I've have epilepsy/seizure

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I've epilepsy and it all started when I'm 20 and I'm 36 years old now. no history of epilepsy in our family and neither did I had an accident or head injury. when it newly started, just happened and stopped so no body suspected epilepsy. months later it started again and I've been battling with it up till now and is like every month thing now and I don't want epilepsy. it do last for like 5-10 minute, i will be very weak, unconscious, loss of taste, head and eye turning to one side, stiffness those are the things I do experience after the seizure. I was placed on tegretol after electrolytes test( bicarbonate 28, sodium 144, chloride 101, potassium 5.1 test result) what can I do to stop the seizure and which drug will you recommend for me?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was on tegretal and phoenebarbital for many years witnout any ceizures but was put on keppra because i had hep c and could not take the 1st 2 drugs because of drug interactions with harvoni for the hep c. Little did i know that after switching drugs and taking the harvoni i came down with neuropathy.. The neurologist blames it on the hep c but i was going just fine until switching meds. I think the keppra or the harvoni gave me that  but doctors like to think they know it all! Anyway good luck.
  • Posted

Anyway, thanks kenatwood but how is your health now?
    • Posted

lyrica caused cortical myoclonus in me. Also neuropathy due to Phenytoin by Flynn Pharma.
    • Posted

How long ago ws it since the neuropathy srtarted> What treatment are u given  for it?

• Posted

the neuropathy pain started in 2015 and they tried both gabapentin and lyrica but i was too out of focus on those so they put me on cybalta  but that does nothing for pain. i am going to ask about tramadol as i heard that takes care of the pain. It is an opiod so not sure if they will give it to me but worth a shot. i was fine up until they started me on keppra for ceizures, the only reason they put me on that was so i could take harvoni for hep c.. If i would have known either the keppra or the harvoni would give me neuropathy, i would have stayed on my original meds and lived with the hep c
    • Posted

Kenawood I would avoid Tramadol. It can lower the seizure threshold. I had knee surgery and the Dr gave me tramadol for pain. A couple nights later, I began auras when I went to bed and when I woke up. The only change in life was tramadol. (I take lamotrigine and levetiracetam). Didn’t know what was going on until I looked up tramadol. I called my surgeon up and told him the possible effects of tramadol. He didn’t seem to want talk too long. I was still in pain and had a scheduled an appointment with my GP a couple days later. Told him of my auras and tramadol. He was surprised and wanted to know the name of the surgeon. Although I stopped taking tramadol, I continued to have night time auras before going to sleep and morning auras just after waking up for months. My GP put me on Norco. I fell and injured my back in Feb and given Norco by another GP. I only take it when needed. Before prescribing it, she looked up to see if there any interactions between meds, lamotrigine and levetiracetam. From that point on, I’ve looked up any potential effects of a new med before taking it. 
    • Posted

Tramadolm is not adviseable if person has epilepsy. It lowers the sz threshold and also causes chest pain.

The GP shouldhave checked this out before prescribing, cred meds.

• Posted

So what is good for the pain? Lyrica and gabapentin don't even touch it , i am also taking CBD capsules but they don't help either

• Posted

U need to discuss all this with your dr. He may be aware that tramadol lowers the seizure threshold , he may not.

Opiates are not normally prescibed in epilepsy patients as I understand it.

DId your dr prcribe the cbd capsules, hope u do not mind my asking.

​Whatis your bone profile like, Has anyone checkd your vitamin D and B12 levels for  checked for anaemia? SOme drs advise magnesium for cramps etc.

• Posted

Yes, unfortunately i cannot get in to see my doctor until7/21 so is going to be a long wait. My blood levels are good also.

​The cbd capsules do not need to be prescribed so i got them at a dispensary. as far as my bone profile goes, my neuro;logist says it is neuropathy while an artery dr ran a test and said i have some calcium formation on my bones or something which is restricting the flow of blood and blood cells

• Posted

I am an oldun but had Epilepsy at puberty 14 and was put on phenobarbitone in those days.  50 plus years later I am still on them.  Took them with Epanutin but gums started to bleed and teeth became loose grr.

Off Epanutin now on phenobarb with Keppra but Keppra has lost it's magic as I had no seizures for 5 years and this year had 1 sometimes 2 a month, so going to see Doc.  He says put up phenobarbitone but it burns me and I smell of bleach  lol xx So I told him No !!

• Posted

hi Winnie

​I too haveepilepsy due to hippocampal sclerosis.

KEPPRA.  Has the manufacturer been changed? This could account  for the return of seizures. Just a thought.

EPANUTIN/PHENYTOIN .

PHENOBARBITONE.  Is there any fluoride or chlorine in this drug I have neverhaditbut read the oher day that a smell of bleach in water  is due to the chlorine and/or fluorie put into it. I do not know for sure .

Epanutin . This may be causing or have caused the burning as it is thought to have done in me by my neurologist and endocrinologist however if the burning of your mouth happens after taing phenobarbitione then it does sound as though this is responsible.

Have you reported this via the yellow card system, DOH MHRA if in the UK. FDA in the US.

​Good luck .  Take care  Jane xxx

• Posted

Winnie sorry about typos. I am in a lot of pain.
    • Posted

It makes me mad, especially doctors who have the attitude that they know everything.. It seems that they are getting paid by the drug companies to push certain drugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.