I've never been this sick.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with shingles 18 days ago. Patches on my forehead causing swelling. And a couple of patches around my left eye. My doc took one look and said, 'oh-you've got shingles"...here's 7 days of Valtrex, sent me to the eye doc who confirmed.

Within 3 days the sites dried up and swelling went down and I was feeling fine. Four days later I started sneezing and had a mild sore throat. And started feeling generally unwell. So I went back to the doc and he said I was unlucky enough to have gotten the flu on top of the shingles.

I immediately broke out the nedni pot and within 3 days all head cold related issues were cleared up. No fever, no sore throat, no runny nose.

But suddenly I started aching in my legs and feeling weak. It's now been 10 days and all I can do is lay in the bed. Being hit with rounds of weakness, aches and slight nausea. I'll wake up in the morning feeling ok, then my 11a the waves start hitting. And it's like that all day and into the night.

I've never had shingles, I'm 48 yr old male in general good health. And I feel like I'm dying here. I thought I'd for sure feel better after 10 full days of laying in the bed.

Is this a normal thing with shingles? How much longer am I in for? I'm supposed to leave for a 12 day work trip in 9 days. And honestly, if I still feel like this, I don't think I can do it.

Any thoughts? Could this be the flu or still the shingles virus? Thanks in advance.

2 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just thought I'd give an update. I've been (and still am) on a 9 day business trip. For the most part ive been ok. But I'm still suffering symptoms. Mainly leg cramps, nausea and some weakness. I think the longest I've gone is 2 days with no symptoms. Then wham! They come right back. I think I'm roughly nearing week 5 with these symptoms. The nausea seems to be getting worse.

Just when I think I've moved on I get pulled right back. I hope everyone else here has fully recovered and isn't having to deal with this mystery.

• Posted

Enjoy those good days, but don't over due it ever!!! Whenever I would have a good day in the past, I would start doing all kinds of stuff to catch up or just to do what I like, and then I would plummet again. I have been doing better, longer because, even on my good days, I focus on taking care of myself. I read about foods to avoid. Chocolate and nuts/seeds. They are high in argenine, which stimulates shingles. I've been pretty good about avoiding them (chocolate is so hard!!)

Hope this helps and here's to many more good days!

• Posted

Dear Thedwp,

While I am glad you were able to make the business trip, and am hoping that your illness does not affect the final results, I appreciate how difficult it is to be burdened by the roller-coaster ride of the disease and myriad of symptoms. You have been in my thoughts as you slowly recover from this episode.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks Merry...I've had some rough patches but I'm actually glad I went. At least it took my mind off of this crazy coaster ride for a while.
    • Posted

Glad to hear you're doing better. This does help re-shift thinking to take better care of ourselves. I'm about to start a regime of Oliveleaf extract. Hoping it will help put this insane virus back in its box.
  • Posted

Meanwhile...to Michelle and Thedwp

Another episode for me...you have to laugh, otherwise, you would cry. I learned to try to keep busy with my plans, my life, my friends despite or really to spite the Zoster at this point.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Oh no!!! I know you have had this for a while, so I'm sure you've tried all the diet changes and additives and any other immune boosting remedies??? Accupuncture? Yoga?
    • Posted

Michelle,

I tried everything I know to do. How would Acupuncture help prevent Shingles? I don't think a practitioner could access my inner ear, the site of the pain, for the lesions. I actually eat very well. I am pretty desperate as the episodes are tiresome, literally and metaphorically.

The new vaccine coming out I really doubt will work on us repeaters, as that is not how vaccines work. They work by tricking the body into thinking you already had the disease by giving you antibodies against it the disease.

Well, Miss Shoe Lady, I appreciate your understanding. It helps to know that some of us care about each other.

Happy Spring

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I have been doing accupuncture for the pain and boosting my immune system. I know many think it is hokus pokus, but honestly Merry, I really think it is helping. I also am using a product that this site wil not let me name that has proven to increase the TCell count in many clinical studies. Anyways, the accupuncture stimulates blood flow to areas of the body that trigger the immune system. It is important to find a knowledgable accupuncturist because they are just like dr.'s, some good, some bad, some so so.
    • Posted

Michelle,

What type of product is it that boosts the immune system? I certainly believe that acupuncture works as an anesthetic process. Acupressure reduced one of my migraines.

I live in a rural area, (ie not progressive) in the States, which limits my options.

I have done a lot of work on myself. It sounds like I had cosmetic surgery. ..giggle giggle. I had lumbar and cervical spinal fusions and laminectomies, my elbows and wrists repaired to decompress trapped ulnar and radial nerves, my cataracts extracted, and breast cancer taken care of within the last four years to keep me healthy and in shape. I'll try almost anything legal.

Thanks.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

If I try and name the product, this sight blocks my reply. Not sure how to get this information to you. It is food in a pill form. It's been around for 30 or so years. Im only on 60 days of using it, and the studies show changes starting after 80 days. So we will see how I feel in another month. I've been researching a lot about it and talking with people who have personal experiences with it.

Sounds like you have had a very eventful 4 years. Please tell me some of those surgeries have had positive results?!

• Posted

Michelle,

Actually, I've had two ischemic strokes, one in 2008 and 2013. I received tPA so that I am not paralyzed or aphasic. Regarding the back and neck surgeries, I was walking with a walker for the last six months prior to surgery and had chronic severe pain for the six years prior to the back surgery. I now have no back or neck pain, and have full strength in both my arms and legs. To me it was miraculous to go from severe pain and bilateral arm and leg severe weaknesses to no pain and essentially full strength and tone to my muscle groups after physical therapy. Of course, I chose an excellent neurosurgeon. All of the surgeries had excellent results. The cataract surgeries were necessary as I could no longer safely drive. I could literally no longer read at all, which was terrible for me. I never took analgesics for the back or neck pain as I am allergic to NSAIDS. I am doing well now compared to before. The reason I had two ischemic strokes was atrial fibrillation, and I am on Coumadin for that as prophylaxis. My major issue is just the Herpes Zoster-Shingles every three weeks.

But, I am much better than I was.. Thank you for listening. It is nice to have someone who cares and understands.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I am happy to listen : ). You have been through so much. It gives me confidence that you can beat this shingles virus. Do not stop trying to find the key to triggering your immune system and, of course, listening to your body carefully.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.