I've just been hit for six again

Posted , 5 users are following.

I really can’t believe it. I was actually starting to feel a lot better over the last few weeks. I was de-stressing myself, my anxiety was curbed, I have been going in and out of stores that I usually find unpleasant, been to a restaurant a few times, a pub and generally been more active. I said to myself “Dar you’re getting better mate”, I was feeling really good and was looking forward to a game of badminton I was going to have that night…..and then it hit me !!

For no apparent reason at all. I was stood at my office front door, getting some fresh air and then I was completely overwhelmed with vertigo. If completely floored me. I didn’t fall down, but it was one of those where I had to sit down on the floor because leaning on something wasn’t going to cut it. (This has happened before when I was home in my kitchen about a year ago). I did nothing to provoke it, I was in a good frame of mind, I was just looking aimlessly out towards the car park and then whamm!! Have some of that !!

In less than a minute I was back on my feet and then back at my desk but with that lovely foggy head feeling you get when you get vertigo, a bit nauseated and a little off balanced, which I still have it 24 hours later. My confidence has been knocked again and I am back to being careful.

I wouldn’t say I’ve gone back to square one, I would say more like square ten (I know what square one feels like and that feels vile) but a setback none the less. I was able to continue with my day with no drama and I drove home with no problems. It’s just this horrible brain fog. I’ve taken Annadins but they don’t seem to work.

I did play badminton and that was alright, but the head fog, off balance and I guess the exercise itself totally spaced me out.

Oh well 3 steps forwards, 2 steps backwards !!

1 like, 73 replies

73 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks for posting your experience. I began experiencing vertigo last September and, like you, it would hit me out of nowhere. For the next 11 months the spells came and went. Sometimes I went as long as 4 weeks with nothing accept an occasional sensation that never manifested into an actual spell.  I saw doctors and had tests and it was diagsoed as BPPV. I developed horrible anxiety and more so because I had been working hard for a year prior to the vertigo taking classes to get into a highly competive program. when the vertigo began, I continued to work toward my goal at which I succeeded. I was accepted into the program and began at the end of september. As a mom of 3 kids, I was worried but decided to go for it and fulfill my dream. Then the vertigo stopped a month and a half before the program began! I would occasionally have a sensation but it would not progress into a vertigo spell. My anxiety cleared and I felt that I had "healed." The program has been stressful but inspite of it all I have been nearly 4 monts vertigo free!!! Then out of NOWHERE... It hit me while walking down a hallway at my intern job, just 4 days ago. Fortunately, it was not severe and I was able to find my way to the bathroom quickly without anyone finding out. I had another mild one last night. I'm not at square one, as you stated, but I feel defeated and concerned. Your post gave me some hope. I'm glad your pushing through regardless of your vertigo. It inspires me....I refuse to cave in to this. Keep us posted as to your victories :-)
    • Posted

same here, it all kicked off for me last september.  It was at its worst when it first started but i think now when i have recurrences i recover more quickly because of learning to compensate as they call it.

• Posted

Hiya Anne and Jamie ,and Darren ( if looking in )talking to a dr today ,look up ,Endolymphatic hydrops ,as to our balance prob ,Anne you may have heard about it as we have tinnitus .this is the 2 nd time it's been mentioned to me ,now by a dr in ENT .

How have you and Darren been doing ,in past couple weeks .? Me wll same old going on ,nothing improved .

