I've had upper center and left abdominal pain for months but it's getting worse.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, back in Feburary I went to the doctors after suffering abdominal pain (pain just above the belly button, right in the center) for over a week. The doctor said I have unexplained abdominal pain, because he used a stethoscope on my belly and said he heard nothing wrong with my entire abdomen (I do think he was trying to shoo me out to be honest). I was prescribed with a weeks worth of Buscopan and sent home.

I'll admit, the Buscopan did work that time. But when I stopped taking it because I ran out, the center of my abdomen started hurting again about a week later, but eventually it stopped hurting at all.

Well, until 2 weeks ago when I suddenly started getting the pain in the same area again, and also now in the left side of my abdomen just below the ribcage. I started getting new symptons too. I felt extremely bloated after eating a meal, so bloated that I can barely eat a regular sized meal (before I would always go back for seconds after I finished eating), I started feeling a lot more fatigue, I went from having 1 1hour nap a week to 2 1 and a half naps a day. I've also been getting bad headaches (not migraine bad though), and I've just been feeling generally unwell ever since my abdomen started hurting again recently.

I've tried both Deflatine and Buscopan again recently. The Deflatine just makes me feel gassy but does nothing about the pain, and the Buscopan has stopped working (I've been taking both for a week, and strong paracetamol on top of that).

My sister who is a nurse in training doesn't think it's IBS since she said IBS shouldn't be in your upper abdomen, only your lower. I feel like I should go to the doctor but I feel like he'll just shoo me out again with more Buscopan or something. What should I do? Does anyone know what it could be from my symptons?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

they had an IBS related topic on a doctors programme a short while ago and mentioned something I had never heard of before then and that's some people are extremely sensitive to their colon/intestines expanding, and get horrible pains in all those areas.  Most people the expansion doesn't affect them but those who are affected have bad pain that moves around.  think they said to eat small regular meals and base your diet on gluten/dairy/sunflower oil intolerence.   Since I've been following that I've had no horrible pains but the day I cheat and have daily or gluten all the pains and wind come back again.

• Posted

I have heard of this problem before that people with IBS are sensitive to the bowel expanding and contracting when digesting and processing food but those without iBS are not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.