I was diagnosed with diverticulitis 10 days ago. I have some questions

Posted , 5 users are following.

Should I still be having chills? I've finished both antibiotics still eating bland food. I go to see my crohn's doctor this coming Tuesday. Is that to long to wait?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am the same. I have had Crohns for over 11 years but recently was diagnosed with diverticulitis. We seem to have multiple issues and I empathise with you. Tuesday is only a few days away as it is Friday here in Australia.

Can you take paracetamol for the chills? I get that when air conditioning is on but I did not connect it to the Crohns.

I am on salazopyrin for Crohns which manages it well.

If you are worried before Tuesday call an ambulance because that is what I would do in Australia and they check you out and take you to the hospital if necessary. Do you have any other symptoms?

Hope you will be okay.

• Posted

Thank you for your fast response. These are my symptoms that I'm having.. chills, feeling of lower pressure on lower left side, feeling like I've got to go to the rest room all the time, and Nauseated with smells. I'm allergic to a lot of medicines so it's hard for doctors to put me on anything. I've been dealing with rectrum spasms for the last 6 months. My family doctor thinks it's been the diverticulitis acting up. But my CP doctor thought it was spasms from CP. On the 15 of this month ended up in ER with agonizing pain. The ER doctor put me on leviquin and Flagyl. Yesterday was the last of them both.

• Posted

On 15th the doctor did Ct scan with contrast and said that I had diverticulitis pretty bad. But didn't feel that I needed to stay. I'm curious because like I mentioned earlier I'm going on 9 days having this.

• Posted

It sometimes take longer to heal than others. If you know your early symtoms you can start your own treatments. Sorry you are going through though this.
    • Posted

Thank you Sam52768. Like was saying earlier this is the first flare I've ever had. I've been reading up on diverticulitis. And it's a vicious disease from what I've been reading. Thank you for your response 😊

• Posted

I wonder why you only have to take FLagy only 7 days and I have to take it for 14 days ?
  • Posted

What combo antibiotics did you take, I have to take mine for 14 days 🙁 Have you checked your temp? What test did you take to find out you had  diverticulitis ? Mine was with Ct scan w/contrast 

• Posted

They gave me Flagyl 500 mgs 3x's a day and levaquin 500mgs. I'm allergic to augmentin anything with amoxicillin, penicillin or sulfurs in them. At the ER I had a Ct w/ contrast. That's how they saw the diverticulitis. I go to my Gastroenterologist Tuesday 31 for a follow up. I'm not running a temp. But I keep getting goose bumps on top of goose bumps. The ER doctor also told me to eat a bland diet and drink plenty of fluids. 😊

• Posted

Also I feel a lot of pressure on lower left side
    • Posted

I have that and also feel the pressure when I stand and walk mines below navel in center and left . Uncomfortable feeling when standing and walking . 
    • Posted

I'm allergic to all the penicillins and its cousin I'm hope I don't have a reaction to Bactrim tomorrow I have never taking it 🙁 This stuff with all these antibiotics has me a nervous wreck I'm in such a panic starting that bactrim tomorrow I have very bad panic off and on all day!!!

• Posted

Yes it is very uncomfortable. This is my first time being diagnosed with diverticulitis. So I've been asking questions and reading up on it. I got to my Gastroenterologist on the 31st of this month.

• Posted

I break out in hives. I'm hoping Tuesday Gastroenterologist will know of something I can take.

• Posted

This is my first time diagnosed with it too and just like you I was hurting so bad and when I went to ladies room I had bloody mucos discharge with bowel movements did you ? I also got the Ct scan w/contras and 5 tubes of blood work and bowel and urine sample bowel sample showed blood.
    • Posted

I seen my gastro today @ 1:00  I posted the update on here earlier 
    • Posted

Yes they did do blood work and an urine sample. I had blood in urine. The day before my attack my bm was orange. They struggled to find a vain to draw blood and to get Iv started. I was dehydrated. I don not want to go through that again. So I'm praying.. that they can find another antibiotic to put me on. Or it's just going to be a slow recovery for me. I'm really getting tired of the bland foods. Lol

• Posted

how is your bland food  name some like what you're eating ?

• Posted

The first couple of days chicken broth with crackers Apple sauce to take meds with. Then by middle of week I started eating soups like chicken noodle. By weekend I made some egg noodles with chicken broth. In mornings either whites of scramble eggs toast and oatmeal. I've been eating apple sauce. Jello and pudding and sherbet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.