I've just been hit for six again

Posted , 5 users are following.

I really can’t believe it. I was actually starting to feel a lot better over the last few weeks. I was de-stressing myself, my anxiety was curbed, I have been going in and out of stores that I usually find unpleasant, been to a restaurant a few times, a pub and generally been more active. I said to myself “Dar you’re getting better mate”, I was feeling really good and was looking forward to a game of badminton I was going to have that night…..and then it hit me !!

For no apparent reason at all. I was stood at my office front door, getting some fresh air and then I was completely overwhelmed with vertigo. If completely floored me. I didn’t fall down, but it was one of those where I had to sit down on the floor because leaning on something wasn’t going to cut it. (This has happened before when I was home in my kitchen about a year ago). I did nothing to provoke it, I was in a good frame of mind, I was just looking aimlessly out towards the car park and then whamm!! Have some of that !!

In less than a minute I was back on my feet and then back at my desk but with that lovely foggy head feeling you get when you get vertigo, a bit nauseated and a little off balanced, which I still have it 24 hours later. My confidence has been knocked again and I am back to being careful.

I wouldn’t say I’ve gone back to square one, I would say more like square ten (I know what square one feels like and that feels vile) but a setback none the less. I was able to continue with my day with no drama and I drove home with no problems. It’s just this horrible brain fog. I’ve taken Annadins but they don’t seem to work.

I did play badminton and that was alright, but the head fog, off balance and I guess the exercise itself totally spaced me out.

Oh well 3 steps forwards, 2 steps backwards !!

1 like, 73 replies

73 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh Darren, so sorrt to hear this.  I know where you are , sort of, as mine doesn't quite come on the same when it decides to hit.  I forget now, but have you been 'tested; for Menieres?  only ask that as strangely heard from an Aussie friend this a.m. telling me about a colleague who had same kind of 'hit' as you out of the blue and they've diagnosed that.  mind you, as we all know, a diagnosis isn't always right is it?

Did you play Badminton before this happened.  I do know that the more exercise i do makes things worse for me and that doesn't mean sport necessarily, can be gardening, cleaning, or even sitting down but using my eyes a lot as in reading or sewing, or computer.  m'aybe too much movement 'jogged' something in your labrynth?

on the brain fog thing does your head (inside) feel kind of 'swollen'?  if so i find taking an anti inflammatory sometimes helps better than reguar painkillers. ie Ibuprofen.

• Posted

I haven't done any sports for ages Gill but becuase I was feeling better, I booked a court but my dizzy spell was a good few hours earlier.

Yes my brain does feel kind've swollen. I'll send the wife out for some Ibuprofens :-)

• Posted

Thanks for sharing, Ihave the same problem, from beeing very active, to do nothing, feeling like drunk soon Iwalk, and Iuse to run,,can I ask u whic kind of vitami. U take????

Thanks

• Posted

I was taking Vit D supplements up unitil a month or so ago but apart from that ..nothing. I am not particularly keen on headache tablets but will only take them when if I also feel a bit nauseated.
  • Posted

Hiya Darren,what a bummer,hit you out of nowhere,you've not long said things hadn't been as bad,what in hells name set it off this bad,going anywhere to get it looked at again,could have been bending to many times if playing badminton ,that could have been the catalyst,it's one thing you never can get the answer you want,maybe it will go back to where it was given couple days.,sometimes we forget something ,not till way later and think I forgot I done XYZ.Done that myself,as you've been doing better you've just gone and just done that.Hope your get back. x
    • Posted

This came out of the blue a few hours before I was due on court. Perhaps it was the thought of it...hahaha

I wish I knew what set it off too !!

Oh well !!

• Posted

maybe it was the thought of it!!  sometimes there just isn;t an explanation is there and that is oneof the most frustrating things about this illness.  i've been in bed most of late pm cos i mowed the b.....y lawn yesterday and then spent some time 'focussing' on reading and sewing today, and that just set me off!!
    • Posted

Before you played,can be anything,like Anne don't know why any of this dizzy/ balance buisness began,thyroid ? lack of certain Vits?anaemia?hormones ?blinking mystery all round,Drs don't know zilch,left trying to figure it out on our own,but all of us have been saying this for so long,Blind leading the blind.weve all had test of some description,so answers out there just got to blinking find it.Lets know how you do,see if and when you improve again.   What I find weird ,why has it got worse than before?
  • Posted

sorry to hear about this Darren, Bummer, so unpredictable.