• Posted

Wow...so nice to know I'm not alone, although I would never wish it on anybody. How often do you get a spell? What's the longest period of time that you have gone without a vertigo spell? And when you say you recover more quickly does that mean that the vertigo spell only last seconds or that they are more mild? I have noticed that the two spells I have had this week were more mild.
    • Posted

I mean they are milder, they can last for days, then i can have a week without, once i thought it was gone for good as i had about 3 weeks without and then it came back. It's always there in the background, but now i'm also having trouble with my right shoulder and pain down my upper arms combined with neck stiffness, don't know if this is something else or all related.  I am going to see an osteopath in the hope that i can get my neck /spine realigned, cos i think rather than this all being related to my BPPV it could be realted to my neck/back problem, but it's anybodys guess really.  I would like to answer in more detail but this site keeps losing my posts as i typesmile

• Posted

Hi Marlene  just googled it.  I think keeping hydrated is important.  I do like salt and sugar, there isn't much more i can give up, so i'm not giving up sugar as well.  My shoulder is really sore lately.  I seem to go from one ache and pain to have it reappear somewhere else.  I am trying to improve my posture.  There's so many things to remember.  I've found that Ibuprofen is no longer much of a help either but apparently that can also cause dizziness.  Seems everything can cause dizziness.  Did you ever try the 7UP?

• Posted

Hi Anne ,expect your tucked up in bed ,done the 7 up Anne didn't do anything ,but hey gave it a try .I drink a lot of water 4 x 50mls a day plus ,not salt,due to blood pressure.i get this bad neck ache ,I'm going to see if it's wheat etc ,told to keep a food ,drink diary ,then start taking stuff out.Somethings at the root of it all Anne. But why so many of us seem to have it is beyond me ,3 yrs this month me with this balance .I know Ibuprofen not good  ,on pkt they say dizziness ,plus not good for BP .

My tinnitus has been hell of late  ,with the neck ache and rhinitis going ,so give this food diary a go ,see if there's a link ,that site I'm on has been most helpful Anne ,lots of threads going on ,all what we talk about on here.

Boots Deep freeze I use ,the rub .if it's not one thing it's something else ,never free of anything these days .You still struggling at work ? Your holiday must seem ages ago .Stay in touch Anne let's know how things go on .hope shoulder eases off .Wonder if Darren doing any better .? chat soon ,hope your week goes better .

• Posted

Hello Marlene.....To be honest my anxiety with all this tosh got so bad about 10 days ago, I got some tablets off the doc (Fluoxetine). I really didn't want to but I felt so spaced out, I had to do something. Feeling a bit better again now though. Since Monday I have also given up tea and coffee to see if that helps get rid of my headaches and I am drinking more water.
    • Posted

thanks Marlene

saw GP about pain in my shoulder, neck and he px some stronger pain killers and says its a trapped nerve from abnormal bone in neck on MRI scan.  Has referred me to physio but not sure as it was a physio crunching down on my spine last year like a sumo wrestler that i think may have started all my dizziness.  Trying to type on this site is really difficult, not sure if its my computer.

• Posted

I would avoid the physio!! go to a good osteopath who doesn,t crunch bones,
    • Posted

Hi your having the worst time ,think anxiety and the balance is the pits to get through a day with ,hope the tablets work ,just be wary of what they give you ,don't want you getting this tinnitus ,ototoxic be careful of ,lots end up with tinnitus because of it ,so check  it out ,it's in meds .

Yes drink lots of water ,good for headaches so cranial osteopath said to me. Before paracetamol he said .reach for water ,first . I do 4/5 bottles of 50 mls a day . Hope your be okay .

Any reason to anxiety ? Or. Is it the balance doing it ,as it can .Stressing condition it is .Stay warm ,and get plenty of sleep in .Stay in touch lets know how your doing okay X. 

• Posted

Hi Anne ,so you had bone out as me ,had my 2 from scan put back in. In Febuary  but think I'd been complaining some 8 yrs ,think arthritis has set in where left to long ,still agony with it ,my balance began after going to an osteopath for my sinuses  on a Saturday. On the following  Monday balance began .out of nowhere .So you could well be right in how it began  I always say you just know when things begin .Must make your job hard .My like Darren ,you have to work .Never known so many people ill .hope your get rid of it soon ,I'd. Go for a good massage a few times ,see if that would be better for you .Darren could do with some of that to ,helps take anxiety down ,all round muscle relaxer .xxx
    • Posted

Agree, i've been thinking of cancelling the physio referral (must have read my mind) and thought i'd be better off seeing an osteopath. 

