I've made my decision

Posted , 9 users are following.

After 3 months, guys, I have made the decision to come off Mirtazapine. I was prescribed it for anxiety, and it's not making me less anxious, so I am afraid it has to go. I am sick to death of it literally knocking me out, and being rendered a zombie if I don't sleep 10-12 hours. I could literally wake up after a good 8 hours sleep, and will still spend all day yawning. I just don't think it's worth it anymore. 

2 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am interested in this 10% thing, but I don't know how to do it. I am in the UK, I am only given my 15mg in tablet form; I don't know how I am meant to make that into 13.5, 11.75, etc. etc.

• Posted

We'll help you out.  I will see if Evergreen will chime in on how she did her homemade liquid.  Calmer got the liquid version from her doc, which is available in the UK, but some docs just won't prescribe it, insisting that you should just be able to come off how you've been trying.

So, the crux of your homemade liquid is that you will need to go to your chemist and get some stuff to begin.  You will need a way to measure milliliters, either smaller measuring cups with ml markings, or a couple of different sized syringes.  A 10 ml syringe would be good, as well as a 3 ml syringe or similar.

Place a piece of wax paper or equivalent on your work surface to catch any crumbs that fall, something that the bits or powder will slide off of easily.  Place your tablet between two spoons, one inside the first spoon and the second spoon placed over it so that you can crush the tablets between them.  MIrt tablets are not very soluble in water, so you will want to crush the tablets up as fine as you can.  You can also see about a pill grinder at the chemist, but they tend to leave a lot of the tablet stuck to the grinder.

Dump all the powder into a small jar with a lid.  You will want to put the powder in and then add about 8 ml of water.  Swirl and get the powder wetted.  Add the 7 ml of syrup, pancake or Karo or such, something thick, to the solution.  Put the lid on and mix well - shake it up good.  This will be your 1 mg/ml solution.  You will need to withdraw the amount you WON'T be taking rapidly before things have a chance to settle.  So, your first 10% would be removing 1.5 ml.

Add water to the amount you will be taking and shake up again.  Drink all of that.  Add more water to the jar, shake again, and drink that.  Repeat until you think the jar is pretty clean.  Now you've consumed your dose.

Now, sometimes people will have symptoms switching to the liquid version because there's something about the absorption that is different.  That is why it is best to switch to the same amount in liquid that you've been taking in the tablet form, rather than reducing at the same time as switching.

MIrt liquid only lasts up to four days, so you could make two or three days' worth at a time, and refrigerate the rest, covering the jar in foil to protect it from light.

After a month at one dose, you can do the next cut of 10% based on the previous month's dosage.  So if you went to 13.5 from 15, your next cut would be 12.2 ml (rouding to the nearest easy amount to measure).

• Posted

Great post Betsy.

CT is so difficult because the nervous system is thrown into chaos, I'm so keen to spread the word of doing a slow taper, but only you can decide what's right for you David.  Yes it will take longer but doing the slow method avoids all the pitfalls of insomnia, nausea, ibs, (58 WD symptoms are listed !! and then there are more).  I think the worst outcome of CT is the fact that hitting rock bottom, being worse than before taking the med' is not only so dibilitating, but it puts the sufferer into a zero confidence pit, not knowing if they are sane having lost all their confidence in their ability to recover - most of these folk end up back at the doctors being 'trialed' on another AD, leading to further ongoing suffering ... soap box time over.

Betsy & myself are trying to pass on the advice of slow tapering, having suffered ourselves and knowing what is the kindest method for the nervous system, here is my explanation of tapering  on a previous page: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mirtazapine-tapering-simplified-510495

If you decide to take Betsy's advice (and I would advise this also) I would chat to your doctor telling him/her that you would like the Mirtazapine Sol Tabs, they are easier to make a dilution with.  Although your doc' shouldn't really refuse you, state it is your choice to taper this way, but failing that the crushing tablet method is the next best thing.

Although liquid is available, you will need a very sympathetic doctor to get it, the bottle only last 6 weeks after which the med is supposed to lose its' potency, although I have pushed it out to 8 weeks.  So you see, many bottles will be needed, especially when you get low on the dosage (I am at 3.15 mg, doing 5% cut every 2 weeks, a little kinder to the system than 10% drops every 4 weeks).  Yes I have been lucky to get the liquid, but I think it is due to the doctors not having time/or the notion to change the repeat prescription!  Also worth a mention, I tried a 7% drop and acquired belly gripes that woke me up, so I went back to 5% drops.

Betsy & myself will be around for quite a while yet David, here to help you should you need it.

Best wishes. 

• Posted

For the homemade liquid you need a pill grinder, a 1ml syringe with 0.1ml markings, A small bottle, An acurate measuring jug or container, some maple syrup or similar flavouring.I made 60ml each time. Each ml = 1mg of mirtazapine.

Grind up 4 x 15mg mirtazapine pills using the pill grinder. If you have the normal pills, the pill coating does not grind so fine as the mirtazapine inside, but don't worry about that. Measure out 30 ml of water and mix in 30ml of maple syrup. Put into bottle and shake. Pour in the mirt and shake. Keep in the fridge for up to two weeks. Shake vigorously before using syringe to measure the required amount of the liquid. 1ml = 1mg of mirt, so very easy to do. The mirt does not disolve which is why you have to shake the bottle well each time you dose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.