I've made my decision and my appointment is set!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have scheduled my surgery for Dec. 7.  My preop appointment is on Nov 10th to finalize everything.  I meet with the surgeon and anethesia both that day.  But I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared!  But I can't go on like this any longer.  I will have help the first 2 weeks and then on and off after that.  Definitely not what I had planned for the holidays but it actually works out the best for me to have help after the surgery.  All encouragement appreciated!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good luck Suzy with your surgery. Each person has to make the choice that they feel comfortable with and what they really need to help them. Especially for those who cannot urinate or have huge problems having a bowel movment. I am sure that could be very distruptive to daily living. Glad you have someone to help you for the first couple of weeks as well. I assume you did check out the surgeon who is doing the surgery and talked to others who have had this prodecure done. If you have done your complete homework then you are going into this with eyes wide open. Good for you and blessings to you.

Lynn

• Posted

Thank you Lynn. I have checked out my doc and was actually referred to him by a doc that I completely trust. I'm just so tired of sticking my finger in places they don't belong every time I go to the bathroom. smile
    • Posted

I can understand Suzy. It must be terrible to have to figure out where to push or what position to sit in order to try to urinate or have a bowel movement. I am very blessed that I don't have those bathroom issues, so I am able to manage my prolapse for the last ten years. I wish you the best and I am sure it will be okay and you will feel like a new person eventually that can finally sit down on the toilet and have a normal pee or normal bowel movement. Blessings to you.

Lynn

• Posted

I am in much the same position as you!  I wrote a long post around right months ago when I had see the uro gynae who had diagnosed grade II rectocele, cystocele and stress incontinence and was trying out the pelvic floor physio which frankly has done nothing to aid my symptoms.  Like you I am at the stage where I cannot possibly carry on this way.  I should have a date for surgery in next few days hopefully.  Am dreading it all infact that is an inderstatement and am suffering terrible anxiety with all this which is taking over my life.  Bladder urgency and frequency as bad as ever as it left flank and side pain, bloated stomach and backpain etc...  I think every woman who goes through this deserves a medal I honestly do as it makes life absolutely intolerable.  I wish you all the luck with your surgery.  If you need any help or if I can help atall let me know.  As we are both having surgery soon we may be able to help one another with a few little pointers.  For now am sending you best wishes that surgery will help us both to feel normal once again. 
  • Posted

forgot to mention I am having vaginal surgery for the rectocele and cystocele without any mesh.  Later on I may need another op for the stress incontinence if that persists but paying this surgery will help alleviate me of the main awful debilitating symptoms
    • Posted

Lorelli that would be great if we could help each other. I'm not having the mesh either. The doc suggested not doing that right now. I trust his decision.
    • Posted

if you would like to ask me anything or discuss what my uro gynae is advising me please private message me any time.  If we can help one another would be great  I am beyond anxious so maybe we can help put one another at ease.  I am 42 and have endured a long complex medical history over the last 20 year period.  They say these things make us stronger. I pray they are right smile 
    • Posted

dear suzy please could you private message me your reply again as by mistake I deleted it from my new Samsung phone just as i was reading it as I am still trying to learn to use my new phone.

got surgery tomorrow and remain petrified.

will reply properly once I receive your message talk to you soon

• Posted

Hi Suzy,

I am 71 and had my surgery on July 3rd, almost 4 months ago.  I had a hysterectomy with anterior and posterior repairs - Canadian terms.  Depending on where you live, it's rectocyle and cystocele or something like that. Everything was done vaginally and I came home the day after surgery.  I was told nothing in the vagina for six weeks and no baths.  Start walking as soon as it's comfortable to do so which for me was the afternoon of the surgery. Absolutely no lifting of anything more than 10 lbs for six weeks - I had a scale in the trunk of my car.  The restriction helped my walking for sure.  I had help at home for the first two weeks only.  I started driving locally (rural area) during the day and driving anywhere after 3 weeks.  I returned to my desk job after 4 weeks.  The prolapses are held in place with titatinum mesh.  The surgery was done by a urogynacologist.  After six weeks, I went back to everything I used to do - but with more ease because the hanging stuff was gone....That includes cutting a half acre of grass on a hill and being the main caregiver for my husband who is disabled.  The lawn mower is self propelled but doesn't work on its own unfortunately - lol.  And hubby is not able to help with anything.

