I've never been this sick.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with shingles 18 days ago. Patches on my forehead causing swelling. And a couple of patches around my left eye. My doc took one look and said, 'oh-you've got shingles"...here's 7 days of Valtrex, sent me to the eye doc who confirmed.

Within 3 days the sites dried up and swelling went down and I was feeling fine. Four days later I started sneezing and had a mild sore throat. And started feeling generally unwell. So I went back to the doc and he said I was unlucky enough to have gotten the flu on top of the shingles.

I immediately broke out the nedni pot and within 3 days all head cold related issues were cleared up. No fever, no sore throat, no runny nose.

But suddenly I started aching in my legs and feeling weak. It's now been 10 days and all I can do is lay in the bed. Being hit with rounds of weakness, aches and slight nausea. I'll wake up in the morning feeling ok, then my 11a the waves start hitting. And it's like that all day and into the night.

I've never had shingles, I'm 48 yr old male in general good health. And I feel like I'm dying here. I thought I'd for sure feel better after 10 full days of laying in the bed.

Is this a normal thing with shingles? How much longer am I in for? I'm supposed to leave for a 12 day work trip in 9 days. And honestly, if I still feel like this, I don't think I can do it.

Any thoughts? Could this be the flu or still the shingles virus? Thanks in advance.

2 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dear Thedwp,

As you have ophthalmolic shingles, you probably are experiencing "flu symptoms" from the Herpes Zoster-Shingles, and not from influenza, as it waxes and wanes. The eye pain and inflammation causes the runny nose, and sniffles, and perhaps a mild cough... As a long-time recurrent patient, this is how Zoster presents itself. What I do know is that it is essential to eat the basic food groups, take the antivirals immediately, and as prescribed for the entire week, and I now take a multi-vitamin daily, although I eat fruits and vegetables and protein, and almost no fat. You almost must rest in order to recover more quickly. Obey your body.

• Posted

Hi Thedwp

It could be either causing this but sounds like it could well be the post viral symptoms of shingles. Seems as though they can vary greatly from person to person. I had 4 weeks when I just couldn't get out of bed in the morning but a few days ago I woke up and felt like my old self, ie ready to conquer the world. BUT it's deceptive, I still get tired really easily.

Like jon 5 says, rest and don't do the business trip unless you feel you can.

Get well soon.

• Posted

Thanks LoisSwe...what you described has been my goal for many days now. I just want to feel like my old self. Im really trying to take it extra easy because missing this biz trip would be a big deal. I'm under contract and these things can't be rescheduled.

So fingers crossed!

Thanks again for your input.

• Posted

Sadly there's no good way to predict how long an outbreak will last. I had my first outbreak more than twenty years ago. They come and go will no regularity and sometimes last for a few days. And sometimes last for weeks. I don't know where you are in your attack right now. But as soon as you see the first sign of an outbreak you need to see your doctor, or even just go to a walk-in clinic and get yourself on and anti-viral. If money is an issue you ask for acyclovir. If you have coverage you can ask for Valtrex or Famvir. But you need to get on some form of anti-viral as soon as possible. It won't cure the shingles, and it probably won't completely reverse the outbreak. But, it will usually moderate the outbreak and give you some relief. It's especially important to see a doctor if your rash is near your eyes. Also because with weeping blisters. If you touch one, you can spread it to your eyes. So wash your hands a lot while you have the rash.
  • Posted

Update: I received my blood work back and everything was normal. White count was all good. No signs of anything out of the ordinary.

And 19 days after my shingles diagnosis, I think I'm finally returning to normal. (Fingers crossed). Not to say there will prob be a gradual work up to my normal pace. But at least there's hope for that.

And for all the docs out there who refuse or just ignore the very real post shingles outbreak (not related to the nerve damage) where patients are laid out from fatigue, weakness, stomach issues, etc...they should take the time to research out real world patient progress.

I was made to feel I had come down with 'something else' because my immune system was down (not saying that can't happen), which caused me all sorts of other anxieties. When in reality, I had/have a scary dormant virus reactivate and totally kick my butt.

You can read a lot of different stuff on these health boards, but I've never read as many consistent symptoms spread out through so many people who all had a shingles out break in common. Including my own personal family members.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. Knowing you were there going through the same thing made me feel validated and not crazy!

• Posted

I have anxiety about it too. I should go get my blood work done. I figured getting it done while I feel bad would, for sure, manipulate my white count. I read all the symptoms and I know it's what I am experiencin, but I just haven't felt well for so long, it makes my mind spin. Thanks for letting us know.
    • Posted

Hey Michelle,

I actually thought the same thing about having blood work done while feeling bad would make my numbers go off the charts.

I was dreading looking at my results. But more than anything it will give you and your doc a real snapshot of the chemistry going on inside. This will allow you to see if there are other things you and the doc should address....but more than likely, you'll see your levels are normal and at least know that on the inside you're body is in line and working for you.

