I've made my decision

Posted , 9 users are following.

After 3 months, guys, I have made the decision to come off Mirtazapine. I was prescribed it for anxiety, and it's not making me less anxious, so I am afraid it has to go. I am sick to death of it literally knocking me out, and being rendered a zombie if I don't sleep 10-12 hours. I could literally wake up after a good 8 hours sleep, and will still spend all day yawning. I just don't think it's worth it anymore. 

2 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm the same, trying to wean myself off, started at 7.5mg and then incrreased to 15mg and then two weeks later to 30mg, that was in January and they even wanted me to increase to 45mg when I said 30mg was making me feel rough.  So the last two nights have been 7.5mg and hoping for the best.  I wasnt even depressed just a bit anxious but who wouldnt be after 13 weeks of non stop nausea and rapid heart beat and insomnia, but it is always put down to depression and/or anxiety, it's easier for them.  I also notice a kind of buzzing in my feet but again was told this is anxiety but strange how it's subsiding since I have been tapering off the drug.   It is not just the tangible side effects that worry me but the long term, like osteoporosis and depressed bone marrow.  I already have advanced osteoporosis and certainly dont want my bone marrow messed about.  Good luck David, hope you get off it without too many withdrawal symptoms.
    • Posted

It's funny you mention some of these things, Elaine. Since I started taking Mirtazapine I have had recurring pains in my forearms, my hands and fingers, and have a sore shoulder that refuses to get better. Do you think the Mirtazapine could be doing it?
    • Posted

I think it is worth considering.  I got a bit confused because I was also taking, still am, high doses of Vitamin D so wasnt sure if that was causing bone pain. Vitamin D apparently causes a build up between muscle and bone.  I do have osteoporosis and it said mild osteoarthritis in my hips.  When something creeps up on your gradually it is difficult but now looking back about a month ago I was in agony with shoulder pains in my shins, lower back and upper back and very stiff when I got out of bed.  These pains would stay with me all day and if I did any kind of chore, I felt like my back was being beaten with a baseball bat.  I cut the mirtazapine down to 15mg five weeks ago and on saturday started on 7.5mg.  I am not pain free but I definitely feel better pain wise and mentally.  The other thing is I have been taking turmeric, I got the best capsules because otherwise you cant get sufficient, it is supposed to be wonderful for any kind of inflammation.  I have been taking it for about two weeks so whether or not that has had an effect as well I dont know.

Another thing, when I was on the 30mg, apart from feeling down, I was feeling aggressive and I never use bad language but I have four cats which were getting on my nerves and I would not like to repeat the language!!  When I mentioned this to the psych team they said, we would only be worried if you were doing it outside the house in public!!!

I can honestly say the only thing it did help with was sleep, which is not so great now and I got a sugar craving, which I know is not good, but I did gain the 1.5 stone I lost when I was so nauseous, but unfortunately it has decided to just go to my stomach so Ive still got my scrawny arms but "love handles" !!

• Posted

Could also be a coincidence but I am not getting the fuzzing feeling in the soles of my feet so much, when I mentioned that, I was told it was anxiety but I never had it before.  I felt it could be neurological and coming from my spine as I fell down the stairs and hurt my back when all this was kicking off and was giving the mirtazapine.
  • Posted

I also wish you luck David.

I was and are always tired on Mirt and i get depressed from it and i wasn´t that before Mirt only anxious.

• Posted

Good luck. Hopefully since you haven't been on it long you won't have serious withdrawal symptoms from it. 
  • Posted

Hi David, 

I'm glad you're a smart guy and don't buy the anxiety explanation as it is BS.  This and all ADs mess with your neurochemistry, and your neurons are all throughout your body, not just your brain, so there are physical effects all over, feet included.

Just go carefully down.  YOu may be able to get down to 15 without too much trouble, though everyone is different.  I will say that the safest approach most able to assure success is to do 10% per month reductions there on out, based on the previous month's dosage.  Most folks aren't patient enough for that and cut bigger.  If you do that and run into big withdrawal symptoms, DO NOT PUSH THROUGH as this drug's withdrawal will only get worse and worse if you cut while already in withdrawal.  Instead, back up.  Let's say you got down to 15 no problem, but going to 7.5 mg throws you into bad withdrawal.  You might back up to 12 mg and sit there as long as it takes to feel ok again.  

How do you get such dosages?  Get the liquid from your doctor, or make your own.  Grind the pill up between two spoons with a piece of paper underneath to catch any that falls, with a creaes in it to make it easier to pour.  Put all the powder in a small container for mixing.  Get an oral syringe from your pharmacy/chemist and add as many mgs as your pill - 15 ml for 15 mg - to get a 1 mg/ml solution.   Shake very well before immediately drawing up the amount you are taking, ie. 12 ml.  This stuff is not soluble in water and will settle.  Evergreen on this forum used half pancake syrup and half water, seemed to help keep the Mirt in solution for measuring, plus make it taste better.

Ideally cuts shouldn't be made more often than once a month, to allow your nervous system to up-regulate and adjust to the new level of drug.  It takes four days for the nervous system to reach a steady state at the new level, and then a few weeks for it to modify and get solid with the up-regulation.  Then you can cut again.  You may still feel withdrawal but at a tolerable level.  If the withdrawal is too much, then cut smaller still.