• Posted

Hi Anne take it nothing better in your court either,been in touch with others out in USA and Canada,same problem there as well,whatever is causing this it's everywhere.Chap I know locally has it so bad can't stand up,sounds like ole Darren only in his 20's.dr again told this chap don't know the cause.Seems to be hitting across all age range,X
    • Posted

I wish I was in my 20's Marlene...lol .....I'm actually 45 :-)

Theres a part of me that thinks that I should go back to the doctors and theres a part of me that thinks, what's the point? 

• Posted

Hi Marlene, everyday it's there to a greater or lesser degree. been having more good than bad days lately so was disappointed to hear that it had come back and hit Darren again after he felt like he was getting back on his feet.  But then again on Wednesday this week felt like I was going to pass out for a brief moment. Wonder if the weather has anything to do with it, barometric pressure, stormy weather etc.,  Clutching at strawssmile So unpredictable but now that i know things can improve and then get bad again and then hopefully improve I have a better understanding that it's a bit of a roller coaster ride.

• Posted

Hiya Darren  I wish to,I was 20 again,you old boy you.Ha Ha always said you were to young at your age to have this trouble.

We all say what's the point,we've all had these Drs then ENT's over and over wears you down as it still continues.

Gill waiting for London Hsp app regards to hers,not holding much hope.

E Mail her Darren,she'll tell you,about her last visit to her ENT.

What you doing today ?some days it's just you got to just sit,but no way to live.especially at your age,same goes for Anne,same boat ,got to work,so it's great need to get this fixed once and for all.God Bless Mar

• Posted

Hi Anne,yea shame about Darren going backwards,it's the pits,I'm sure weather plays a big part to this,I've got this tinnitus and rhinitis going as well as this balance ,then this lot going on brings anxiety up,it's a no win all round,then meno hormones want a go,there all over the auction.

Right carry on,bet your glad Anne for a Friday to be here.You work from a surgery,any Drs there throw a light on any of it.got to be patients with this they've come across,I know it's not just us on this sight.

When my tinnitus is low ,my balance is far worse,is it allergies inside the ears ?Mind boggles as to what's doing it,started taking B12,and B6 see if that help.Roller coaster ride as you say.what in hell is the cause of it. X

• Posted

Hi Marlene

this week i've been struggling with feeling very tired, felt better last week, cos as you mention the tinnitus, mine has been been noisier for me this week, my neck  has been quite stiff,  my eyes have been watering, been sneezing a lot, eyes watering, maybe hayfever, otherwise I'm finesmile.  Think it's easy with this condition to think that everything else is related to it but sometimes it could just be a straightforward cold or hayfever but obviously with this condition it increases the balance problems if your ears and eyes are bunged up. Going to try antihistamines next week if it persists.

• Posted

Hi Anne,my sinuses been blocked,antihistamines don't help me,but look how our weathers been,husband and daughter,have had it bad to Anne.

Like you say it's one big link up,my ears feel full,that's normal,tinnitus a right pain high today,some days can't wait for day to end,Drives you nuts hey.it districts me to the point,can't concentrate when someone calls me on phone,this hissing going 24/7.think of you,only another with tinnitus gets this and balance going together.Try some antihistamines,won't hurt.My daughter has Boots brand  husband has Cetirizine on prescription.

• Posted

Hi Anne how are you doing ? Any better ? 
    • Posted

Hi Darren ,how are you doing now any better ,?
    • Posted

Hi Marlene sorry couldn't reply sooner had to reset password etc., as some problem logging in.   Anyway, same old merrygoround.  Just when you think it might have one away it's back again, so now just tend to make the most of a good day without expecting too much as far a a recovery is concerned.  Saw the ENT on a week when i felt much improved, got discharged, only for it to return again few days later.

Onwards and upward.  Hope you're feeling improved.  I am taking regular ibuprofen now for stiff neck which i am sure is linked to it all and this seems to help oveall.  Still left with wonky vision.

• Posted

Sorry that your still on this merry go round,so ENT didn't get the right picture when you went,sods law I call that So your back to starting it all over again ,or are you not going to bother ,it gets you down without a doubt ,

I get neck ache ,had a CT scan last October ,nothing from Drs mentioned outcome,till in Feb I asked my dr ,hey only had 2 neck bones out of alignment ,went straight to osteopath ,had them pressed back in place ,think  I've got touch of arthritis ,due to being left going on 9 years complaining of neck pain .