I would encourage you to move forward. For me, I feel like a huge brick has been lifted. Now I can just push through this and get back to my normal self.

Good luck!

• Posted

Glad all was OK with your blood. My tests were good too. Hopeyou feel better soon.
    • Posted

Thank you. I needed to hear that. I'm can't believe how scared I am that it is something worse. I really need to just go do it!!
    • Posted

Dear THEDWP,

You and the rest of us are not crazy, just angry that too many physicians discount the patients' ongong symptomatology, despite the huge body of evidence. Glad you are recovering.

Best of luck

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I know what you mean Merry. When I was telling my doc how i was feeling he was looking at me 'with that look' they give you when they don't know what to say.

If you're not bleeding or having a heart attack, or something obvious it's almost like they think it's in your head. I've lost count when I've gone to the doc with real symptoms and was diagnose with 'anxiety'. It's their go to when they don't know what else to say.

It's really aggravating. I was have a pretty ok day until this evening and the same ole symptoms floored me. Leg aches, fatigue, etc. regardless of the positive blood test report, these symptoms are very real and seem to be lasting way too long.

• Posted

Dear Thedwp,

Just know, you are not alone in this disease. ..this forum is the only place I actually tell the truth about the symptoms...my twin is the only other person who has any inkling of the devastation caused by the disease.

Keep your chin up...

Merry Juliana

• Posted

It is so frustrating isn't it? You want to be better and try to convince yourself you are and you want to start doing normal activities again but then it hits you - actually you're still really weak. 

Other people don't get it (unless you have a shingles breakout on your face) even if some really try to; I know I didn't! I had heard very little about it and thought it was only old people that got it.

If you say one day that you are feeling a bit better (because you want to be positive) then people take that as completely better and find it really strange if you are not your normal self from then on. I have felt like a real wuzz and as though I'm playing for sympathy.

I would be happy if I found just one doctor who knows about shingles!

• Posted

Exactly. You hit the nail on the head! It is so hard for anyone to understand.
    • Posted

Hi Shoe Lady,

At least you have a fantastic sense of humor. As I have Zoster in my ear currently, the nerve root extends below the brain, I am severely ataxic. Two nights ago I fell when on the phone with my twin. Fortunately, I saved my head from cracking it on something hard. (I am on Coumadin and have had 2 strokes, can't afford more brain damage LOL.) I planted myself on the couch and did not do a thing, yesterday. My husband helped me with a bath( in and out of the tub) I am fiercely independent, but this has been worse than the strokes, as I have recovered from them. These episodes every three to five weeks with the Ataxia, fatigue, fever, malaise, weakness, pain, etc and the physicians not getting it. Grrr! Thanks for listening.

I did post the news about Shingrix, the new Shingles vaccine by GlaxoSmithKline this forum. They are asking for formal approval in 2016. The new vaccine has 97.2% efficacy as opposed to Zostavax, which has the low 50% range and 37% if you are >70 years. Hooray! I do not know if it will help us, the repeat offenders, but if others don't have to go through this, so much the better. GSK did not test it on individuals already suffering from Herpes Zoster-Shingles. As with the Zostavax, I bet it might help some of us.

Here's to the future!

Cheers!

• Posted

Dear Lois,

I understand completely what you are saying. It is a rare Physician of today that understands what a patient is living through. I have had a few of them, I drive 1-2 hours when I find them. My identical twin gets it and knows my schedule for Herpes Zoster-Shingles, every three to five weeks, and how the symptoms are for me! In fact, I fell, due to the Ataxia as I have Zoster in my right ear. I saved myself from cracking my head on something hard, though, I can't afford more brain damage as I had two strokes. Fortunately, I had the clot buster drug tPA each time and completely recovered from them.

The great news is that GlaxoSmithKline is asking for formal approval for the new Shingles vaccine, Shingrix in 2016. The efficacy rate is 97.6% as opposed to Zostavax which has a rate in the low 50s, and 37% if you are >70years.

They only tested healthy subjects. Who knows if it will help us, the repeaters. I hope so! I would like to think so!

Cheers!

• Posted

Hi Thedwp

I was wondering when you had your blood tested, do you know what they tested for? I just had my done this morning. They just did a CBC,

• Posted

Normal!!!! I was very relieved, but at the same time amazed that shingles is capable of causing such Havoc on my body by itself. I am just happy that I can blame this feeling on the shingles.
    • Posted

Congrats! Great news. Just knowing everything is in check in terms of bloodwork gives my mind space to cope, challenge and focus on getting through this.

Glad to hear it!

• Posted

Thanks for posting your courage to follow up on bloodwork. It was contagious and got me to do it 😊
    • Posted

Glad that we are all so healthy (according to our blood!). Mine was good too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.