I've seen my foot for the first time since surgery!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had Akin Osteotomy on 20th October 2014 and went to get my stitches out today and got to see my foot for the first time since the surgery! I've attached some before and after pictures.

I am so happy with the result and surprised that there isnt much swelling. I have kept my foot elevated for the past 2 weeks and aim to do it as much as possible over the next month or so. I've been lucky and not had any pain since the 2nd day, but expect this may begin once I start walking a bit more. I only had every other stitch taken out in the end as they said the wound was not totally healed so getting the rest out in 5 days. I am so pleased with the resultand cant stop looking at the pictures! I am looking forward to going shoe shopping once I am fully recovered!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there, what a fab job your surgeon did! The foot looks an fab and as you said hard key any swelling which is great! My big toe looks like sausage and my surgery was 8 weeks ago!
  • Posted

Hi, pretty much the same as mine, although I had both of mine done together. I had dissolvable stitches and only had to have the looped ends snipped off. It is interesting to read all the different accounts from the others on this site. Keep up with the elevation as much as you can, your foot will soon let you know when it has had enough of either walking or sitting with your feet on the ground 😉 I am 7 weeks post op and cannot wait to get out of the special shoes, although I suspect I could wear trainers about now, only my next appointment isn't until the 20th as I couldn't make an earlier one. I don't want to risk it until the surgeon has seen my next lot of X-rays. Good luck with the rest of your recovery and also if you are having your other foot done next year. Soon be back tap dancing 😜
  • Posted

That looks absolutely brilliant!

Where did you get it done?

All best wishes for a speedy recovery too!

• Posted

Thank you! I had it done at UCL - they're really friendly and really quick response too.
  • Posted

Lovely job! I'd forgotten the arrow they draw onto the foot - funny how they resort to such a low tech method, 'x' marks the spot ☺
    • Posted

I know.. one doctor drew a massive arrow on my leg, then another doctor drew one on my foot!
  • Posted

Wow looks fab! I had both done saw mine tody too. Really happy with big toes but one were so bad I think I will have quite a big gap between my big toes and next toes but overall so much better than before! Good luck with yours x
  • Posted

Well done your foot looks very pretty. Yes elevation is key. Also please watch yr wound keep it dry and monitor for infection eg redness heat pain discharge. My wound has just healed at 3 weeks there is a lot of pressure on this site with swelling and being over a joint. I find a non stick dry dressing really helps . Dressing must be changed if wound oozy and dressing gets soggy or wet. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the advice, I still have stitches in so not getting it wet yet anyway.
  • Posted

Hi your foot looks fab

I'm due to have my dressing off tomoro I've had a bunion and hammer toe op

I've had virtually no pain and am able to get about the house ok

I am wondering what shoes you took with you to put on after the dressing was removed

I am thinking ugg boots 

• Posted

Hi, I still have stitches in so the foot was rebandaged, but a lot slimmer version to what I had post op. How long ago did you have the operation? I am only 2 weeks post op so still have the heel weight bearing boot to wear for another 4 weeks. The bandage I have now is a lot smaller though so my foot is getting cold, I've managed to put a big sock on it to keep warm.
  • Posted

Did you use your crutches the whole time and did you have any pins 
  • Posted

Did you use your crutches the whole time and did you have any pins 
    • Posted

Hi I have a heel weight bearing shoe and crutches for 6 weeks in total. I can walk around the house a little without the crutches but best to use them as my balance is a bit off and without them you tend to not walk solely on your heel. I have a screw but nothing to be taken out at a later stage. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.