Always said this neck pain has been part of the balance and tinnitus and rhinitis ,think my Eustachian tubes are permanently blocked due to the allergies I've got inside ears .

What I have been trying out is comfrey cream from Holland  Barrett  for my neck ache ,also Vit D  spray .

You still managing work okay ,?  Don't know where we go from here Anne,I've looked for answers ,unless you hit on that one good dr ,or that one good ENT ,can't see any improvement ,to getting us back to rights .

Often think of you and old Darren .  Stay in touch lets know how your going on .xxxx

• Posted

Hi Marlene

How are you doing? I'm still battling on...haha. I had a wicked headache yesterday so I felt more lightheaded than usual. Better today though !!

I'm still doing badminton every week for a bit of exercise. I don't know if it's because of years of playing squash but there is nothing wrong with my hand/ eye coordination thats for sure. Its just that heightened awareness that I feel when I'm stood still, that feel of gravity tugging at me that makes me feel off balance and weird.

I think I've allowed anxiety to creep in again, so I need to curb that again becuase I know that don't help and I have no idea why or how it creeps back in..weird !!

Over all I'm doing OK, I'm going out more, I am driving more so I know I am getter better. I just keep getting knocked for 6 every so often which sets me back.

Anyhow, how are you?

• Posted

Think i will my neck checked out like yourself Marlene may be a good idea to visit an osteopath, it did show up on an MRI as being pronounced (the bone in my neck at the back that is).

I was thinking of reducing my work hours but still need to pay the bills so will wait and see how i get on.  So long as it doesn't get any worse still feel i can function most days but it is exhausting on a bad day.

Hope your neck ache improves, i'm taking ibuprofen which helps me and does seem to help all my other problems when my neck isn't so sore.

I'm also going to get some new glasses.  I am concerned about the effect going on holiday will have at the end of october as flying also usually affects my ears for days afterwards and the tinnitus increases.

what a game, never mind eh, stuck with it.

• Posted

Hi Darren i give myself a good talking too when i start doing the anxiety thing because as you say it just makes the whole problem worse.

• Posted

Glad your still standing Dareren ,if you know what I mean,good your doing more ,maybe that's the key to part of it ,not easy when you feel as giddy as we do .its doing as much as you can for as long as you can ,then stop .

Wish we could pluck answer from thin air ,but that's unlikely to happen hey .that anxiety ,yes that's another add on to this .its all stress related .Lots get it I still do ,never get 2 days the same  with that .

I've done meditation for few years now  but it still gets the better of me ,it's there soon as I wake some days,can be because as Anne put it ,it's another merry go round day your on with this ,wish we had a given name for this .

Your driving more ,that's good .im okay in car don't feel the balance ,just when static or walking still. Glad heard from you and Anne wondered how you both were doing .if I get any info you will be the first 2 I'll let know ,can be sure of that .God bless Darren ,PS Gill just waiting to see Drs in London about her balance ,not holding her breath on a result though xxx

• Posted

thanks for kind wishes Marlene, i'm just eating a big bar of chocolate which is one of the things i'm supposed to avoid as it can cause vertigo, but even when i don't eat chocolate i still have vertigo, so what the hecksmile

• Posted

Hi Anne ask about CT neck scan ,couldn't believe they sent results to Drs ,and they didn't tell me you've got 2 neck bones out ,dr gave me the results to give osteopath ,as she didn't know what the scan meant ,she said he would ,he did ask how long I'd been complaining about bad neck to a dr ,told him over 8 years ,he shook his head .Painful to put them back in line ,but small price pain wise to get them back .

Got to be all nose and throat linked ,as we've all had eye problems ,why isent some bright spark in the NHS ,figuring all this out .

My tinnitus has been worst ever since this all started ,had that since 1996 ,but it's only since that virus all my troubles began ,I had eye test back in Jan ,my 3 rd in 8years eyes are fine ,so that's not the problem ,eye pressure was good optician  said .ruled that out as cause .MRI didn't show a neuroma ,for the tinnitus increase ,ruled that out Is a virus at bottom of it still ,is that still in my system after all this time ????

Darren said he felt better on holiday ,see how you feel .

I don't know how you both manage your work life ,Drs got no idea how bad this is .Morgages and bills still need paying for .Take my hat off to you both .

I take Migraleve for allergy headaches ,only one if come lunchtime and still facial pain .does ease it better than a paracetamol . 

