I've made my decision

Posted , 9 users are following.

After 3 months, guys, I have made the decision to come off Mirtazapine. I was prescribed it for anxiety, and it's not making me less anxious, so I am afraid it has to go. I am sick to death of it literally knocking me out, and being rendered a zombie if I don't sleep 10-12 hours. I could literally wake up after a good 8 hours sleep, and will still spend all day yawning. I just don't think it's worth it anymore. 

2 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just an update, guys.

I spoke to my GP today, and because I have only been on Mirtazapine 15mg for 3-4 months, the tapering process for me is as follows.

For 2 weeks, I take half  of a 15mg pill a night. Then, after I have done that, I take half a 15mg pill every other night, and do that for 2 weeks, so that takes me up to 4 weeks. Then, on week 5, I come off them altogether. So, for me, the entire tapering process will last one month.

• Posted

And so it begins...

For the past 3 nights, I have only taken half a 15mg pill, as instructed by my doctor. Tonight, will be my fourth. So, I am nearing the one week point. I have no nausea, no diarrhoea, nothing dehibilitating. I feel a slight tremor, though, especially in my arms and my hands. My body does not appear to be shaking, but I feel as if it is. I feel a bit emotional, as well, like I could cry, even though nothing has gone on to warrant it. Alas, I carry on. I will continue to let you all know how I get on. I tell myself that the key is 'it will go away, you just have to wait, it will go away.'

• Posted

I'm doing the same 8th night tonight on 7.5mg. Having to use a pill cutter ss I've got 30mg. No withdrawal at all but I don't sleep so well. I did feel a bit like you after a couple of days dropping to 15mg restful etc but tended to dwell on my father's death earlier this year.

Good luck.

• Posted

If you have cut from 15, that's a big 50% cut, so hang out there for a good long time until you feel really stable.  It takes four days for a dosage change to reach a steady state in the blood, and then a few more for the nervous system to decide what it is going to do about it.  If things come undone, updose by a quarter tablet and see if that helps.  Never cut if feeling symptoms.

• Posted

Ugh, predictive text, tearful not restful, lol.  I wish!!  However, regarding restful and anxiety I have been reading up about lemon balm on an osteoporosis site and she is dead against benzos and anti depressants of course because of the affect it has on bones.  There have been some studies with lemon balm and it is supposed to induce calmness, so I bought some decent capsules and some teabags.
    • Posted

Let us know how it works, Elaine.  I ordered a tincture but haven't used it, yet, because I haven't had much in the way of anxiety.  Just wanted to have it on hand in case.  I also ordered some seads to grow my own to dry for tea.

• Posted

Day 5, not doing too bad today. Has anyone ever had muscle twitching all over their body on Mirt?
    • Posted

Will do Betsy. To be honest I am always skeptical about these supplements. I was very enthusiastic about some strong turmeric capsules but I still have to be careful with doing jobs like gardening as my back kills. I also am on high dose of vitamin d which can cause bone pain. Also had a feeling the mirtazaoine were exacerbating it. Woke up this morning and everything hurt which was a puzzle. I did eat blackberries and strawberries last night so maybe it was the oxalic acid or whatever it is didn't help.

• Posted

Not twitching but stiffness although it might not be the mirtazapine.
    • Posted

So, last night was my 5th half 15mg pill. I went to sleep as usual. Woke up quite early this morning, though, shivering and feel especially cold. Even though my skin felt warm to the touch. I tossed and turned for another while and then eventually fell asleep again. The sooner this is over and done with, the better off I will be.
    • Posted

Proceed carefully, since rebound insomnia is a real problem with coming off too fast.  Temperature regulation issues are also a withdrawal symptom, along with nausea, diarrhea, headaches, and more.  If you are having withdrawal symptoms, don't continue cutting until you feel more normal.

• Posted

I dunno what to do. I have managed a week, I don't want to turn back now. I also have symptoms like the flu.

• Posted

Well, if you are suffering enough to not want to push through, then updose by 1/4 so that you are taking 3/4 of a tablet, 11.25 mg, and see if you can handle that level more easily.  If not, you'll have to either get the liquid version or make your own, and do a more gentle taper off.  For sensative types like me, that's 10% every 3-4 weeks, based on the previous month's dosage.

• Posted

Do you still take it Betsy? Or are you as I would put it 'a mirt survivor'? Lol

• Posted

I wish I could say I was a mirt survivor, David, but alas I am still tapering.  I had gone all the way up to 37.5 mg but have tapered down to 11.5 mg.   On the withdrawal forum I am on, there are lots of casualties of fast tapering wtih people developing severe insomnia, so I am going cautiously downward.  Plus, I have a failed attempt at coming off Effexor under my belt, so my nervous system is quite sensitized to changes.  It's going very well,

though.

I make my own liquid using the soluble tabs, mixed with water and suspension vehicle that keeps the mirt suspended.  I make a 1 mg/ml solution and then dose with an oral syringe.  

• Posted

These are withdrawal symptoms - flu-like symptoms are a well-known AD WD symptom.  It won't be turning to up-dose slightly.  Turning back would be going back to 15.  If hanging tough leads to failutre and reinstatement to the original dose, that will make your efforts so far a true waste of time.  So, if you up-dose slightly to get yourself more comfortble and then do a slower, gentler taper, you will get there while remaining functional along the way.  People sometimes think that going slower will mean being in withdrawal much longer, but that's not how it works.  Tapering fast means that all your healing will have to happen after you go off the drug, and protracted withdrawal can last months or longer.  Doing a slow taper means staying comfortable and functional while coming off, and getting the healing done WHILE you taper, so when you finally jump off, there's little left for the CNS to do to finish healing.  The former way has brought many to their knees and back on full-strength meds.  Look for Calmer's posts; she's been doing the 10% taper of mirt and is down to around 3 mg without losing her sleep :-)

See the 10% topic in this thread:  https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.