Good luck!

• Posted

Betsy, oh my gosh,

I have been complaining about pains in my arms, hands and feet for months, could Mirt be the cause?

• Posted

Helo David,

I also have muscle pains in arms and hands and tingling, i just want to let you know.

• Posted

I am noticing quite a few people suffering from these symptoms.
  • Posted

Does anyone reference the recommended tapering chart that's out there on the Internet? I printed it when I started on Mirtazapine just in case. I can send it to you but don't know how to on this site. I understand they don't allow links?
    • Posted

Hello Jmk423,

When you know how to send a private message please send the tapering method to me to as you will.

I appriciate it very.

Or is it the chart with tapering from 7,5 mg and then once a week not taken it and so further?

I hope you understand what i am sayingsmile because it is difficult to translate my thoughts in English.

• Posted

Is it this one?

I copied.

week 1:

day 1: 7.5mg, day #2 7.5, day #3, 7.5, day #4 7.5, day #5 7.5, day #6 7.5, day #7 7.5

week 2:

day #1 7.5mg, day #2 7.5, day #3, 7.5, day #4 0mg, day #5 7.5, day #6 7.5, day #7 7.5

week 3:

day #1 7.5mg, day #2 7.5, day #3, 0mg, day #4 7.5, day #5 7.5, day #6 7.5, day #7 7.5

week 4:

day #1 0mg, day #2 7.5, day #3, 7.5, day #4 0mg, day #5 7.5, day #6 7.5, day #7 7.5

week 5:

day #1 0mg, day #2 7.5, day #3, 7.5, day #4 0mg, day #5 7.5, day #6 7.5, day #7 7.5

week 6:

week 7:

day #1 0mg, day #2 7.5, day #3, 0, day #4 7.5, day #5 0, day #6 7.5, day #7 7.5

week 8:

day #1 0mg, day #2 7.5, day #3, 0, day #4 7.5, day #5 0, day #6 7.5, day #7 7.5

week 9:

day #1 0mg, day #2 7.5, day #3, 0, day #4 7.5, day #5 0, day #6 7.5, day #7 0

week 10:

day #1 0mg, day #2 7.5, day #3, 0, day #4 7.5, day #5 0, day #6 7.5, day #7 0

week 11:

day #1 0mg, day #2 0, day #3, 7.5, day #4 0, day #5 0, day #6 7.5, day #7 0

week 12:

day #1  0mg, day #2 0, day #3, 7.5, day #4 0, day #5 0, day #6 7.5, day #7 0

week 13:

day #1  0mg, day #2 0, day #3, 0, day #4 7.5, day #5 0, day #6 7.5, day #7 0

week 14:

0mg, day #2 0, day #3, 7.5, day #4 0, day #5 0, day #6 0, day #7 0

• Posted

Hi Everyone

The method above isn't 'approved', in fact it looks pretty scarey (in my humble oipinion).  There isn't an official tapering chart on the internet, just the fact that one should taper no more than 10% every 4 weeks if you want to avoid nasty discontinuation symptoms.  Here is a link which may help with an informed choice:

For advice on tapering Mirtazapine slowly at the recommended rate of no more than 10% every 3 or 4 weeks, please see the following which is within this forum,

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

and then click on the link "REDUCING AD'S USING 10% WITHDRAWAL METHOD".

And here is a link to help cutting the dosages:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mirtazapine-tapering-simplified-510495

The chart above looks similar to what used to be the only advice out there which was called the CITA Protocol, that charity run website folded and has since been outdated, too many side effects and tapering nightmare symptoms.  Out system cannot cope with different doses on different days like the above, it throws our nervous system into panic I think.  I've been following the 10% for months and not really suffered, its a slow job but if its worth doing its worth doing well, rather than boomeranging, humpty dumpty back and forth up and down the doses.

Hope this helps some.

• Posted

Hey, Calmer!

So, realistically, what would I do if my mirtazapine comes in pill form. My doctor told me to break one 15mg pill in half, and take one of those every night for 2 weeks. Then, take half a pill every other day for 2 weeks, and then come off them altogether. In your opinion, does that seem too fast? I'm not sure how else to alter my dosages, given that my Mirtazapine isn't liquid or soluble. 

• Posted

Hi David

Yes too fast for me, I wouldn't expect General Practitioners to know much about tapering; really dislike the sound of alternating night on night off, the nervous system will be thrown into anx' I would expect.  I know you say you have only been on Mirt 3 months, you might be one of the very small percentage who get through wd in a few weeks.  

But I would at least read this, then you have an informed choice.  One option might be to take 3/4 of the 15mg pill (11.25 mg) for 2 weeks and wait for any reaction, sometimes it hits jus at 2 weeks, that way you will know how sensitive you might be to coming off this AD.  Then if all goes well, go down to 7.5 for 2 weeks, then 3.75 mg for 2 weeks, then try breaking it again, or follow the instruction in the 2nd link here.

Good luck David, let us know how it goes for you.

For advice on tapering Mirtazapine slowly at the recommended rate of no more than 10% every 3 or 4 weeks, please see the following which is within this forum,

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

and then click on the link "REDUCING AD'S USING 10% WITHDRAWAL METHOD".

And here is a link to help cutting the dosages:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mirtazapine-tapering-simplified-510495

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.