I've never been this sick.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with shingles 18 days ago. Patches on my forehead causing swelling. And a couple of patches around my left eye. My doc took one look and said, 'oh-you've got shingles"...here's 7 days of Valtrex, sent me to the eye doc who confirmed.

Within 3 days the sites dried up and swelling went down and I was feeling fine. Four days later I started sneezing and had a mild sore throat. And started feeling generally unwell. So I went back to the doc and he said I was unlucky enough to have gotten the flu on top of the shingles.

I immediately broke out the nedni pot and within 3 days all head cold related issues were cleared up. No fever, no sore throat, no runny nose.

But suddenly I started aching in my legs and feeling weak. It's now been 10 days and all I can do is lay in the bed. Being hit with rounds of weakness, aches and slight nausea. I'll wake up in the morning feeling ok, then my 11a the waves start hitting. And it's like that all day and into the night.

I've never had shingles, I'm 48 yr old male in general good health. And I feel like I'm dying here. I thought I'd for sure feel better after 10 full days of laying in the bed.

Is this a normal thing with shingles? How much longer am I in for? I'm supposed to leave for a 12 day work trip in 9 days. And honestly, if I still feel like this, I don't think I can do it.

Any thoughts? Could this be the flu or still the shingles virus? Thanks in advance.

2 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I just have to say how crazy this has been. To be honest, I can't tell if I'm even improving. If I am it's so gradual I can't tell.

I'll have a pretty good day...then a day of aches and fatigue. Then an ok day. It's been the pattern for weeks.

I want to believe I'm improving everyday but recurrent symptoms make it a little discouraging.

I think I mentioned this but my aunt who had shingles recently described it as a "grueling six weeks!" In some ways it made me feel better knowing there's light...its just gonna take more time.

• Posted

Sorry, CBC, cholesterol, comp. metabolic panel and lipids. Is that what you had drawn?
    • Posted

The first test was a CBC, then they added a check of my liver, Kidneys and electrolites. All came back normal which gave me some peace of mind.
  • Posted

THEDWP,

Unfortunately, recovering from Herpes Zoster-Shingles is a process that takes the tincture of time and patience. It is difficult when you are used to being dynamic and energetic. Go easy on yourself.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks for the reminder. I'm just having a bad day. Feeling very weak and nauseous. Still trying to believe this is a result of shingles and not something more sinister.
    • Posted

Thedwp,

You might find this amusing as I have been trying to tell you recovering from Herpes Zoster-Shingles is a process, be patient with yourself, etc. .. I am recovering from yet another bout of Zoster, and I do know the drill.. this was a particularly nasty one that lasted far longer with ataxia, I actually fell a couple of times....Anyway, I was feeling better the last couple of days, then BAM! I felt so horrible yesterday I first thought it was Zoster-Shingles, again, then, by evening, I was worried I was going to have my third. stroke. Needless to say, I didn't want the first two. I was having cardiac arrhythmias, etc. I took my BP,which was elevated, highly unusual, then realized, I hadn't taken my slew of morning pills. I was so relieved and laughed so hard at myself...I take meds for arrhythmias and high BP and prevention of herpetic neuralgia.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Merry, sorry to hear you've been hit again. Sounds like you have a lot going on. I can barely keep my mind focused on this slow recovery. Yesterday I had my first full symptom free day...but today, the leg aches are back. sad

I also deal with arrhythmias, I had to have a cardiac ablation to fix SVT several years ago. Fortunatly, I don't have to take meds anymore. 

Hang in there! We're all on the same slow train. 

• Posted

Thank you,

Thedwp. So very kind of you. I was trying to get you to laugh at my situation. May I ask what Thedwp stands for? I have guessed a few things...

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Sorry you two are still feeling bad. I now feel like my old self but am a lot more tired than usual and body like a jellyfish after not having exercised for ages! Must force myself to lift some weights today. Only thing left is a slight tenderness of the scalp which could be there for some time according to what Iv'e read. Hope you are both feeling better soon.
    • Posted

Glad to hear you're on the other side. Looking forward to that day.
    • Posted

Haven't exercised for over 3 months. First I spent Christmas with family in England and didn't exercise. On New Year's Day i flew to South Africa (work and holiday) where I only swam in a small pool. Too dangerous to go out running. got back home 12 Jan and immediately got bad sinus for 3 weeks. Just got over that and then came the shingles! So over 3 months. A break this long really makes a difference when you are my age (56) and you are

naturally not as motivated as you were when you were younger. I know I can get back into it but I feel as though I'm at square one. Better get started right now ... just need another cup of tea first!

• Posted

Take it slow. Last month (3 months after the shingles, sinus infection, and the flu) I started running and doing my hot yoga again. I felt good. 2 weeks later, I started my whole upper respiratory and fatigue and general yuckiness again, and developed one small blister on my back. I am still tired now, but feeling much better than I have been, so I'm introducing walks and gentle yoga without heat. I hope I keep feeling better and do not relapse again. I think it's better to veer on the side of less is more.
    • Posted

Thank you Lois for your kind thoughts. Your comparison to a jellyfish is quite apt. Fortunately, today I feel more an upswing. My four sisters and I plan an annual sister trip ever since I was severely ill in 2011. We range in age from 64, my twin and I, to 69. The dynamics are always interesting as we all had leadership positions in our careers. The older sisters like to think that they are still in control.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.