• Posted

Yes shame they aren't NHS, but make sure you tell them no crunching bones! They don,t have to.
    • Posted

Will do.  A colleague at work today gave me a lovely head and back massage, she has trained in massage. It was only for about 5 mins.  It was lovely and afterwards i felt much more supple, unfortunately the effects only last a short while but just shows how much improvement can be gained in a short burst.  I am also going to join a pilates or yoga class in the new year as need some gentle exercise.  I mentioned it to my gp who said 'i always get worried when people tell me they're going to start exercising, you're not going to start weight lifting are you & pumping iron?'  I laughed and said 'i wouldn't be able to, i'll start slowly and work my way up'.  I mentioned to him when he said he would refer me to the physio again that I thought the episode i had with physio last year might have triggered my vertigo.  He said not unless she was really rough with you.  I didn't answer 'well actually she was'.  I know i might be a bit of a wuss but that was excessive and having visited an osteopath in the past i have never experience such a severe pounding as i did by the physio which knocked the wind out of me.

• Posted

Hi Marlene

what did you mean by 'put back in' regarding your bone?  The GP said i had an abnormal bone in my neck which is causing a trapped nerve.  It's not a disc problem, i don't think. He said it was probably a 'birth defect' whatever that means, think he means i was born with some abnormality.

• Posted

You should have said exactly that !, doesn,t hurt to let them Know when a therapist is heavy handed., otherwise they will not know or understand your hesitancy I. Going back.  I,m all for telling ,y GP the truth regardless of whether he wants to hear it or not! 
    • Posted

I agree, but having mentioned it to the ENT consultants they have said it was very unlikely, I also mentioned it to my previous GP who said same and besides which even if she did i can't prove it but i should have as it is the same physio i will probably be referred back to, hence my hesitation in going back for more of the same.  I will just see the osteopath.  My friend also saw a physio who broke her pelvic bone during a manoeuver.  I have nothing against physio's per say, who also do great work, but i am just saying this was my experience and my concern giving the timing of my vertigo starting so soon after physio and with my dodgy neck bone feel even more convinced something got dislodged/aggravated.  I don't actually blame the physio as at that time i hadn't had the MRI done that showed the abnormality in my neck bone so who was to know apart from my symptoms of neck and back pain.   There is a lot of research though that shows sometimes vertigo can be caused by neck and spine problems but as i didn't have vertigo until a week after the physio you can see why i think the two might be connected.

• Posted

Hi Anne ,the Ct scan last Oct/Nov showed up 2bones out of alignment ,no feedback ,till I mentioned to my Dr last Feb again about this neck ache ,she looked up Hsp on her comp ,told me scan showed up these 2 neck bones ,took this print out to an osteopath next day ,he couldn't believe how long I'd had them like they were.This new osteopath put them back in ,won't lie it was painful putting them back ,lot of pressure i could hear them go back in .

Like I said Anne I only had balance trouble 2 days after I saw an osteopath for my sinuses,3 yrs prior ,the last osteopath said it may be now I suffer arthritis ,as it was left so long .hey but still got balance trouble ,so I'm dubious about treatments around the neck /head area. Be careful Anne don't want further probs for you to crop up .that said I've had neck pain since that head virus 9 yrs ago ,but this balance began after that osteopaths 1st visit ,never had it prior .loose faith in a lot of things these days .You know how you are no one else who haven't got your issues ,your work colleagues want to read these post .Who wants this ,they wouldn't if were them ,and could be them so easily .so long to get put back to rights .Birth defect you said that's a cop out when they know nothing ,easy diagnosis to make on there part .

