck is wrong with me.  It's not as often anymore.  It seems like it's worst if I sit for long periods of time and especially worst later towards bedtime. 

• Posted

I just measured out 1/4 teaspone of tumeric and swallowed it with water.  I took it a couple times a day for 2 days.

I also started drinking a lot of hot drinks like tea, hot chocolate, spiced chia, and the pressure went away within 1 day.  I now drink a lot more water!  I remember the doctor saying that my urine was very dark and I needed more fluids.  I am feeling so much better.  

• Posted

Hi jaffatin..i saw ur post yesterday as i was suffering from same problem bladder contraction spasm,urgency and frequency.pain at back and lower abdomen sometimes,everyb2-3 days i used to get i thought like uti doctor adviced to take antibiotics,then pain stopped after analgesics,and after 2 days of stopping again restarted it used to get every 2 days ,once i went to india for a month it sopped..n got again after getting back to kuwait.thn i thought something is wrong with bladder not infection sunthing else.then i searched n tried to solve with few measures,it resolved.

Steps-dont urge to urinate,jus pass.dnt press to pass every drop.relax

-dnt drink too much water,jus drink enough water when u feel thirsty

--add baking soda pinch to 1 litre of water n drink to alkaline the urine

-dnt drink cranberry juice,coffe,tea or chocolates

-drink cumin coriander powder coffee

How to make:4 tbsp coriander seeds

4 tbsp cumin seeds

5 pepper,1piece cinnamon stick

4 cardamom,4 cloves

Make dry roast n powder store in airtight container

Make like a coffee instead of coffee n drink

Soak cinantro leaves in water for few hrs then boil it in 2 glass of water in cool down n drink whole day

It wil cool down the body and heal any cystitis

I healed mine

Hope its hrlpful for most of them

• Posted

Hi. Could you tell me did this ever resolve for you? I have had a constant urge to urinate for about a month and nothing is working. It takes over your life and I hoped to hear a success story.
    • Posted

Yes, I believe the solution was drinking lots of liquid!  I drink all day long and the pressure has not come back.  I can't believe how much better I feel! I have been good for the last month now.biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.