Surgery was the best decision I have ever made in my life so far.  The first few weeks were not good at all so be prepared.  They never tell you what might happen because everyone is different.  Common threads seem to be constipation  - do whatever you have to and take whatever you have to - to keep your bowels moving without straining after surgery.  Another thing which happens frequently is incontinence.  This is temporary for almost all of us - it disappears gradually over 3-4 weeks.  Fatigue seems to be a problem for many.  I had the first two but not the third.  My best friend had the same surgery about 20 years ago and she was perfectly fine with none of the above problems and went back to near normal after about 10 days.  We are all so different.

One thing is that those in the UK seems to be given far more restrictions than those of us in Canada and the US.  So depends on where you live.  They don't tell you what might happen in case it doesn't eg my friend.

But I was terribly concerned and frightened post-surgery when "stuff" happened which I didn't know was OK or not.  Best advice I got was if you are concerned, call surgeon's office.  They were incredibly supportive.

But the best support I got was right here - this site helped me save my sanity - especially in those first few very trying weeks.  And it's the only site I have ever been on where we cheer each other's ability to finally go poo!  Trust me, sounds funny now but it wasn't then at all.

Don't be afraid to say whatever is troublilng you.  It's sure someone else experienced the same thing and can encourage or inform you.  Your doctor's office of course is always the right choice for an answer but you can get soothing help here.

Make sure you get a phone number you can call post surgery if you have any questions - very important to have.

My timing wasn't great either - I felt lousy for all of June and lost July.  Still had restrictions for most of August so I had no summer this year really.  And being Canadian, that sucks.

Good luck.  You will be fine - and you won't regret it.  I find so many of us who have had successful surgery and quick recoveries don't stick around the site long enough to support others.  I intend to keep encouraging others as long as I can.  I am so grateful for the help I got here that I can only try to reciprocate.

Take care and let us know how you fare out - both you and Lorelli.  She is right - you can support each other.  I made a friend in the UK whose surgery was at the same time as mine so we were able to support each other.

Nickie

• Posted

Thank you Nickie. I've had the issues for several years but was told about a year ago what it was. I found this site then. It will be a great source of support. That's why when I finally scheduled the surgery I knew to come back here. And hearing from others like you who have had good experiences really helps. I will keep everyone updated.

• Posted

Suzy, it's a good decision:-))))  This will change your life.  Get lots of books and things to do so you can rest afterwards and keep us all updated.  We all wish you a speedy recovery:-)))  You know everyone is here for you if you have any worries at all:-)))))
    • Posted

Thanks Chris. And that's exactly why I'm here. I checked for other forums but none are like this one and most aren't even current. I'm sure I will have a lot of questions before this is all over.
    • Posted

I had a rectocele and perinium repair on the 8th of October and despite the occasional pain when having a BM have not looked back! Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks Gwen! That's pretty much exactly what I'm having done. I have some other health issues that I'm hoping stay quiet and don't cause problems after the surgery. I'm scared of course but I'm gonna stay positive that I'll have a good outcome.
    • Posted

I am in exactly the same boat as you.  Infact will be having the surgery next week so fingers crossed all will go well. I am having an anterior and posterior repair without the mesh but am dreading it all the same.  They say I should stay in hospital for 2 - 3 days afterward depending on how things go but I think more than anything that is due to my previous health issues and complex history so maybe they will want to keep a closer eye on me. Right now I also have an awful thrush infection to add insult to injury which I am trying to rid ahead of surgery.  My endocrinologist thinks all the UTIs and thrush infections I get are from the prolapse and says that when things in that area (so to speak) are out of sinc and not in place this can greatly increase the risk of all these infections.  My immune is weak and I just want to feel stronger.  Like you I also have other health issues which I also hope will take a back seat to let me deal with all this.  If you want to speak to me about anything just private message me anytime.  I will have my new samsung with me in the hospital next week so hopefully could answer any questions you have.  Fingers crossed for both of us for sure xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.