I've Just Been Put On Venlafaxine For Depression. Is It Any Good???

Posted , 9 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hello,

I have put a few posts on here & tried LOTS of different medications for depression, anxiety & tension migrane headaches.

The latest one is venlafaxine 75MG

Please can anyone tell me how they are getting on with this drug. Side effects, how effective & if it may have helped at all. Anything i need all the help i can get.

As we all know it's very scary strating a new drug & feeling so low & desperate to start with.

Please help if you can

Butterfly x

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi , I have been on this 2 months now for panic attacks and it's been a total god send smile I started on 75mg then upped to 150mg, u might feel them goin into ur system first few weeks .. I was sweating and felt sick but it all passes.. Take them with food. Good luck u will be fine xx
    • Posted

Hi Jackie my Ven was increased to 150 12 days ago.  I too am sweating and feeling sick but worse than that I just can't bring myself to do anything and I am spending most of the time on the settee.

I was on 75 Ven for 10 years and it was fantastic but unfortunately it stopped working and the GP has tried me on  various meds and as a last result she put me back on Ven.  She thought that as I had had a break it should work.  So far it isn't.  I know you have to give it time and I wondered how long it took for you to feeel better.  Do you have depression too?

• Posted

Hi Patricia I actually felt same I was spaced and lay about but it's now in my system and feeling great, did take about 2 weeks there.. Give it another couple of days , I find them great now I'm past the weird wiped out feeling, I'm on them for panic attacks, that I suppose did make me very low, I find now I'm so more easy goin more patience abs definatly massive difference with panic attacks so such a bonus smile xx
    • Posted

Thanks Jackie for replying.  I must give this drug time so I will keep my fingers rcossed.  I just hope I have your experience.

Pat

• Posted

Hello Butterfly

I am so sorry to read that you are unwell, and I hope I may be able to help a little.

I took venlafaxine for about eleven years.  There is no doubt that it rapidly improved my depression, which was quite severe, and that it kept the black dog at bay for that time.  The only side effect that I experienced was that it tended to make me sick, about two hours after I took it.  It was a small price to pay.  I don't know how long you have been taking venlafaxine, but I understand that it takes at least two weeks to start to work in most people.  If you are on 75mg, I guess that you have only just recently started taking it.

Hang in there!  It ALWAYS gets better.

Another thing that has helped me were a couple of books: 'I had a Black Dog', and 'Living with a Black Dog', both by Matthew Johnstone. The second one is designed for carers/ partners of the person with depression, but in some ways I found this more useful.  People with depression apparently see things more pictorially than in words, and these books were written (or rather drawn) by a fellow sufferer, who has somehow managed to capture just how it is for most of us who suffer from it.  They are very simple, but the message is very positive, and makes you realise that you are absolutely not alone.

My GP recommended them to me, and I hope they might help you.

You can buy them on Amazon, but your local library may be able to help.

Jackie is right - you will be fine. xx

• Posted

Hello,

And thank you so so much for reading and replying to my message. I feel so desperate & feel i have nobody in this world i can talk to ( no actually i don't have anyone).

I really do feel i will do something to myself if i don't get better soon sad.

I have taken my first tablet this morning. x

• Posted

Hi, 3 years ago I was where yoy are now. After trying several prescribed drugs that failed, I was so low and desperate I asked my GP to put me in hospital. He couldn't do that but I was assigned a Psychiatrist. He prescribed Venlafaxine. It took several weeks to work and I really thought I wasn't going to make it. I spent day after day in bed, didn't want to wash or dress. But gradually the drug worked and bit by bit I got my life and personality back. They were the longest days of my life. Honestly there is light at the end of the tunnel. Depression cuts us off from the world, How I wished I had known about these forums before. There is always someone reading these messages and most of us have been in these dark places. When you feel desperate post a message.
  • Posted

Hi,

There are a few side effects to watch for, which I have experienced.  My dose was increased up from 150 to 225.  It made my heart race which in turn caused dizziness and could also be quite frightening at times.  I would suggest if possible to have regular appointments with your GP to monitor for this, as although I wasn't told about it at the time it is a well known side effect.

Fingers crossed it works well for you.  Good luck. X

• Posted

Hello Butterfly

Life is too precious to throw it away, so if you can just hang on until the medication takes effect, you will get better. It may seem an eternity to you now, but it really isn't a long time. If you have only started the venlafaxine today, it is still very early days.  But there really is a light at the end of the tunnel - and you WILL recover. 

Does your doctor know that you are so dreadfully distressed and ill?  Perhaps tell him/ her?  Especially if you are thinking of hurting yourself. 

No-one can do it all on their own, and there are people out there that can help you, even if you feel too vulnerable to ask for their help. 

You have my absolute sympathy - I have been there too, and it is a place of total hell - but as I said before - it really DOES get better, and you WILL be fine.

You will soon be able to regain your confidence, and have a productive and happy life again. 

The Samaritans can be helpful, especially through the long night, but you can always write to me through this site.  I'll keep an eye out for your messages.

Rest, and keep warm and well fed, if you can. Try not to rely on alcohol - it doesn't help.  A gentle walk might be good, too, if you can face the outside world.  It gives you an endorphin burst, and that always makes you feel a bit better.

I shall be thinking of you, Butterfly, take care xx

• Posted

Hello,

And thank you to everyone that has replied.

Yes i was crying in the surgery this morning and am in a very bad way i just don't know where to turn. I did also say i wishv i was dead. So i really do hope these tablets help.

I have taken sertraline, citalapram, prozac, amitryptiline in the past with no joy so here i am at square one once again.

Again many thanks for all comments & helping me through this terrible time smile x

• Posted

Hello! Mine is another vote in favour of venlafaxine - although you do need to give it a few weeks to start working.  I was put on it after seroxat was no longer working.  I take 225mg daily and there's only one side effect i have - it interferes with my sexlife! However, I manage to get round that by carefully timing when i take the tablets. I would say that venlafaxine has saved my sanity, and enabled me to take other steps to control my anxiety and lift my depression - such as getting out and meeting people, CBT, doing relaxation breathing, working on positive thoughts, etc. - which I couldn't do when I was in the depths of despair.  In my opinion, medication by itself isn't the complete answer - but it can "take the edge off the agony" so that you can work with other therapies.  I hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi Pixie,

How many weeks did it take before you felt any different?  I am struggling with chronic anxiety, had it for just over 18 months.  Was on venlalic hard capsules slow release 225mg.  In weeks 5 - 6 I discovered the pills were not dispersing any of the medication.  This was a repeat prescription and the tablets came from spain.  I don't know if I was receiving any medication for the first 4 weeks when I was on British tablets.  I am now in day 11 of the soft gel slow release capsules 225mg and feel more anxious and panicky.  It would really help to know how these worked for you and what I can expect.  Feeling pretty desperate at the moment. 

Thanks

I am so glad to hear that they are working for you

• Posted

Hello Pixie,

It really is a lot of help because everytime i get a reply it's making me more hopeful & positive. So many, many thanks for your message.

I will keep you posted on my progress x

• Posted

Hi there, Pixie is so right. It will get better, filling your days till it does is the hardest thing. My Doc referred me to a day centre. The staff weren't much help but it really helped to talk to others that were at different stages of recovery. Keep taking the pills.

Lizzy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.