Wear ear plugs on plane ,keep them handy in your handbag. But do wear them ,even if you go clubbing .hope you and hubby have good rest up .

xx

• Posted

I don't eat chocolate never been fond of it ,even as a kid ,was told dark choc is good for blood pressure ,so maybe I should go for odd bit ,I take beeetroot juice for BP as that's a good thing .Now my husband would sell his soul for chocolate ,he's the one with the sweet tooth .so if you still get Virtigo ,eating choc go for it ,got little else making us feel good .
    • Posted

Hi Anne, on the neck thing I rub Magnesium oil on my neck, temples or whatever is sore or acny.  It absorbs really well, and you can take it too as it's pure. ,sometimes magnesium deficiency can come into things. Google it nd and you'll see the brands as don't think I,m allowed to mention them on here.n Also for the hay fever stuff another Good thing is Saline spray.  I use it every morning and night before bed.clears out the nasal passages and you can have a good blow!  I take ibuprofen too when my neck is bad and do some neck relieving exercises.  
    • Posted

thanks Gillian for the recommend, i will google and get some to see if it helps.

• Posted

That's ok.  I keep a 'box of tricks' just to alleviate symptoms.  The Mag Oil is long,lasting so although not cheap is reasonable as it lasts a long time.  she for the nasal spray which you will find in a well known chemist! Just ask for th Natural sea water nasal spray
    • Posted

Hi Anne ,how did holiday go .Ive not been on here in a while ,things still the same ,was laid up with a bug going around for close on a month ,wiped me out .thats gone ,but I'm still Hissing away ,wonder how Darren's getting on .

Best wishes  hope your  okay .

• Posted

Hi Darren ,how's things with you ,any better ? Let's know okay ,not been on here for past few weeks ,No change here .
    • Posted

Hi Marlene

got back from greece last sunday.  Wore ear plugs on the flight but took them out when landing as problem getting the plane down due to turbulance, concerns about landing safely overtook concerns about dizziness, otherwise was OK and not dizzy .  Back from holiday and a week lately after feeling quite well past week, dizziness back today and ongoing stiff neck, and ongoing stiff neck

• Posted

Hi Marlene

I started this post about 3 months ago and since then I could feel myself getting better to the point where I was thinking I was feeling pretty good and then about 4 weeks ago, I was floored again. It just came out of nowhere, I was doing nothing vigorous and I was in a good frame of mind but bam I was back to square one again with all the anxiety that comes with it but gradually I've started to feel better again just taking one at a time. In fact today, I've been feeling pretty good. So this seems to be the pattern with me at the moment,

I must admit I have been trying to get plenty of rest so I've been hitting the sack for 10.30pm. No reading before I go to sleep or watching TV and that seems to help me feel less groggy and tired the next day. I do start yawning in the afternoon though..lol

• Posted

Anne, how do you feel when you are queuing at passport control or checking in , do you feel like you are kind of swaying?
    • Posted

Hi Darren

when i first started with this malarkey i was so exhausted i would be in bed by 8.30 pm.  Now i try to get to bed for 10.30 also except for when i'm day off work and can have a lie in.  I feel my wonky vision has improved a lot recently but am relucatant to say i've improved when work colleagues ask as the next  day i can be back to dizzy, so just say 'it fluctuates' now when asked, saves us all

• Posted

Trying to type on this site is a problem tonight, keeps missing parts of the text.  I get more swaying at the supermarket and can't say i've noticed it much at the airport, although get a bit of a sway when walking on patterned floor at gatwick. 

• Posted

Hi was hoping the holiday would have been a good thing. Did you manage to get around okay ,walking wise .? Weird how it's there again and neck ache ,I'm on TT site ,lots say about the neck ache and having tinnitus .is the neck where it begins this balance ,same with the eyes.im fed up with it day in and out as we all are .hope your week gets better Anne xx
    • Posted

Hi Darren ,like me and Anne then ,not a end to it ,think on Saturday ,I thought the balance was happier ,cooked a roast dinner ,not done that in months ,due to the long standing up to do it ,but completed it .Sunday hey back full belt .the anxiety I detests ,jive gone on to the Vits B12 ,can't take the B6 don't agree with me ,I'm going to try magnesium  bisglycinate ,i was told about .Last time I spoke to you ,you had a bad spell at work. 

I don't go to bed till 2 am but then don't get up till about 10 am ,my. Evenings become my days .Mind I can have quick 40 winks some afternoons  let's all it Siesta time on a bad head / tinnitus day .Takecare xx

• Posted

Many thanks Marlene, hope yours does too.  Just off to work.  Taken all my vitamins etc.,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.