• Posted

Yes a. With you on all this Anne.  I have found that ENT people will,often ,deny' things, have had my bellyful of that.  My dizziness started after having my ears syringed.   It was really painful and I to.d the nurse who,was doing it at the time. But she just ignored me.  that has been discounted by gp and ENT.m Also on the neck thing I know for a fact that it can cause diZinness and this is why I have no faith in see people anymore as they just discount all we say u less we can prove it. Which they know we can,t.  some good physics,mid hey know you have. Eco and back pain go very, very gently to begin with , but obviously yours wasn,t a good one so no I wouldn,t touch her/him agai. With a bargepole.  have a look at the Brain nd Spine Foundation and sign up for their new.etter, they have stuff on there about neck etc
    • Posted

Hiya Gill,I'm with you on what you've told Anne ,tell it as it is ,maybe stop others looking on these different forums ,ending up as we all have .

You know when these things began ,were not kids here talking end of the day.what a right mess these so called treatments can then go on and mess you up further .thats my honest opinion to it ,bad choices I say ,so I'm wary ,very wary ,how I'm left now ,as yourselves here talking .

I've got that Brain and Spine booklet ,22 pages ,and it's free ,good info that's printed .   

• Posted

Agree Marlene, and also what they forget Is the time all this takes, waiting another 3-4 months to go back and tell them nothing's changed.  2 appointments and the  best part of a year has gone just like that!
    • Posted

Yes Gillian the spine foundation is a good site about problems that cause dizziness.  I have always suspected it is all connected.  I have bought an infra red massager from amazon today as a friend at work brought theirs in today for us to use and it did help.  I am hopeful that with time this shoulder pain will resolve itself.  Staff are never going to admit, as you say, unless you can prove it, and how can we do that.  It also seems more than a coincidence that having your ears painfully syringed didn't do any damage when they are so delicate.

• Posted

Yes agree Anne, about the ear syringe, but my gp looked In it And said 'oh no your eardrum is fine' and discount ted it,  but it does ,t take much to,upset he balance I. The ear as you say it is so delicate.  Am interested to know details on the infrared massager, are hey expensive, wouldn,t mind one of those as I found whe. I went to the physio nurse at my practice with terrible neck Nd shoulder pain,,she used an ultra sound one and it did more than any physio or exercises ever did..
    • Posted

Yes, ultra sound was great for my neck years ago.  I was told the reason i couldn't lift my neck was because i had a 'virus' in it.  I had never heard of such and thought it strange but she did the ultrasound and it improved dramatically & rapidly.  I might try and look into this again as it is something i have been thinking about also.  I don't know if i can post the link to the massager that i order today but it is on amazon for £27.  I'll try and find the link.

• Posted

.I just looked and here are different kinds, so. It sure which one would be best.  
    • Posted

Beurer MG40 Infrared Massager With Rotating Head, think it comes with free delivery.

• Posted

Hey Gill remember when I had that frozen shoulder 6/7 weeks ago ,osteopath used similar on my shoulder ,felt the change in the pain .

Hey Anne I'd go for that as treatment .Just don't let anyone pull you around .

Yea may invest in one myself .Will look them up,expect Baz would get the benifit to .

• Posted

Yes I think so too. I. Fact the nurse I saw was great and she said discreetly that this ultra sound treatment was as good as anything and didn,t have much to say about the exerercises!!
    • Posted

Hi Marlene, i didn't really know what he meant by 'birth defect' regarding my neck bone.  I will have to go back and ask but when i told a colleague at work the GP said this he asked 'how were you born?' and started getting all scientific about different birth procedures as if he was some kind of gynaecologist.   I have also been prx Naproxen which one of our doctors says will ruin my kidneys but it really has helped take the edge of the pain so i can continue working and driving.  It's hard to know what to do for the best sometimes but at least i am more comfortable on naproxen (NSAID stronger than ibuprofen but same as).  The GP said i need something stronger than Ibuprofen and it is working better but shouldn't be used long term.  I also don't fancy anyone manipulating my neck bones in case they cause more harm than good, so whatever treatments i decide upon they will be very conservative.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.